A math project to DIE for

Well, the winter break is over and school is back on, so in this blog post, I am going to talk about my first Scimatics project of 2020. Our project was simply called “Like-Terms”, but something was different! We designed the project on our own! I decided to work alone and I created a murder mystery revolving around like terms. Let’s do a overview of the project!

Here is a taste of the of the project itself. I feel I did while reading the textbook pages.

I am going to reflect by going over the cirricular competencies and see if I achieved them!

• Innovating and Applying

I felt that I really innovated with a unique concept and applied the math I learned to my project.

Understanding and solving:

I felt that I was really understanding and problem solving, with 1. Understanding the concepts of Algebra and Polynomials but also 2. Creating a presentable murder mystery that connects and ties into my learning

Communicating and Representing:

I believe that I achieved communication and represention of mathematics ideas by using them as tool in the murder mystery. The characters all had a different number but the character with a different, unlike term was clearly the culprit and it was made fairly apparent.

Connecting and Reflecting:

I would say that I interests especially with storytelling and particularly Murder Mystery media. I would also say I connected mathematical concepts together.

Welp, that all I could say about this project, so, thank for reading! See ya!

Star Wars: The rise of the project!

Happy new year guys! Today I am writing about my winter exhibition of 2019, this year’s theme? Star Wars! We used Star Wars to learn about storytelling and creative writing.

Part 1: The Phantom Project

We started the project with an opinion piece about Star Wars, we had to back up our opinion with facts. I decided to talk about how I believe Star Wars is not an ‘Important’ film series. You can read it here!

blank-53.pages

We shortly later learned about the timeline of this project with a project pitch sheet that introduced us to our driving question: How might we build an interactive exhibit that represents the hero’s journey?

Our first leg of the project was all about short stories and journey the characters went through, we read many stories and each explored an element of the story, from irony to characters, we learned about most parts of a story. We ended this part by doing a literacy test to test our knowledge of these stories and understanding of a story.

I think this part of the project really helped connect and fully realize the story we will be telling.

Part 2: Attack of the Original Content!

The next part of our project was to form our character from our planet, our character should be someone who made an actual impact on the Star Wars mainline story, and a character we can explore the hero’s journey with. My group was the Death Star, and after a bit of research, we decided to do the side character Hurst Romo did.

We decided to make a semi-canon Star Wars story, where Mr.Romodi was the imperial agent at the other end of the intercom on the Death Star in Episode: IV A New Hope.

We decided who was going to do what parts for the hero’s journey, and I decided to do the end. I intended (and did) make a melancholy ending to the story which followed the character and scenarios in the story.

We ended this part of the project with an outline of our character’s journey.

I find this part of the project really helped me articulate the character we were writing and it helped my growth in my writing skills

Part 3: Revenge of the review

To show our literary knowledge and ability to criticize literacy, we had to write a review on a piece of media for the New York Times contest. I personally, am very into film and understand techniques and tropes in movies, so I decided to review a movie I have recently seen and was fresh in my mind; Peanut Butter Falcon starring Shia Leboeuf.

I find this part of the project was really interesting as I already like and know film criticism and I got the ability to do that.

the-peanut-butter-falcon-review.pages

Part: 4, 5, 6 The original exhibition

These parts are very similar so I grouped them together! In these legs of the project and milestones, we developed our story and brought it to life! At the very end of the story, I wrote about how general Romodi reflects on his life before the Death Star blew up. I translated that story into a short animation which represents what he saw seconds before the Death Star blew up.

See photos and videos of the final exhibition!!https://www.blog44.ca/juded/files/2020/01/img_1688.movhttps://www.blog44.ca/juded/files/2020/01/img_1683.mov

Rouge Maker: A PLP story

Meanwhile, while we were developing and finalizing our stories, we also had to create something to represent our part of the hero’s journeys. At the end of our story, our character General. Romodi blows up and reflects on his life.

The idea I developed to represent this leg of the story was a video of the x-wings targeting the Death Star and dropping the bombs in the vent.

You can watch me develop this in my maker journal ( the file was partially corrupted, so I could only salvage most of it )

https://expl.ai/FAZSALL

And here’s the final product!

Reflection.

I found this project really helped me develop my skills for writing and understanding a story, and understand the core competencies we learned in this project.

Thanks for Reading! Bye!

MPOLS: Getting 2020 vision

The time has come once more, time for the mid year presentation of learning (or Mpols). This years driving question is: what is my learning goal by the end of the year, and how do I intended on achieving it? In this blog post and presentation I am going to answer that question. So without further ado, let’s jump in! 3…. 2… 1.. Go!

My learning goal is to improve my productivity I will achieve this by using support from friends and family and tools to limit time I waste.

Productivity and handing things in on time to put it bluntly, is something I really struggle with and wanted to improve for a while.

I find that when I work alone, I find that I lose track and my mind wanders off. When I am working with a group or doing my own section of group work I almost always stay on task. Now I’m not saying make all projects group projects. But helping stay on track with remainders and sending me reminders would I believe help.

