Ever tried to put an event on trial?

We finally got a live exhibition! And luckily (ok it was like a 90% chance) this project WAS my cup of hot chocolate 😉

2. I got to act!

1. It was fun!

4. History!!!!!!!!

3. Swordplay… wait no…

Revolutions are fun, especially if they involve defenestration. sadly we got the Haitian revolution which didn’t mention any. Though on the bright side we did get the Haitian revolution, which is the only successful slave revolt in history!

But before all that we did a “Nation X” simulation, it was chaotic and some memorable moments for me were:

• That one time I got thrown in jail for clarifying that an audience with the king didn’t mean watching his secret meeting.
  • The jail cell not having a guard so I could just walk out (that was how you escaped prison, just walk away)
  • As a bodyguard to the king, not having any way to protect him as I couldn’t kill anyone, or even send them to jail without them going willingly.
  • I resorted to getting paper and pencil and “drawing” swords on people, yea that still didn’t work.

After doing that for a week we started the actual project, I was put in the Haitian revolution team. Which meant I would research the revolution to prepare for the trial, though we didn’t know what side we’d take.  

We started researching on our own, then we shard our work to the group and after we knew our revolution well enough, we were assigned our side. We were prosecution, arguing that the Haitian revolution was ineffective.

Our class established the criteria for the effectiveness of the revolutions:

I. Political reform aligning with the voice of the people

II. Increased rights, freedoms, and liberties for the people (religion, mobility, speech)

III. Removal of dictator with sweeping powers

IV. Financial stability achieved (jobs, industry)

V. Standard of living improved (food, shelter, water)

VI. Removal of internal conflict

We argued that I. and V. were attained, though not as well as we would like but II. wasn’t and with III. they replaced one with another IV. was an utter failure and much worse then it started, so was VI.

I personally cross-examined Jacque Dessalines (Nolan) asking him questions that he would hopefully answer in ways that supported our side.

And to discuss our success, well we won, so, we must have been at least semi competent. 🙂

I also got to be a clerk in the Xinhai trial