(Intense music) We are almost at the finish line, the final challenge, the final level! Now, you may be asking, what final challenge, what final level, well………. IT IS THE END OF THE VIDEO MAKING UNIT!! DA DA DAAAAAA!

If you remember from past video making posts which include “Go Seyhawks Go”, part of “We Went to Alberat”, and “The Mountains Make Us”, it was a pretty important part of our learning so far this year. So this final video is like the big test, a test for what we have learned and it takes place around take your kid to work day.

Take your kid to work day is an event that happens once a year where all grade 9’s across the country go to work with their parents, oooorrrr really just someone you know. This day took place on Wednesday Nov.14 this year and I went to work with my dad who is the president of Capilano Builders. Job shadowing our parent is important, not because that might be the job we do one day, but because we get to actually see what our parents do in a workplace and we get to see how they support our family.

You know what, for this post, I’m just going to show you the video right off the batt, so you can soak it all in and then I’ll explain the different parts to you, good? Good.

So that was pretty much a documentary about what it is like to be a boss, a day in the life, and the advantages and disadvantages of that job. Just a heads up, the reason there are a few parts of me talking, is because I wasn’t aloud to actually film in the meetings since they included private business. 

I HAVE MY CAPILANO BUILDERS SHIRT ON!!

Ok. Anyway’s, what we had to do for that video is basically, document our day at work with our parent. You could do it any way you wanted as long as it was kind of like a documentary, so I decided to do mine kind of like a vlog. If you don’t know what a vlog is, here is a video about what it is, and just so you know, this is not my video, it’s just to help you understand:

I filmed a bunch of different parts of our day from the time we left the house to the moment I walked out of the building to go home. Similair to our Live event video, we only had one chance to film and that’s it. So it was pretty difficult to know what I needed other than the fact that I had my action plan, almost like a checklist of shots I needed to take:

As well as a storyboard to help me with my editing.

Speaking of editing, that is the next thing I will talk about. After getting all of the shots I needed, I put them together in iMovie and cut the ones I needed to, added audio from certain interviews and made it into a story. It has the beginning when the video shows the title and the morning when it still dark out:

Middle, is almost everything in the whole video but the main parts are when I talk about the interviews. And to close it off, I have a nice little snip-it of an interview and then the closing shot.

All of these aspects, planning, filming, an d editing are very important to the making of a video and I really enjoyed doing it with my dad. Oh! Of course, I forgot the last step of film making! After all fo that I have to present it to the world! And that’s what I am doing right now on my blog, showing you guys the work I have done and what went into it, you get a special behind the scenes look.

Going to work with my dad, I learned a lot. I learned that I most definitely will not do his job, sorry dad! There were to many long, boring meetings and office work but that wasn’t the point of going to work with him. I got to see what he does all day everyday, I had the chance to take a walk in his shoes and that was an amazing experience. I think it is very important that we, as grade 9’s are exposed to life at work and what it is like to support a family. 

– Your blogging friend, Jordyn