Destination Imagination: π‘…π‘’π‘”π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒπ’Άπ“π“ˆ

Hey and welcome to my blog, recently PLP once agin hosted and competed in Destination Imagination regional tournament. In this post I’m going to reflect on how my team reached the solution we presented at regionals, how regionals went and some steps I want to take in the future towards a better solution for provincials.

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β ~Getting to Regionals~

My group and I, Grace,Matthew, Ryan, Owen and Finn. Began our D.I journey by doing what is extremely important in D.I ,understanding what your restrictions are. Because Destination Imagination is a competition, there are rules and requirements for each challenge, so we really had to familiarize ourselves with those rules, and truly research our challenge.Β 

The Big Fix : a technical challenge. You must create a invention that solves a real problem. That invention must use technical methods. There must be an impact scenery that changes during your performance to show the effects of the invention. The impact scenery must include three technical methods. During your performance you must also present a prototype of your invention, it must be a part of the story. There also must be two team choice elements that show off your teams skills, they also need to be integrated in your story

After familiarizing ourselves with the details of our challenge, and learning about how we were expected to overall create a solution to a problem using multiple technical methods it was time to start that solution.Β 

To come up with what would eventually become our solution we then brainstormed some ideas. After deliberating over a few we decided on a very popular problem, leaving your fridge door open aka wasting power. We thought this idea would be perfect because its an important issue but also something we could solve. Once we had our main idea, we had to figure out what exactly our solution would look like. We did some research And decided what we would do.

Once we knew what we wanted to complete it was time to get started on the building. For our story we decided on a school setting so I began creating our backdrop and helping out wherever I could while my group members worked on the fridge, team choice element, and I apart scenery. Soon our burn down chart decreased and it was quickly the day of regionals.

~ Β Β Regionals ~

The morning of Regionals we had a pretty big issue, our invention wasn’t working, and throughout the day we realized we would not be able to prepare it in time for our presentation. Instead we focused on getting down our lines and doing our best job of acting out our story. We also tried to find ways to show our strong parts of the challenge, to make up for the points we could lose for the invention. Being frantic and nervous about our invention helped me get better at recovering from obstacles and continuing to work on other attributes of the project.

Even though we knew we would lose all those points Im happy we decided to focus on other aspects of our challenge because it truly paid off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wcrk10nNk

Our performance went pretty well, despite some moments and I’m actually pretty proud of how it went. Because of researching and learning about our challenge Β we knew when to focus on what, and understood our challenge much more.

Looking forwardsΒ 

Even though I am proud of our regional performance there is still so much to improve on.

0 comments on “Destination Imagination: π‘…π‘’π‘”π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒπ’Άπ“π“ˆAdd yours →