This Seycovian Life

Hello friends, Jude again. PLP projects pass and months pass, but there is something special with the last humanities project we had “project podcast”. Not only is it the first mid-covid, adjusted school project, but it’s also the first grade 10 PLP project and the first project in the audio medium.

In this project, we learnt about podcasts and how to make a podcast trailer, and we learned about identity.

The driving question in this project was How Might I Create A Trailer For My Podcast Which Informs, Inspires, And Entertains??  

So, now with this project and its information in mind, let’s dive into the topic…….

A major part of the project was an exploration of identity and what it means. We started by independently defining identity as how we believe it I wrote:

What defines you as a person and how you will be remembered. An expression of how you are (beliefs, values, what you like/don’t like, culture, history ), and what defines you as a person and how you will be remembered. Your background plays a role in who your identity is.

Alongside our definitions of it, we also explored our own identity by creating bio-poems and mask illustrations of our identity. We ended our discussions of this by creating a formative blog post about identity. With this blog post, we had to create a gif of a double-exposed image and representations of our identity. You can view that blog post here. So now I want to end this section by discussing the competencies we had to show for this milestone.

Creative Communicator
How might I use technology to create and communicate?
I have used technology to communicate in this milestone by not only creating an image and gif from other images but by using information from multiple sources, teachers, family and the internet to create my own definition of identity.
Since that is all over with, let’s jump into the second part of the project…
Since this PLP school year is an exploration of the audio medium, we are obviously going to be learning about podcasts, as it’s a frontrunner of the audio medium.  So let’s start at the beginning, what a podcast? A podcast is an oral story or discussion which is specifically on the online medium. We fulfilled the definition of a podcast in the first milestone of the project when we created a short oral story. I discussed the creation and fall of Pepe the frog. When we got deeper into the project, we learnt about what we were going to create our own podcast and trailer by using a podcast planner. The podcast I made is called JudoCast: Deep Dive, a podcast in which I take a deep dive into my favourite pop culture things.
So now I want to end this post by discussing the competencies we had to show for this milestone. Which ironically is the same as the last one!
Creative Communicator

I used technology to communicate and create by creating and honing down a good podcast trailer by communicating and learning what makes a podcast and a trailer good.

welp, that’s all I have to say about this project. Cya!

Identity, a Jude D. post

Hey yall, Jude here. Recently I’ve gone back to school and started a new project on identity. One of the things I’ve been thinking throughout it, is what is identity?  To show my perspective on it, I want to show you want I think it is, and what it isn’t. In the image below I wrote down a definition of identity I think is true and a list of antonyms for Meriam Webster’s dictionary to show what I think isn’t.

Now I want to dive into my definition of identity and to do that I am going to show a bio poem I wrote in class.

Jude Quiet, Funny, Tired, Irresponsible

Son of Joel and Danielle

Loves to skate, Monster Energy and Wes Anderson

Who is sometimes lonely and anxious

Who dropped into a halfpipe

Hopes to become a film director

A resident of East Van

Deville

If there is one big thing which affects your identity I would say that it is how you express yourself and how you will be remembered. The list of antonyms in the picture I think helps with this point as it refers to the opposite of identity as conformity and conventionality which if you don’t have an identity for yourself and you can’t express as yourself then you will be remembered as someone that is conventional with nothing interesting or special.

I think another big thing is your worldview and your worldview. Your worldview can start by being similar to the worldview of your background. If you grow up in the city your worldview on the culture of farming is going to be completely different then someone who lives in more of a country or small-town setting, and your worldview on things like those can be apart of your identity.

To finish this blog post, I want to show you my identity with this double-exposed GIF of me and some big parts of my identity.

Aight y’all, see you guys in the next blog post.

tPols 2020

In this post, I am going to reflect on this year and argue why I should advance to Grade 10.

In my mPols I asked the question what is my learning goal by the end of the year, and how do I intend on achieving it? and I answered it with: My learning goal is to improve my productivity I will achieve this by using support from friends and family and tools to limit the time I waste. 

I felt that this year with my work ethic and the introduction of Online learning my work ethic really snowballed out of control and I felt that while I had some instances of good work, I missed a lot of opportunities to evolve my work ethic, and in Grade 10 I really want to work as hard as I can. Next year I want to take responsibility for myself and grow out of my old habits. I want to improve my productivity by using the tactics I discussed in my mPols, using Tools to make me more proficient, Ask questions (beforehand) and Doing Quality work. I think actually, and fully trying to develop the 7 habits will really help, this year I haven’t really implemented them.

Now I want to highlight the work that has showcased my growth and shown evidence of revision, teamwork, responsibility, and production.

I think that my “Witness to History” project really showed the evolution of my Maker work and how I can produce quality work, as an example I will use my Run! video, I think that the quality of that video was good but I didn’t develop my video creating skills yet and I think that creating videos, from Alberta to this final witness to history video was really something that I could show my evolution.

I think that Destination Imagination 2020 has shown evidence of teamwork. I think that working over zoom has really strengthened my teamwork and showing my work when I am working in bigger groups which have been something which has really limited my potential in bigger group projects.

I would say that Lets Get Riel is a great example of the evidence of my responsibility as I was responsible for my side of the project and  I think that being responsible in a two-person group really made me have a full grip on my side of the project. I think that also

I would say that with scimatics I haven’t improved a lot but that is something that I really want to work on in grade 10, and I think that I can do that by doubling down and focusing on my work while using the tactics I said in the beginning.

So, do I think that I should advanced to grade 10? Yes. I will need to put in all my effort and use the tactics I talked about and continue developing the skills i talked about in the presentation.

The Great War!

Well, this school year of 2019/2020 is about to end and I want to talk about the last humanities project, The Great War!

