Let’s unleash some children into the world to take photos, and let some children use sharp drawing tools

Hello and welcome back.

For today we have another maker post! Recently we have been doing a two part Mini project type thing. We were split into two groups, Carr and Hertzog, (i will explain those later) and did 5 classes, then we have to switch groups. (Carr becomes Hertzog, and Hertzog becomes Carr). During these few classes with Carr I have really learned a lot about sketching and drawing!

Continue reading “Let’s unleash some children into the world to take photos, and let some children use sharp drawing tools”

Comics are the most annoying to create in the world.

Hello fellow inhabitant of the universe and welcome or welcome back to my blog. Today I am going to be talking about the last scimatics project of grade 8, comic cells.

The goal of this project was to make a comic about a virus/bacteria of our choice. There were 5 key milestones for this project.
milestone 1: project start mind map

As always we were asked to create a project start mind map. I think that I definitely could have done a much better job on this. I normally have a lot to put on these, but this time I really didn’t have much on the subject. I also didn’t turn it in on time.

milestone 2: disease wanted poster

For this milestone, I think that I did a good job. I turned it in almost on time, because I forgot to turn it in on time. For this milestone, we had to create a wanted poster for our disease. We had to put information such as when it was discovered, where it is most common, , how it effects the human body and cells,  the symptoms and more.

milestone 3: Khan cells test

This was basically just a series of tests to make sure we knew about the topics. We had to get 65% (i think that’s what it was) or over to complete the milestone.

milestone 4: storyboard

This was the base of our final comics. We had to plan out our entire comic, including what the characters would say. I did not complete this on time, and then I decided to completely change my story. I definitely could have turned this in earlier, I just completely lacked the motivation to complete it on time.

milestone 5: comic book

the final milestone. We had to make our final comic using an app called comic life. Comic life essentially allows you to make a comic. The problem is that you have to draw your images in another app and them import them into the app. I did not complete this on time, and I truly didn’t think that I would be able to finish it for Tuesday (I am writing this on a wednesday).

And now we must discuss the forbidden topic. No you cant tell anyone. If you do I’ll hunt you down and chop off your hands. Yes this is a threat. We do not speak of the core competencies out of blog posts.

Sorry those were the homework demons. Just ignore them.

“Hey im not a Demon”

”yes you are. Now get out of my blog post”

“fineeeee”

sorry about that. Anyways back to the core competencies. They are: questioning and predicting, scientific communication (thats what the document said), and Evaluating.

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. All class time is used for learning and creating a comic book story about cellular processes and/or diseases. For this competency I was in between developing and proficient. I think that I really deserved emerging. I did not use my time well at all, and I only really started my comic two days before was due, and didn’t finish it until it was 4 days late. I did end up turning it in though.

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies
Correct vocabulary and accurate diagrams are used. At least 10 interesting science vocabulary words are included in the story. For this competency I was proficient. I think that I really deserved in between emerging/developing and proficient. I dont think that I used that much scientific language, and I dint think that my diagrams were very accurate.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence
Cell/bacteria/virus characters interact in a scientific way. Symptoms and logical outcomes of the chosen disease/cellular/ body process are integrated into The story. For this competency I was proficient. I think that I really deserved in between emerging/developing and proficient. I dont know how scientific the characters really acted, because there wasnt much dialogue. There wasn’t much of a story to my comic, though it did include all of the symptoms and other information.

That is all for now
thanks for reading!
bye

“and dont forget to not speak of the core competencies or ill chop off your hands!”

“Dude i told you to get out of my blog post”

“No”

Its the most stressful time of the yearrrrrrrr (tPOL 2022)

Hello and welcome or welcome back to my blog. This blog post is for my tPOL. tPOL Stands for transitional presentation of learning. Similar to the mPOL, you have a total of 12 minutes to present. You must reflect on your growth as a learner across all PLP courses, reflect on your work habits, areas for improvement, etc, and more.

as usual, before we start our tPOL, we must state the following.

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

As for all projects, there is a driving question. For this project it is:

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

I have never really put thought into this question before. It was always just finish another year of school, have a break for a few months, then move to a new classroom, I never thought about if I was really ready.

At the start of the year we made these annoying things calle learning plans. We had to fill them out with information on where we want to be with the core competencies, and where we think that we will be at the end of the year.

HUMANITIES:
a the start of the year, I put down that I thought that I would be accomplished at the end of the year. I think that I had high expectations for myself, thinking hat I could magically improve my work habits and turn in everything in on time, though that really was not the case. I managed to get in some of my work in on time, though there were those times where I forgot to write down somethign and then I forgot about it and didnt turn ti in on time. There were also times when I just didn’t turn things in until a lot later, because if lack of motivation to do the work. At the start of the year, I said that some of my strengths were working in a group, sharing my ideas, including everyone in conversations, and listening to other’s ideas. I think that these ahve pretty much stayed the same. A project that I think showcased all of these was the first Humanities project we did. Though it was so long ago, when we were sill learning how to use our iPads (we know so little back then), I think that it was the best group that I worked with. I think that was back when I still turned in most of my stuff on time too. The outsiders was also a project where I think I really showed my strengths, as well as having a lot of new experiences. We had our fist exhibition, and this was also the first project that we did where one of the finals things we did wasn’t digital, instead being our tableaus that we presented at the winter exhibition. I think that a project that I really showed my incapability to do my work on time was the poetry project. I didn’t turn in any of the work in on time, and I think that I definitely could have turned in my work on time.

