tPols 2020

In this post, I am going to reflect on this year and argue why I should advance to Grade 10.

In my mPols I asked the question what is my learning goal by the end of the year, and how do I intend on achieving it? and I answered it with: My learning goal is to improve my productivity I will achieve this by using support from friends and family and tools to limit the time I waste. 

I felt that this year with my work ethic and the introduction of Online learning my work ethic really snowballed out of control and I felt that while I had some instances of good work, I missed a lot of opportunities to evolve my work ethic, and in Grade 10 I really want to work as hard as I can. Next year I want to take responsibility for myself and grow out of my old habits. I want to improve my productivity by using the tactics I discussed in my mPols, using Tools to make me more proficient, Ask questions (beforehand) and Doing Quality work. I think actually, and fully trying to develop the 7 habits will really help, this year I haven’t really implemented them.

Now I want to highlight the work that has showcased my growth and shown evidence of revision, teamwork, responsibility, and production.

I think that my “Witness to History” project really showed the evolution of my Maker work and how I can produce quality work, as an example I will use my Run! video, I think that the quality of that video was good but I didn’t develop my video creating skills yet and I think that creating videos, from Alberta to this final witness to history video was really something that I could show my evolution.

I think that Destination Imagination 2020 has shown evidence of teamwork. I think that working over zoom has really strengthened my teamwork and showing my work when I am working in bigger groups which have been something which has really limited my potential in bigger group projects.

I would say that Lets Get Riel is a great example of the evidence of my responsibility as I was responsible for my side of the project and  I think that being responsible in a two-person group really made me have a full grip on my side of the project. I think that also

I would say that with scimatics I haven’t improved a lot but that is something that I really want to work on in grade 10, and I think that I can do that by doubling down and focusing on my work while using the tactics I said in the beginning.

So, do I think that I should advanced to grade 10? Yes. I will need to put in all my effort and use the tactics I talked about and continue developing the skills i talked about in the presentation.

The Great War!

Well, this school year of 2019/2020 is about to end and I want to talk about the last humanities project, The Great War!

What was the project about?

In this project, we created a collaborative digital book about different aspects of WW1.  I decided to write about the film industry during WW1 and how it helped create HollyWood. We also read different books about WW1 and my group read War Horse. During this novel study, I created a variety of material to show my knowledge of the book, I want to show off my favourite one. My essay on family and warhorse. For the novel study part of this project, I worked with Anders, Julia and Alex.

Competencies I’ve learned

Comprehend 

I would say that I’ve developed this skill by learning about my topic for the WW1 book and analyzing  War Horse.

A witness to gym history

Hey, guys welcome back to my blog, today I am going to talk about my maker 9 project which I completed at home, Witness to History.

What’s the project about?

For this project, we had to create a video essay that told a story in these times of social distancing and COVID-19. I decided to talk about how the Burnaby CrossFit community was affected.

Answering the driving question.

How can we, as video storytellers, tell stories of our community during this period of physical distancing? We can tell stories during this period of social distancing, by learning people’s stories and creating an overarching story.  We can learn these stories through lots of things, zoom interviews, Instagram posts, and even signs. We combine these stories to use techniques such as structuring multiple stories combine, keeping a pace that keeps the viewer interested, and using the medium to tell a message.

Stepping stones that helped create a vision of my project

I would say that firstly the storyboard helped my video essay really come to life, and plan out what I was going to do. We had done storyboards before with different projects planning out movies and videos, but with how we were using the content this time really helped formulate a plan.

I would secondly say that the interview I did with my close friend, and gym owner Daniel English really showed how gyms were affected.I had done interviews before but with how the situation is currently is, it was a unique perspective.

Anyways thanks for reading this post!

Destination Imagination 1.0 patch!

Welp, It’s over. Destination Imagination has come to an end. We finished our final tournament for destination Imagination over a zoom call. Now I am going to review the tournament and the competencies.

Part 1: The prep

To prep for the tournament we practiced on zoom doing improv situations and worked on our acting. We used simple objects in our household to make sound effects.

