Heather and Her Beaten Up Shoes | PGP 11

About 2 Months. Thats the beginning of quarantine and the reinvention of myself. During quarantine I have took it upon myself to take measures to make sure I don’t waste away my time in solitary. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been damn fulfilling. Here are some of my daily goals and routines: 

• Maintain a passive Calorie Deficit
  • Workout 6 times a week
  • Read and Study everyday 
  • Run 2-3 times a week
  • Plyometrics every 2nd day
  • Stretch twice a day
  • French online 7 hours a week
  • Wake up 6:55 am
  • Get up 150 shots per day
  • 10 minutes of dribbling

What’s all this about? 

David Goggins and James Clear are the only hype men I need.

James Clear’s articles on “What is actually required for success?” was an insightful look into the unfiltered truth to success and helped me realize my failures when working towards my goals. Most people believe there is a quick fix to everything. It’s on Pop-up adds and YouTube tutorials, featuring everything under the sun. Most of us are all hooked on the quick-fix and the life hack. Everyone is on the hunt for that algorithm that nets maximum profit with the least amount of effort. Whether it’s lifting weights, running, school, chess, checkers, or cooking there is not cheating the system. 

For this assignment, we have been tasked with reading an article from jamesclear.com and to analyze and reflect on it. As someone who has always has his eyes set on success, I chose this article: 

What is Actually Required for Success?

This article dives into the mistakes we make when striving for success. We first focus on the 10%. When did I drink my pre-workout? Do I need knee-sleeves? Should I buy a new pair of shoes? Instead of putting in the work, you’d rather distract and obsess about the 10%. When in reality, “What you do need is to make a decision, set a schedule, and get started. What you need is to do the work.”

I do it to!

This morning I woke up at 6:55am. Instead of propelling myself into today’s workout I spent approximately an hour watching videos on a particular workout. This has been my kryptonite. Over examining and regularly wasting my time on the small details. Most importantly, it throws my motivation and workout off course. This is an example of how this approach has been plaguing my goals. 

Why do I do it?

It is simply easier to distract myself from the the 90% work, than to face it. It’s much easier to claim that you need something other than hard work. Instead of you needing to constantly work, you tell yourself it’s the 10% variables. At a certain point you need to put in the hours. To anyone reading this post, I can promise you, that the reason you’re failing does not start with the proper squat form, the right guitar, or a new laptop.

Working Wonders 

Since reading this article I have been very strict with how I approach my goals. I put in the work, bad or good. I have found two gigantic upsides. Firstly, it has dramatically compacted every workout, assignment, or practice. Instead of something taking and hour and ½ they take 45 minutes. Secondly, it has helped me build a lot of character. I think this approach will carry on to everything I do. 

I have learned the 10% is always going to be there, but first figure out the 90%. The only thing that has guaranteed me success is consistency. James Clear says, “You don’t need a better guitar to learn how to play. You don’t need a better camera to become a good photographer. You don’t need more experience to become a public speaker.” This goes for anything. I’m one of the slowest kids on my team, but without a doubt you will see me every second day at Myrtle putting in the work. I’m not the greatest basketball player on my team, but without a doubt you will see me at cove cliff putting up those shots, and without a doubt you will see me improve every day.

Reading through this article was really beneficial. It has helped me reinforce and discover my views (e.g, only ingredient you really need to find success and the obstacles you will find along the way). Remember, in the end the greatest skill is always doing the work.