Comic Cells

How can I make a comic story to show the process of influenza in our body? This was a really fun but time consuming project where we made our own comic! We learned about diseases and cellular body processes.

Our entry event was watching the movie Osmosis Jones to get a base idea of what our project could look like. After we watched the movie we made a mind map that contained things we knew about cells and diseases and questions we had.

The end goal of this projects was to have a comic about cells and diseases that was scientifically accurate about how they interact with each other. The driving question for the project was “How do cells and diseases interact”? To answer the driving question we learned about a disease and how it interacts with cells in the body. With that information we made a fun comic about the process that the disease goes through and how the immune system reacts. 

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and Predicting: I used the questioning and predicting competency during the whole project by using all of our class time that was given to learn about influenza how how it travels through our body and creating the comic. I worked hard on creating the characters for my comic and learning how they would interact with each other. This shows that I can demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic!

Scientific Communication: I used the scientific communication skill while making the comic and figuring out how to integrate the scientific ideas in to the flow of the story. Finding ways to make the story fun and realistic was a challenge. Finding the right scientific words wasn’t that hard, but finding a way to explain the words without making the comic boring was a challenge. I think I did a very good job making accurate diagrams but also following the style I was drawing in. I used this competency in milestone 4 when making the rough storyboard because I had to convey the idea of my story only in rough sketches and only using the main scientific words. This shows that I can communicate my ideas using scientific language and representations.

Here is my rough story board: Storyboard!

Evaluating: The evaluating skill was used when drawing the pictures for the comic and putting the story together. We were showing how cells and diseases interact with each other. I extended on this skill by looking up on my own how the immune system reacts and fights the flu. I then I figured out how to incorporate my own understanding of the topic into my story. I think the most difficult part of the project was drawing all of the scenes because it was very time consuming. By completing milestone 5 it shows that I can demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.

Here is my final comic: Kung Flu Fighting

To end the project off we went back to our mind maps and filled in new things we learned!

I had a very fun time learning about cells and how they interact. This project really showed me how complex our bodies really are! Thanq for reading!

✌️bye.