An average post about designing

Hey! Welcome to another post on my blog! I hope you read all the way to the end of this one too! Enjoy!

This post is based off of our latest project in scimatics; The “Ultimate Design Challenge” this “challenge” was a project where we were to create a 3D design (and print it) in the app Tinkercad™ of course, we were allowed to use other design apps as long as it was possible to find SA (surface area) and V (volume).

Anyway, on to the actual project

Milestone 1: milestone 1 was a chance to think about what we really wanted to design, well what we might design anyway. When I made my “driving question”” as we call it, I thought that I would design a goalie glove for soccer, however, I did end up doing it because it has too many hard calculations.

Milestone 2: this milestone was or once we had decided what we would finally make. I decided to make a wine glass for maximum volume. I chose this one because I thought it would be cool to design something like a cup.

These are the formulas for SA and V for all of the shapes I had at the time

Milestone 3: milestone 3 was the final calculations and measurements for our 3D model. Mine actually had more SA than V which was not my goal.

Here are my final calculations!

Milestone 4: milestone 4 was the final model. We had it sent into our teacher (Mr. Hughes) to be 3D printed at school. Unfortunately for me, my print didn’t work and I had to do without it.

This is a photo of my final model in the app I created it in! Shapr3D!

Milestone 5: milestone 5 was our presentation to the class. This presentation was supposed to include our printed model but only one group had it. My presentation in general was a flop. I didn’t have anything prepared and I think that I can improve on that in the future.

Competency time!

Applying and innovating: this one was based around using your time efficiently and working well. I think that I mostly did this well even though I had some distractions in class.

Reasoning and analyzing: this competency was meant to show how well you can show math in an efficient and convincing way while having it make sense. I think that in my calculations and formulas I showed this well because it shows the numbers in an open are for simplicity.

Communicating and representing: thins competency was pretty simple. It was to show what you know about your calculations and providing proof of them for evidence. Although I didn’t do a good job at this during my presentation, I think that I did have the calculations and formulas in an easy-to-read concept.

until next time!

Keenan