What makes us proud?

Hey everyone and welcome to another weekly post. Last week we began planning for the Spring Exhibition. The exhibition will take place at the end of the school year and focus on What makes us proud to be Canadian. While brainstorming ideas and considering what in Canada would make people proud. I wondered what exactly incites pride in a person. I thought if I could understand how we become proud, I could come up with better ideas.

To understand pride I read “The Psychological Structure of Pride: A Tale of Two Facets.”

The report looked into two different forms of pride, authentic and hubristic. 

I learned that pride is closely tied to self esteem. Along with shame, pride contributes to our ego. When we feel prideful it generates a feeling of being proud.

Pride is not exactly a natural emotion, it is actually created by our society. The way we live as a species fuels this feeling and other feelings that contribute to self consciousness.

• While I’ve made pride sound kind of bad, it isn’t always. Pride, like I mentioned earlier provides positive feelings, Contributing to people’s self esteem. While extreme pride can become narcissism, it is for the most part beneficial.

Pride comes from the sense of achievement. The feeling of being proud comes from the idea that you did something good or created something successful. The best way to evoke pride is to make someone feel responsible and involved in an event.

Knowing what I know now, I think the best way to make our audience proud is to involve them as much as possible. Showing how they as Canadians could’ve contributed to these great moments overtime. If we do this I think we will definitely meet our goal of making our audience proud of Canada and themselves. 

0 comments on “What makes us proud?Add yours →