Prep for being judges for lasers

How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and the Law of Reflection?

In our third project for this term, Laser laws, we were to increase our understanding of physics and math. Specifically propertys of light and triangles (though mostly the 90 degree angle ones).

We started by brainstorming questions about light, most of them I still havent really answered but they got me thinking, I’m stil trying to get my head around the “common sense law” not applying  to the speed of light (here’s a cool  vid )

The next step was learning about the Pythagorean theorem which will help later on if I go into a field of architecture or engineering. We didn’t just do a worksheet or listen to a lecture – we got to build triangles (using test divider bases) and then do the math to figure out that the theorem only applies when there is a right angle.

Then what I like to call the “Boba Phet wave lab” which let me learn by playing  around with frequency and amplitudes.

Then we increased our knowledge of the geometry – and also the law of reflection – by using another cool website to design a right angle triangle using lasers and mirrors.

.

Then it was time to build the final project with actual lasers and mirrors. My design was based on the insignia of a faction in a game I’m developing – which in turn is based on a right angle triangle. It looked really cool with red lasers and a smoke machine.

hers the design and final product