Chemistry stories blog, great title not included.

Our most recent scimatics project was about the formation of compounds. We had to figure out a way to illustrate, in an animation using Bohr models,  how the electrons are shared between the different atoms in ionic and covalent bonds.  We then made those animations part of a story video that explains the science. 

This was the biggest video assignment since DI last year and it was fun to work on. I got to do the whole production myself, from concept to storyboard to script to animation. I started working on a musical score too but ran out of time. 

I chose iron oxide because metal is cool and rust is a real-world problem for anyone working with it. I then wanted to show ferrite but the formulation was too complex so I chose methane as it is one of the components of ferrite. 

We had a couple examples of what the project should look like, but we were given quite a lot of creative freedom. Most of the animation was done in keynote, but the art was done in sketches pro, so I guess I’m an artist now?

Anyway here’s the final project:

Or final product