What was the project about?

In this project, we created a collaborative digital book about different aspects of WW1.  I decided to write about the film industry during WW1 and how it helped create HollyWood. We also read different books about WW1 and my group read War Horse. During this novel study, I created a variety of material to show my knowledge of the book, I want to show off my favourite one. My essay on family and warhorse. For the novel study part of this project, I worked with Anders, Julia and Alex.

Competencies I’ve learned

Comprehend 

I would say that I’ve developed this skill by learning about my topic for the WW1 book and analyzing  War Horse.

A witness to gym history

Hey, guys welcome back to my blog, today I am going to talk about my maker 9 project which I completed at home, Witness to History.

What’s the project about?

For this project, we had to create a video essay that told a story in these times of social distancing and COVID-19. I decided to talk about how the Burnaby CrossFit community was affected.

Answering the driving question.

How can we, as video storytellers, tell stories of our community during this period of physical distancing? We can tell stories during this period of social distancing, by learning people’s stories and creating an overarching story.  We can learn these stories through lots of things, zoom interviews, Instagram posts, and even signs. We combine these stories to use techniques such as structuring multiple stories combine, keeping a pace that keeps the viewer interested, and using the medium to tell a message.

Stepping stones that helped create a vision of my project

I would say that firstly the storyboard helped my video essay really come to life, and plan out what I was going to do. We had done storyboards before with different projects planning out movies and videos, but with how we were using the content this time really helped formulate a plan.

I would secondly say that the interview I did with my close friend, and gym owner Daniel English really showed how gyms were affected.I had done interviews before but with how the situation is currently is, it was a unique perspective.

Anyways thanks for reading this post!

Destination Imagination 1.0 patch!

Welp, It’s over. Destination Imagination has come to an end. We finished our final tournament for destination Imagination over a zoom call. Now I am going to review the tournament and the competencies.

Part 1: The prep

To prep for the tournament we practiced on zoom doing improv situations and worked on our acting. We used simple objects in our household to make sound effects.

Part 2: The Tournament

We presented at 11:20 for our main presentation, and we presented in front of our teachers on zoom. We had our instant challenge a hour later and that was it!

Reflection: Competency, Research and Understand

I would say that with this competency, we achieved it, as we researched and tried to understand as much as we could about it. Overall with the tournament I felt that it was a little bit clunky with peoples cues specifically because we could se each other. But I think overall it was really good!

Welp, that’s all I have to say about DI, later folks.

Original Post

Destination.Imagination_patch.2020._0.1

It happened again, Destination Imagination. In this blog post, I am going to reflect on what we did for the regionals of DI 2020 and how we will improve.

Improv’ing it

The group I’m in for DI is improv, our challenge is to create a story and preformance prepared in 2 minutes with a sound effects created with various items in our sound box. The story we presented featured a superhero and a supervillain and the superhero would defeat the supervillain in a unique conundrum. We had to research 10 different powers for the villain while the hero’s underwhelming power and the conundrum we learned about on the spot, also the villains power was randomly chosen.

Here are the powers I researched

We spent most of our time practicing, so I wrote up some practice conundrum. blank-85.pdf .

Reflection, but not in a mirror

I want to reflect on the regional tournament, and how I acted. I would say that the strong suits of my preformance was picking up on the cues and thinking on the spot. I felt as though I was a bit too stiff with my preformance.

When I preform again I want to act and move my body more and be more creative with my ideas.

If I were to grade myself I would give myself a ☀️, there are definitely somethings I should have improved on but pretty good overall.

Rube Goldberg and Circuits

Today I will be talking about the last scimatics project before spring break, PLP 9 Metaphor Machine. How can we represent the scientific method? I am going to talk about curricular competencies, I have learnt through this project.

Planning and Conducting

I believe that I have shown planning and conducting by creating a diagram for our circuit for our Rube Goldberg machine, and learn proper terms and circuitry components.

Questioning and Predicting

I would say a great example of questioning and predicting would be the electricity labs we did, as we had to use the scientific method and hypothesize on the results.

Reasoning and Analyzing

I would say a great example of analysis would be milestone 5, peer feedback and a working machine. We really had to analyze what we were doing and find the best version of our machine.

It’s been Riel, guys.

Our last project before spring break was “Let’s get Riel”. A project was we created three images related to a piece of Canadian history and we also learned about Louis Riel, what was this project like? Let’s get into that!

Part 1: The Set-up

Our driving question for this project was: How can we present past actions and decisions through images to help us make decisions about what is fair or unjust?

The competencies we were using in this project were: Connect:  How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? and Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken? 

The core of the project was reading Louis Riel by Chester Brown and researching the topic of our images, my group’s topic was the disappearance of the bison.

My group was a simple two-man group, moi, and my classmate, Rhiann!

Part 2: The work

In this part, I am going to talk about how I believe I expressed the core competencies through this project.

Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken? 

I found that I demonstrated this competence well in my literary response to the Louis Riel graphic novel and overall the life of Louis Riel I wrote about how we view Louis Riel. as a hero. or a villain. Blank

Connect: How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? 

I would say that I have understood the information and texts relating to the disappearance of the bison and that can be seen in the image and the description. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9psGddHzGq1_pbnIwBpxf7xRrz_onF0p5uLK40/

Conclusion: A reflection

I am going to reflect on this project by talking about something I excelled at and something I could improve on. I would say excelled at expressing past actions and decisions (specifically the disappearance of the bison ) through the images I created, I felt that the images in a way tell the story of the disappearance of the bison.

I would say something that I could improve on is consuming and getting a deeper meaning from what we were reading.

That all I have to say, so I guess……. Have a good spring break and goodbye!