As you may know by now I am in a school program called PLP. In PLP we take advantage of technology. As a Requirement we all have to buy iPads and Apple Pencils. During the month or so in our Maker class we have been learning the features and uses of the Apple Pencil. Our project was called “The Power Of The Pencil “. This post is a reflection of my learning during this project and how I have used the iPad and Apple Pencil to my advantage while being an empowered learner. This post is a step by step walk through on my milestone assignments, the work I’ve created and how I feel I am an empowered learner.

Milestone 1: Milestone 1 was creating word art! As this was our project launch, we were just starting to learn how to use our Apple Pencil to it’s fullest ability. This is how I became empowered. Learning to create anything I wanted on an iPad empowered me as I could now draw or create whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. It also empowered me as the Apple Pencil is very powerful and allowed me to create much more diverse projects. For milestone 1 we created word art. Specifically our name. I chose to create a 1 point perspective drawing featuring my name!

Milestone 2: Milestone 2 was learning how to sketch note. In class we watched a video on the power of belief and how our mindset affects our success. While watching the video we had to sketch note the big points the presenter was talking about. We had to incorporate all sorts of tricks into our notes to make it less cluttered and easier to understand. I felt as an empowered learner during this project as I finally had an easy way to jot down my ideas in a neat and creative way. I felt empowered to create and spread my ideas on virtual paper.

Milestone 3: For milestone 3 we had to create a self portrait using tracing techniques and layers. The app we used was called sketches pro. I used a photo of my face and traced it, then using a different layer I coloured my face. Using another layer, I worked on the details, and using 1 final layer I drew my hair. During this assignment I learned how to use layers well. Layers are important so that you can draw something underneath something else or if you make a mistake it’s easier to correct. Especially during this assignment I felt empowered by my new knowledge. I learned how easy it was to draw on a device and how powerful it actually was.

As you can see, so far I have been an empowered learner. I have mostly been empowered by new skills that I’ve learned and how I’ve realized the simplicity of drawing on a device. I’ve empowered myself by taking the initiative to read the book that apple wrote on how to draw and create effectively. My assignment have empowered me with the knowledge that they provide on creation skills and my learning in general.

Milestone 4: The goal for milestone 4 was to create a still life with a distinctive light source. We had to create the light source using shading techniques taught by the apple book. I created my still life using the colour match feature so I could perfectly create an image with a light source. Unfortunately the picture I used didn’t even have a distinctive light source so wasn’t able to meet standards I set for myself. I felt empowered learning how to create realistic drawings and capture the earth in a still life.

Milestone 5: For milestone 5 we had to create a company logo. First we had to create a company. As I like skiing I chose to create a made-up company called Drift Ski Co. The company produced high-quality skins made for professionals. Next we had to design a logo with a clear theme. I chose I simple, clean and modern theme. I had created many other logos before in my spare time for fun so I hadn’t felt as empowered. I hadn’t felt as empowered because I had done this many times before and I wasn’t anything new.

Milestone 6: Milestone 6 is this very blog post! In milestone 6 we had to reflect on our project as a whole and how we were an empowered learner. We also had to create something new using one of the techniques we learned during this project. I chose to trace something as the portrait I had traced I felt had been my best work. I chose to trace a republic star destroyer from Star Wars!

Now, to reflect on this project as a whole. Throughout this project I have been empowered by everything I’ve learned during this project. An example of that would be the sketch notes and how I felt empowered by spreading my ideas out in a simple, clear way. I felt empowered as I was choosing how I wanted to display my ideas. I achieved in all milestones as I took initiative to learn more about creating and developing myself by reading about how to create on technology. I demonstrated my learning goals through my end product for each milestone as I created something meaningful for each assignment. Lastly I empowered myself through my learnings of this project and how technology has advanced my knowledge of creating lasting meaningful creations that I can use in my everyday life such as sketch noting. I’ve empowered myself through my understanding and learning of our milestones.

TeroVesalainen / Pixabay