Maybe there is a beast… maybe it’s only us.

4 short weeks ago, my peers and I inaugurated a surprisingly profound and psychological unit, tribalism. During the extent of this unit we questioned social groups, humanity, mans nature, and our societal constructs. 

To accompany this unit, we read a book as deep in meaning as the topic itself. The Lord Of The Flies (LOTF) is a literary pillar, read by all. This book is so influential because of the ideas, adopted. Mans inherent evil, power and authority, or the corruption of innocence, Golding (The Author) truly tackles the ideas that civilization stands on. Reading this book, reinstated the appreciation for quality books, and reading. This may sound right out of the textbook, but I truly have not enjoyed a book in a very, very, very long time, and I am sure that my frustrated mother can corroborate. Reading this book with interest provided me with a elevated level of knowledge. When reading, I found myself analyzing the text, and picking up the contemporary meanings and ideas by myself.

At this point in the unit, we had progressed into the most fulfilling and fun assignments, Journal Entries. These journal entries, were a weekly happening that revolved around LOTF prompt questions. These were written works of about 250-500 words, prompted by a question of inquiry relating to the real word and tribalism. Whether it be about violence, gender, control, or leadership, I enjoyed writing each one thoroughly. These  assignments became less of a burden and more of a fun project, and I found myself sitting down and writing two weeks worth of material. My motivation gradually intensified and started to set my best foot forward, for every journal. During this time, I truly refined my writing process, and have established more confidence in the world of writing. I found as well I began focusing on key competencies to uplift the writing, such as supporting quotes. Over the few weeks, I certainly improved and progressed immensely on my writing.

Now I will be reflecting on the curricular competencies that made up our unit.

Firstly, reading and personal text response this competency describes most of the writing and reading we do, during this unit we reflected and analyzed the text (LOTF). That means that our routine journal responses fall under this competency. During the writing process the ideas were built upon the text we were reading.

The next competency, I exemplified was a deep understanding of language construction and intent. I did research and came to a understanding of the context, of the author, social, personal, and culture, values. One example of my understanding of intent and language construction is: Golding wrote his famous book, in 1953, after WW2. Golding was in the Navy and said, “I began to see what people were capable of doing. Anyone who moved through those years without understanding that man produces evil as a bee produces honey, must have been blind or wrong in the head.” This quote directly relates to the thematic nature of the book. I understood that his experiences in the war, very much moulded his very existence and book. Another example is our translation and deeper understanding of the language used in the book, which held many terms from the 1950’s.

The literary identification and analysis, I mainly used while writing my Journal Responses. During the writing process I accompanied statements and writing with a supporting quote to give basis and real understanding of my ideas.

The last competency is the Writing Process. We used this most often because it describes the use and act of creating text and the process that undergoes. This is my favourite and most used competency.

At this point in the project, we had commenced into our very last stage, a presentation. A beautifully constructed presentation that highlighted the chosen tribes societal role in past or present, with a connection to of course…. LOTF. We dove straight into researching tribes – with my amazing group which consisted of Isabelle, and Marshall. My group and I had many ideas, one being the Catholic Church. For obvious reasons we quickly narrowed our scope and chose, Hitler Youth. 

For the majority of the project, I had my focus on the Hitler Youth, it’s role in society, and its connection to LOTF. During this time I did an overwhelming amount of research, reading and coming to a full understanding of the purpose. I used that knowledge developed through text and the real world and supported my understanding with necessary connections (ie. Helmut, family members, and friends).

Overall, I believe our group worked relatively well together, balancing, communicating, working, and interpreting each others ideas well. We worked hard and often, yet still developed a working and sectional divide. This is because in every group, someone has to lead, in this case Isy. She worked on the keynote and script, while marshall and myself worked mainly on the script and formulating ideas. Thankfully, we are all hard workers and helped each other, in the end all cumulatively producing a great and fulfilling project.