I would say some notable examples of this would be: Destination Imagination 2019 ( even though we came in 4th ), my scimatics projects: Game of Exponents Laws and Correlation and Causation project.

Tools to make me more proficient

Secondly I would say, I would using the tools on the iPad that eliminate distractions and opportunities to get me off track. Apple added a feature called App limits. I am going to start using which will limit all my apps that take me off task (Disney+, Instagram, etc) it will limit.

Ask questions (beforehand)

I think that major flaw that I am trying to fix which will help improve productivity, would be to ask questions and get help when I am stuck. Usually when I am stuck, I will try to look for an answer, and if I can’t I’ll just give up. I think that this will also help me improve productivity.

Doing Quality work

Another major issues with my work, I would say is the quality. Whenever I fall behind, my work snowballs into a bigger issue and my work tends to be rushed. I plan on changing this by both using the strategies I am enlisting in this post/presentation, and I will use the core competencies to guide my work and presentation of my work. I will also intend on using 7 habits by continually practicing and harness them.

I find that a great example of this is would be my Maker 2019 reflection (look at it here)

Conclusion.

I think that find if I use these strategies I can become a better learner and exhibit my learning.

So far, those are the major strategies I am going to start to do. So to end this presentation I would like end it by asking the question,

What strategy do you think most I should use as a learner to become more productive?

Week 6: Emojis!

Today I am talking about emojis!

Emojis, are traditionally used to communicate with other people online using small faces (😂 or icons ✅) , the word Emoji itself is originally derived from the word Emoticon.

While I am not a fan of vanilla emojis, I am in fact a fan of Japanese Emoticons! You can access these by usually changing or adding a system keyboard to your device. For iPad use (me)

1. you go into settings

2. You go into general

3. You go into keyboards

4. Add Japanese

You did it! ^_^

There are so many different emoticons you can choose from. My personal favourite is the sleepy face(^_^), as I am sleepy a lot of the time.

Well, that’s all I have to say about emojis right now, see ya guys later

Week 7: Holidays

Hey Guys! I’m back with another post, this week I am going to about holidays! So I am going to start by talking my favourite holidays!

Present Day:

My family doesn’t celebrate Christmas so, we have a holiday called Present Day! On present day we give each other each other presents and have some delicious breakfast and dinner.

Honestly I think It’s pretty fun day!

Summer Vacation:

While this isn’t technically a holiday, I’m still going to include it. I’d say that summer vacation is a pretty fun holiday! Most summer me and my family go somewhere really fun and interesting, this year it was Italy, Last Summer Spain, and the summer before that, Japan! I find that Summer Vacay is a pretty fun time!

And Finally…….

Winter Break (Christmas)

I find that winter break is super fun, because, it’s snowboarding season! My family usually goes up to Nelson BC each year and we usually bang out 3-5 days of snowboarding. My parents also usually are feeling very kind this time of year, so they get us presents! Overall Winter break is my favourite because I get gifts and I snowboard!

Well, that’s all I have to say in this blog post. See ya guys later!

Week 8: Let’s reflect!

Well, it’s time for the finisher! It’s the end, right now, it turns out it’s the end of the Student Blogging Challenge!

Now let’s look back shall we?

Overall with the student blogging challenge, I though It was pretty fun! I think with the blogging was really fun and helped me learn about interacting with other people online. It also helped share my opinions and interests!

My Blogging Audit

1, My future plans: I hope to continue talking about indie music and film, especially doing movie reviews.

2, How many posts have

Poll!

In addition to the reflect by myself, I want YOU to reflect on the SBC, what was your favourite part of the challenge? Answer in the straw poll below! https://www.strawpoll.me/19384902

Well, that’s all I have to say. See ya later guys

Term 1 Video Reflection

Welp, it’s coming to a close. Term 1 of PLP 9 is going to finish soon, so everybody knows what time it’s is, reflection time! I’m gonna be reflecting on All the videos I have made through this term. Since there are many videos and many competences I am going to cover videos for every 5 competences, let’s start!

Knowledge Constructor 

The first example of this competency is my Alberta 9 video, I had to specifically curate the audio and visual content from interviews to see if it fit with the theme of the video and my answer, you can view the video here!.

I’d say for my second example I’d have to go with the Royal Tyrell museum video. Due to the time constraints of that video, I had to be very selective about what I wanted to say and what I could say in that time period. I find that while the final product wasn’t the best, the journey to make it was.

Innovative Designer

I’d say for my first example as an innovative designer, I would say my Run! remake video. With tools I and my group had used, we used our limited tools (iPad,iMovie and Microphone) to create a product unique in its production despite the fact it was a complete remake. You can see it here.

My second example would be my TYKTWD 2019 Video, due to the conditions on the worksite itself, and the lack of activities at bendtin mechanical I was strapped for any major ideas. But with the tools I did have, I feel as if I created something fairly good/great.

Creative communicator

I would say a great opening example of this Russian Revolution video. The video uses rap and a more non-traditional of talking about history while still getting the points and history itself across. You can see it here!

