My Guinea Pig Problem (part 2)

Well, hello again. Oh, who am I? I’m Kate. Yup, sorry, I may or may not have forgotten to write posts in a looooong time. Oh well! Better late than never right?!

Aaaaaannnnd…. now I can’t remember how to start a post. *sigh*

I’ll give it my best shot: Hello everyone!!! This is another post in a long line of posts and pages that will be about guinea pigs. Except now it’s not just about any old guinea pig, it’s about the guinea pigs that live in my house! Yep, that’s right. I got guinea pigs. If this last sentence has you confused, you can visit my post on that here. My guinea pig’s names are Bee and Lion. And I love them very much. (Some might say a little too much…)

This post is going to be me telling a story about Bee, and how she got a little bit sick. 

Well,  I will admit, I may be a bit obsessive over the guinea pigs. One day when I went downstairs in the morning, I realized that the guinea pigs had not eaten a lot of their hay. Usually, it is half empty in the mornings and I have to refill it, but not that morning. I thought nothing of it, and continued on my day. When I gave the guinea pigs their food, Lion, as usual, ripped it out of my hand and scurried away with it. Bee however, took it gently, and kind of started sniffing it and taking very small bites. I figured she probably was full from eating kibble, and again, thought nothing of it.

The next morning, the same thing had happened with the hay. It was then when I became a little curious to why they piggies hadn’t eaten it, but I had to go to school. After school, I sat in the living room for a while and read, occasionally glancing up to see what the piggies were doing. For the entire time I watched, Lion was eating hay. It was then that I noticed that Bee was not. I even stuffed some new hay on the top of the hay rack. This usually gets the piggies very excited, so I was confused when Bee still didn’t eat hay. It was then that I decided to weigh the piggies. Lion had gained a couple grams (nothing significant) but Bee had lost over 50. That was when I started freaking out.

I called my mum, and she agreed to take Bee to the vet that weekend. I spent the next couple days constantly worrying until we got to the vet. The vet felt Bee’s tummy, and proclaimed she was constipated. She gave us some pain medicine for a couple of days for Bee, and some supplements of weird green stuff to supplement the hay.

After getting the supplement stuff, I had to feed it to Bee 3 times a day. This involved me holding her on my lap, and squeezing the green stuff into her mouth with an eye dropper. I have to admit, one day I didn’t have much time to do it, so I ended feeding her while on a zoom class…

In the end though, she’s fine.

This whole ordeal taught me a lot of things.

• Always pay attention to the habits of your pets
  • Not everything requires a full-on panic
  • Just remember to keep calm, and do what’s best for your pet

Phew! The end of a blog post that has taken me forever.

– Kate

One thought on “My Guinea Pig Problem (part 2)

1. Also the photos are upside down. If you noticed this too, the guinea pigs do not have spider-man abilities and are not hanging from the ceiling, there is just something weird going on with my blog. 😀

– Kate