Part 2: The Tournament

We presented at 11:20 for our main presentation, and we presented in front of our teachers on zoom. We had our instant challenge a hour later and that was it!

Reflection: Competency, Research and Understand

I would say that with this competency, we achieved it, as we researched and tried to understand as much as we could about it. Overall with the tournament I felt that it was a little bit clunky with peoples cues specifically because we could se each other. But I think overall it was really good!

Welp, that’s all I have to say about DI, later folks.

Original Post

Destination.Imagination_patch.2020._0.1

It happened again, Destination Imagination. In this blog post, I am going to reflect on what we did for the regionals of DI 2020 and how we will improve.

Improv’ing it

The group I’m in for DI is improv, our challenge is to create a story and preformance prepared in 2 minutes with a sound effects created with various items in our sound box. The story we presented featured a superhero and a supervillain and the superhero would defeat the supervillain in a unique conundrum. We had to research 10 different powers for the villain while the hero’s underwhelming power and the conundrum we learned about on the spot, also the villains power was randomly chosen.

Here are the powers I researched

We spent most of our time practicing, so I wrote up some practice conundrum. blank-85.pdf .

Reflection, but not in a mirror

I want to reflect on the regional tournament, and how I acted. I would say that the strong suits of my preformance was picking up on the cues and thinking on the spot. I felt as though I was a bit too stiff with my preformance.

When I preform again I want to act and move my body more and be more creative with my ideas.

If I were to grade myself I would give myself a ☀️, there are definitely somethings I should have improved on but pretty good overall.

Rube Goldberg and Circuits

Today I will be talking about the last scimatics project before spring break, PLP 9 Metaphor Machine. How can we represent the scientific method? I am going to talk about curricular competencies, I have learnt through this project.

Planning and Conducting

I believe that I have shown planning and conducting by creating a diagram for our circuit for our Rube Goldberg machine, and learn proper terms and circuitry components.

Questioning and Predicting

I would say a great example of questioning and predicting would be the electricity labs we did, as we had to use the scientific method and hypothesize on the results.

Reasoning and Analyzing

I would say a great example of analysis would be milestone 5, peer feedback and a working machine. We really had to analyze what we were doing and find the best version of our machine.

It’s been Riel, guys.

Our last project before spring break was “Let’s get Riel”. A project was we created three images related to a piece of Canadian history and we also learned about Louis Riel, what was this project like? Let’s get into that!

Part 1: The Set-up

Our driving question for this project was: How can we present past actions and decisions through images to help us make decisions about what is fair or unjust?

The competencies we were using in this project were: Connect:  How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? and Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken? 

The core of the project was reading Louis Riel by Chester Brown and researching the topic of our images, my group’s topic was the disappearance of the bison.

My group was a simple two-man group, moi, and my classmate, Rhiann!

Part 2: The work

In this part, I am going to talk about how I believe I expressed the core competencies through this project.

Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken? 

I found that I demonstrated this competence well in my literary response to the Louis Riel graphic novel and overall the life of Louis Riel I wrote about how we view Louis Riel. as a hero. or a villain. Blank

Connect: How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? 

I would say that I have understood the information and texts relating to the disappearance of the bison and that can be seen in the image and the description. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9psGddHzGq1_pbnIwBpxf7xRrz_onF0p5uLK40/

Conclusion: A reflection

I am going to reflect on this project by talking about something I excelled at and something I could improve on. I would say excelled at expressing past actions and decisions (specifically the disappearance of the bison ) through the images I created, I felt that the images in a way tell the story of the disappearance of the bison.

I would say something that I could improve on is consuming and getting a deeper meaning from what we were reading.

That all I have to say, so I guess……. Have a good spring break and goodbye!

A math project to DIE for

Well, the winter break is over and school is back on, so in this blog post, I am going to talk about my first Scimatics project of 2020. Our project was simply called “Like-Terms”, but something was different! We designed the project on our own! I decided to work alone and I created a murder mystery revolving around like terms. Let’s do a overview of the project!

