Take your marks….. GO!! Hi guys, I’m here to tell you about our latest and greatest project we have done in maker, Live Event Videooooooooooossssss!!!

This Live Event Video was a, well, a video documenting an event we participated in, told in a sports event broadcasting way. You got a little hint from up above about what mine was about, when you heard the “Take your marks go!” Hinting towards the fact that my video focuses on a swim meet I participated in with my school team, the Seyhawks. It was just an exhibition meet but still exhilarating and an awesome experience. A little competition doesn’t hurt anybody! And that’s kind of the feeling I wanted people to get out of my video.

Since this was a swim meet that only happened on one day for a few hours, I would only have one chance to film. So, I knew I had to make a plan before going since I needed to know the shots I had to film, pictures I had to take, and Slow-mos and Time lapses I had to record. Of course, as this was a school assignment, there were some requirements as well but other than that it was pretty open ended and I could make it my own. I made an Action Plan which is a checklist full of things to do, like a to-do list bust specifically for video making.

I got the idea of this Action Plan from a video making book made by apple called “Anyone Can Create Video’s!”It’s full of tips and tricks for all different kinds of film making but I specifically read from page 79 onwards for a bit because it is all about capturing Live Events as they happen, at that is what I had to do. So after I captured all of my slow mos, time lapses, interviews, and other shots, it was time to put it all together in an epic video that makes you feel like you are there, experiencing the competition. Because as I said before, the mood I wanted people to get from my video is that a little competition isn’t bad for anyone.

Afterwards, I made another video about what certain parts of the video mean and why and how  I did them. It is quite a bit longer because of all of the extra voice overs I did so it’s not a mandatory thing you HAVE to watch, I’m not forcing you, it’s just if you want a bit more detail about how I made the video.

For this project, I actually did two drafts. The first one was pretty similar to my final one other than I put my whole entire interview plopped into one section and there were a few minor things such as audio that I needed to fix. After that, it was close to perfect, but of course there is always room for improvement. I am very proud of how it turned out and I think it really captures what it feels like to be at a swim meet.

From this project, I learned just how difficult it must be for sports broadcasters and recorders to do their job. I had this whole image in my head of what I wanted my video to look like before I filmed, and then after I filmed and got all the angles I could, all of the film I could, it wasn’t exactly the same. It was really hard to get the exact angles since there were people EVERYWHERE, some people didn’t want me to film them swimming so I was stuck with only certain races to work with, and I also didn’t get enough transition film. But there were also positives about the experience. I learned how to integrate an interview into a video properly and I learned how to film and put together a whole new genre of video! I hope everyone enjoyed my Live Event Video and have a groovy day!

~Jordyn 😁