A good 2nd example would the Revolution choice video, I and my group created. Essay style with animated segments is usually how history videos work, but by actually portraying the people and talking about the story, it helps you visualize a bit more. You can see it here!

Knowledge Constructor

I find for this competency I can I would have to say my French Revolution Video. We used many sources that we curated into the video, and through informative segments that really showed off in the end. You can watch it here!

For my second video, I would like to refer to my American Revolution Video. To create an interesting and historically accurate video, we had used many sources and use digital tools ( such as iMovie) to create a final product. You can see it here!

And finally

Computational thinker.

I would as a computational thinker my shining example of this, in the beginning, would be my 4 shot film. For the four-shot film, we had overcome the glaring problem of making a film in 4 shots. We had developed a solution to this problem by finding unique angles and ways to shot it. Overall, I’d say it represents me as a computational thinker.

My secondary example would be UNO! A ghost town film. Now Uno was interesting because before filming, we didn’t actually know the area we were filming or the conditions. So we had to solve the unique problem of filming when it’s raining, not to mention using additional to route out our scenes.

Well, that was all of them! All of the videos I have worked on in the past term talked about/critiqued on the curricular competencies they represent. Honestly, this has helped me reflect!

So, see ya guys later!

Cachette Video!

For my event video, I decided to do the most interesting events I have in the next couple of weeks, My mum Cachette pop-up!

So I started with a sheet of things I want to film on location! I made it in notes.

Due to the busyness of the day I couldn’t add a one shot and Voice over opening, but I got a lot of B-Roll, A interview and a fun fact!

I did all my editing through iMovie and I used the YouTube royalty free audio library to add background music. Editing overall was fairly easy as all I was doing was adding video and audio clips on each other.

Due to the fact of not having enough footage, in the ending of the video, I used a summary video of last years Cachette made by a friend!

Overall I think this was a fairly fun project!

A REVOLUTIONary project!

Our 2nd project for PLP 9 was an interesting way for us to stretch our creative muscles and learn about Revolutions, how so? Continue reading to find out!

Reflection and Videos

I’m going to try something new for this blog post! I’m going to start with a reflection on the project and then talk about the project itself after!

The driving question of this project was: How do ideas drive change? And id like to split this question into 2 parts: Ideas about the book Revolution and Revolutions = Change!

Part 1: Ideas about Revolution (The book)

To learn about literature and the Revolution, we read the book Revolution (2010) by Jennifer Donnelly, the book dealt with themes of Grief, Guilt and dealing with trauma through music. Anyways for this project we learned and discussed through what our teacher ( Ms.Maxwell ) calls book chats!

My favourite and personal best sheet I created for these book chats was my 2nd sheet for the role of creative connector for a 2nd time connector-role. pages, I wrote about the band Radiohead and the iPod.

For a final reflection on the book we created a creative reflection for the book and presented it, Gallery Walk style! I decided to do a podcast which is a format the turns out to work well for me! For the process of making the podcast itself, I researched my topic ( Location in media) and then looked through the book for examples and things to talk about. After having an idea and examples, I created a script! You can see that here:

(This is the first draft and I currently can’t find my second and final one)

After making a script, I used my microphone (which sounds semi-professional) to record the scriptures) Fun Fact: The podcast originally intended to be a video essay but there was nothing overly visual about it.

You can listen to the final podcast here!

Conclusion (About The book Revolution)

I’d say that Ideas drive change when we accept our past and towards the future, similar to the man character of Andi in the book!

Driving Change (The Revolution videos)

So for the 2nd leg of the project, we created multiple videos about different Revolutions and different styles. For this project, I worked with Thomas, Brenton and Kaden.

Since most of these videos follow a similar production schedule and you probably don’t want to read a trillion words I going to summarize them all in the production stages.

Pre Production

Most of the videos started with a script! (Surprise, surprise) but the scripts varied for the different Videos. For instance: For the rap video about the Russian Revolution we wrote the lyrics and decided on actions we did on-site.

The next part was the storyboard which was fairly straightforward, we use simply created a collaborative document in the app keynote and brought our words to life! Usually, a day after we started……

Production

For al the video production was straightforward; we find a suitable setting to film and then we had one person filming (usually me) and we filmed! At most, it took 2 days to finish filming and some videos we had special conditions! Like in one of our videos we had extras!

After filming the footage we had the film tasks in……

Post Production

Due to how IMovie works we usually had one person editing while everyone added clips and audio files to add! After we watched it, with our class we usually made some minor fixes to the videos to ensure they were quality.

Crane Brinton and overall Revolutions

The crane Brinton theory is the theory we used to talk about the Revolutions we learned about ( Russian, French, Industrial and American ). The theory helped learn about the Revolutions and was a prime tool to help find out how ideas drive change.

The Videos!!

You can watch vids Here!
Reflection:

I think finally after talking about all this stuff I can finally the question: Ideas drive change when we push ourselves to create ideas and learn concepts that Revolutionize our thinking.

Thanks for reading!