The Gold Rush✨

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog, a few weeks ago we returned to school. For our first humanities project online we learned all about Gold. We took a look at gold rushes in British Columbia, and touched on other major gold rushes and gold hunts to answer our driving question How did Gold shape a province and its people. 

We began by completing our very first assignment, which was to create a visual all about Gold.  

Here is the drawing I created. 

Creating this image got me thinking more about gold, what it is used for, what its been used for, and also the role it plays in society today. This activity also gave me a chance to communicate my ideas I had about gold to my classmates and teachers.

Next we began exploring gold rushes in BC. To do this we were paired into groups. We had to together find 25 gold rush attractions and create a tour on google earth. Here is our tour.

This was a helpful for me because I learned some facts about many different gold rush towns and mines. I also knew a lot more places and where they were and how the Gold rush changed them. Not only was this a chance for me to learn and show I understood this history,  I also got to create a way to teach others. 

After mapping BC we continued to show what we knew about the gold rush through our gold rush character cards. We created two character cards based during the gold rush ,one real and one made up. For the made up card We used knowledge we had to chose their job, name and place they lived. For the real card we researched an important person during the time of the gold rush. Heres my character cards. 

This was a great way to show what I knew about people living in BC during the time of the gold rush, and overall establish and demonstrate historical significance.

We then began to prepare to create our final product, which would be a video. Before we began making our video we had to create a story spine. To make our videos we chose a video to base ours off of from the channel, Gold trails and Ghost towns. I chose a video called deadman’s hill. I took notes from the video and narrowed it down to what variation of the story I wanted to tell and here is the final product. 

Making the story spine was really helpful as it gave me something to base my video off of, so I wasn’t just randomly throwing clips into iMovie. This also was a good way to make sure what I planned on putting in my video was what I wanted to communicate to an audience. I also got to double check to make sure everything was historically correct. In a way this story spine was like a draft. 

Now it was time to create our Gold rush video. For this video I used images I found online, images I made and also video footage I created. I took all my footage added music and voiceovers and here it is my Gold rush video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25MA9a2_FwY

This video I was a little difficult at first because I had trouble finding images but I’m pretty proud of how it turned out. I communicated my ideas of the topic, and all facts were historically correct amend made sense. Most importantly it showed ho this area of BC was affected throughout the gold rush. It told the story of the south okanagan highlands and gave viewers a better understanding of how the gold rush shaped British Columbia and its people. 

This project was really cool, i enjoyed learning weird facts about gold but also more about the history of where I live. Bye for now, Kaia

0 comments on “The Gold Rush✨Add yours →