Did you know that one young worker in BC is injured every hour? Or that one out of every twenty one young workers are injured? Well, neither did I until the last few weeks. Lately, after DI season has ended, we having been learning a ton about how to be safe on the job, especially as a young worker. Her is a video by WorkSafe BC to get us into the mode:

EXAMPLES OF WORK WE DID

Most people, when they think of not being safe at work, imagine being cut with a knife or slipping on water and hitting your head, but most of the time things are much worse and I think this video shows that very well. Click here to watch it. It is very dramatized but all four stories are true which is a little bit terrifying, but that is the purpose of the video. It’s purpose is to motivate you to want to be safe at work especially as a young person, and trust me!! It works!!

Here is another activity we did that taught me a lot about how employers should train and prepare their employees for a new job. There is a collection of videos by WorkSafeBC that show a ton of different businesses through out BC and how they train their new employees. I chose to watch a video about Grouse Mountain since it is a place I have grown up knowing.

I took notes through out it and came to a conclusion. Here are the three important steps to a proper training:

I think these steps are very important to the successful safety and understanding of a new employee. Not only are they very knowledgeable and informative of everything you would need to know but I think these three steps would give both people enough time to get to know each other, making it a more easy and comfortable work space.

REFLECTION

After all of the work I talked about before plus reading sheets about biological hazards, weather exposure, and more I discovered there are so many dangers in everyday working life and that is what Kyle, Izzy, Jackson and I wanted to show in this video. It is quite comical but there are many points we made about chemical hazards, heat exposure and MSI injuries that really stuck out to us in this unit. The overall big idea of this video and take away from this unit is that it is always okay to refuse unsafe work as long as you follow the correct procedure. I hope to get a job sooner rather than later, I am already working on my resume and after the career safety unit I feel much more ready to start working than I did before, I feel prepared. I know that my employer needs to do an orientation, training, and supervise me at the beginning. I know that if I feel unsafe with the work that I am doing, I can confront my employer. Being safe at work is very important and I think this unit has been very beneficial and I feel very confident in my rights  as a young worker.