Mmmm Pole

How I felt about my learning 

People and the Environment 

Our first project in Humanities this year was People and the Environment. As you may have guessed, I wasn’t very proud of my work on this project. For starters I’m not much of a writer and writing comes quite slowly to me. Recently I’ve improved as a writer and storyteller, but this assignment wasn’t exactly that type of writing.  We had to write a persuasive letter on a topic of our choosing (as long as it fit within the project.) I didn’t feel motivated because my original idea was too big – a national or even international issue, and I had to settle for a smaller local topic that I wasn’t as passionate about. 

Game of Exponent Laws

This was a more fun project, we got to make a game. I chose to do the project individually; it was a bit challenging to do everything without help from group mates, but I liked having full creative control. I wish I’d had people to play test it with before game day. 

Revolutions on Trial 

It was awesome! We got to act! We also had a big show at the winter exhibition!

I’m a reasonably competent actor for someone who isn’t an actor. I also really like history and knew a bit about the Haitian revolution prior to this. It was a large group project, which was… chaotic… There were some strong opinions and conflicts but it came together in the end. I also liked taking the role of court clerk for the Xinhai revolution trial. 

Correlation vs causation

I developed a questionnaire about sci-fi preferences and knowledge. The correlation was hard to graph but it kind of restored my faith in humanity because a shockingly high number of people were more knowledgeable than I expected. 

It was also presented at the winter exhibition.

Chemistry Stories

This was the biggest video assignment since DI last year and it was fun to work on. I got to do the whole production myself, from concept to storyboard to script to animation. I even started working on a musical score too but ran out of time. 

Working with Words

Poems are harrrrrrd  🙁 but playing with words and sounds is fun… sometimes…

I learned about poetic devices like alliteration, assonance, simile, metaphor and (my favorite) Juxtaposition. Putting it all together into an online book with embedded audio explanations was cool and a great way to share the work with relatives. 

DI

We didn’t do much so far, but we’re doing it mostly in term two.