Walls Have Ears | TWIL #3

Another Monday, another TWIL post. During the extent of this unit we have discussed WW2 conferences, economics, driving on the interstate, General Ike, and Little Richard and the pop culture boom. This week we have switched gears and learned about espionage, democracy vs communism, the spy society, and power control.

Spies are known as a star from your favourite movies, tv shows, and scandalous books, starring Matt Damon, and Daniel Craig. Yet, spies have been around for a long period of time, they have many old roots. In late 16th-century England, Queen Elizabeth was a Protestant royal who endured perpetual threats to her life and reign. A multitude of enemies and distorted fears led to her paranoia—swiftly the royal court rebuts with a secret war.

The use of spies grew again in popularity during the Cold War. A misconceived idea was that their was fighting in the Cold War, this is obviously false based of the word: ‘cold’. During this time the powers around the world, notably the USSR and America where racing for nationalistic superiority. The 2 powers were on a constant race, to space and nuclear arms. For conspicuous reasons, the power that be wanted to know the top secret and innovative work each side was creating. This spying was all based off the power control. In Macbeth and the 1950’s, you can see the way each power fights to control all.

Here are my notes from this week! I really disliked doing this set of notes, didn’t work for me.

On the western front spies were becoming a household topic. High-profile spies such as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, and Aldrich Ames were accused of spying and convicted for spying on behalf of the Soviet Union. In the west a man named Igor Gouzenko, was a notable Canadian ‘spy’. Igor’s occupation was a steady and important job at the Russian Embassy in Ottawa. After his defection from Russia he became a Canadian citizen, and began telling Canada about important information and handed over top-secret files. In America spies and communists became a topic of frustration and worry. This spying and espionage is all stemmed from the need for power controls. When Kings, Presidents, Queens, and Dictators are fighting for power they use a popular means of control, spying. I believe that Macbeth and the 1950’s both display a need for power control. In act 4 of Macbeth, we see the breakdown of Macbeth’s powers. Macbeth is notified of Macduff and his plan on murdering him. After hearing word of Macduff’s plans, Macbeth orders two murderers to go to Macduff’s castle and murder his wife and son. Macbeth made the first move because he knew what was coming for him. This power shift and fight resemble a clear mirror image of the 1950’s.

In this image I created, I wanted to display how there is a continuity of power control in every world.

To conclude my TWIL finale, I wrote about spying, and power control. During the three weeks of lecturing and scene reading, my knowledge of Macbeth and the 1950’s has been expanded and the thought process of connecting two completely different topics. I have also improved my literacy skills, creation process, and analysis.

This is a little word search I created. Give it a try!

Evidence:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage

2. https://www.history.com/tag/spies

MPOLS Connection

During my 2020 mPols, I mentioned about my use of Basecamp and understanding assignments tasked. During these TWILS I have exemplified my understanding and visited Basecamp regularly. For this trio of posts I have been accompanied by a routine before and after visit to basecamp. My reflections were all based of the competencies assessed.