Here is a taste of the of the project itself. I feel I did while reading the textbook pages.

I am going to reflect by going over the cirricular competencies and see if I achieved them!

• Innovating and Applying

I felt that I really innovated with a unique concept and applied the math I learned to my project.

Understanding and solving:

I felt that I was really understanding and problem solving, with 1. Understanding the concepts of Algebra and Polynomials but also 2. Creating a presentable murder mystery that connects and ties into my learning

Communicating and Representing:

I believe that I achieved communication and represention of mathematics ideas by using them as tool in the murder mystery. The characters all had a different number but the character with a different, unlike term was clearly the culprit and it was made fairly apparent.

Connecting and Reflecting:

I would say that I interests especially with storytelling and particularly Murder Mystery media. I would also say I connected mathematical concepts together.

Welp, that all I could say about this project, so, thank for reading! See ya!

Star Wars: The rise of the project!

Happy new year guys! Today I am writing about my winter exhibition of 2019, this year’s theme? Star Wars! We used Star Wars to learn about storytelling and creative writing.

Part 1: The Phantom Project

We started the project with an opinion piece about Star Wars, we had to back up our opinion with facts. I decided to talk about how I believe Star Wars is not an ‘Important’ film series. You can read it here!

blank-53.pages

We shortly later learned about the timeline of this project with a project pitch sheet that introduced us to our driving question: How might we build an interactive exhibit that represents the hero’s journey?

Our first leg of the project was all about short stories and journey the characters went through, we read many stories and each explored an element of the story, from irony to characters, we learned about most parts of a story. We ended this part by doing a literacy test to test our knowledge of these stories and understanding of a story.

I think this part of the project really helped connect and fully realize the story we will be telling.

Part 2: Attack of the Original Content!

The next part of our project was to form our character from our planet, our character should be someone who made an actual impact on the Star Wars mainline story, and a character we can explore the hero’s journey with. My group was the Death Star, and after a bit of research, we decided to do the side character Hurst Romo did.

We decided to make a semi-canon Star Wars story, where Mr.Romodi was the imperial agent at the other end of the intercom on the Death Star in Episode: IV A New Hope.

We decided who was going to do what parts for the hero’s journey, and I decided to do the end. I intended (and did) make a melancholy ending to the story which followed the character and scenarios in the story.

We ended this part of the project with an outline of our character’s journey.

I find this part of the project really helped me articulate the character we were writing and it helped my growth in my writing skills

Part 3: Revenge of the review

To show our literary knowledge and ability to criticize literacy, we had to write a review on a piece of media for the New York Times contest. I personally, am very into film and understand techniques and tropes in movies, so I decided to review a movie I have recently seen and was fresh in my mind; Peanut Butter Falcon starring Shia Leboeuf.

I find this part of the project was really interesting as I already like and know film criticism and I got the ability to do that.

the-peanut-butter-falcon-review.pages

Part: 4, 5, 6 The original exhibition

These parts are very similar so I grouped them together! In these legs of the project and milestones, we developed our story and brought it to life! At the very end of the story, I wrote about how general Romodi reflects on his life before the Death Star blew up. I translated that story into a short animation which represents what he saw seconds before the Death Star blew up.

See photos and videos of the final exhibition!!,https://www.blog44.ca/juded/files/2020/01/img_1683.mov

Rogue Maker: A PLP story

Meanwhile, while we were developing and finalizing our stories, we also had to create something to represent our part of the hero’s journeys. At the end of our story, our character General. Romodi blows up and reflects on his life.

The idea I developed to represent this leg of the story was a video of the x-wings targeting the Death Star and dropping the bombs in the vent.

You can watch me develop this in my maker journal ( the file was partially corrupted, so I could only salvage most of it )

https://youtu.be/WV240peefc4

And here’s the final product!

Reflection.

I found this project really helped me develop my skills for writing and understanding a story, and understand the core competencies we learned in this project.

Thanks for Reading! Bye!