SCIMATICS
Scimatics was a class that I think I could have done so much better at. I’m pretty sure that the only projects I turned everything in on time Were the first few projects. The first one was fractions of your time, and it was at the very start of the year, so it was less stressful. Then, there were Techtonic chances and laser laws. I don’t think that the reason that I managed to turn in my work on time for these projects but because for both projects I was in a group. When I work in groups, it motivates me to complete my work Fully and on time so I don’t disappoint the rest of my group members. At the start of the year I said that my skills in scimatics were doing initial math problems, making things, and working in a group. I think that these have stayed the same, though I think that I can add doing some more advanced math/science topics that we learned this year. For growth, I put “I want to be able to complete things on time and have them fully done had submitted the night before because I always turn things in late and or incomplete.” From the time that I wrote this to now, I don’t think I had very much growth. There was probably the odd time that I turn something in on time, so looking at all of my assignments, most of my scimatics work is handed in late. At the start of the year I said that I wanted to be accomplished at the end of the year, and I think that’s what I am right now.

MAKER
although maker was a class that we only had for the first semester, I think from the time I wrote this to the end of the semester I had some form of growth. At the start of the year I wrote that my Strank‘s were listening to others, bringing good ideas to the table, and including everyone in the conversation. I also put that I thought that I was good at creating things. I think that these have mostly say the same, though I can say that my skills of using a bunch of different apps and navigating the iPad has improved greatly. At the start of the year when I first got my iPad I had no idea how do use it. Well, I didn’t know how to use it but just the basics. I didn’t know how do use a bunch of the Apps that were on my iPad, and if I I had figured out how to use an app, it wasn’t very well. Maker definitely expanded my skills of using the iPad. For growth, I put that I wanted to hand in all of my assignments on time and I also wanted to not rush my assignments because most of the work I had turned in before I been very rushed. I think that mostly I was able to turn in my work that hadn’t been rushed. Although destination imagination was only a maker class for a few weeks, there classes were used well. We got to know our groups, created ideas for our challenge solutions, looked over challenge rules and more. All of this proved to be very helpful in the near future.

A total list of work I think that I did really well:

scimatics tectonic chances,

Scimatics laser laws,

scimatics fractions of our time,

Destination imagination

humanities the outsiders

humanities medium is the message

maker becoming a PLP learner

My final laptop memoji.

Projects that I could have done a lot better:

Working with words

Chemistry coding

comic cells

If you have made it this far, thank you for reading and have a nice day!

Go to New France they said. It would be fun they said.

Hello fellow inhabitants of the universe and welcome or welcome back to my blog. Today we are going to be talking about our last humanities project of the year. Today i am going to be talking about our most recent humanities project, as well as our last, which was called New beginnings (A side note, as I am typing this, callum is staring into the depths of my soul and criticizing my typing technique ).

Continue reading “Go to New France they said. It would be fun they said.”

The scimatics project with the most problematic app ever.

Hello and welcome or welcome back to my blog

For our most recent scimatics project, we had to make a 3d model of an object that was maximized for either surface area or volume. We had to use 3d shapes to make the model using an app called Tinkercad. I’ll tell you about why I dislike the app later though. This was an interesting project, as my procrastination skills improved a little bit from last time, and I actually got things done for once, but I also definitely could have done a few things in more detail.  Continue reading “The scimatics project with the most problematic app ever.”

Chemistry and coding. The project where I procrastinate way too much.

Hello there inhabitant of earth. If you aren’t one then please why are you here and how did you get this site?

anyways, welcome or welcome back to my blog.

For the past little while on scimatics, we have been working on our most recent project, chemistry coding. Our task was to build a matter game or simulator. We had to show the three states of matter, and be able to change the temperature to make the atoms move differently. Continue reading “Chemistry and coding. The project where I procrastinate way too much.”

It was nice knowing you. No it wasn’t. Maybe it was??? DI

Hello and welcome or welcome back to my blog. Today I am going to be talking about Destination imagination. A global competition that takes place every year. 

Before we start I should probably tell you about what DI is as I said DI is a global competition. There are three competition levels elementary, middle, and secondary. You are given a a challenge which is either technical, scientific, Feinartz, and improv. Some years there Is another type of challenge but this year they decided that it wouldn’t be an option. We were split into groups of up to seven people.

Continue reading “It was nice knowing you. No it wasn’t. Maybe it was??? DI”

Take some out of control grade 8&9s on some busses to a lake for a few days.

Hello and welcome or welcome back to my blog!

Today I am going to be talking about my first field study with PLP! Yes despite all odds, we went on a trip! This trip was to Loon Lake. In this post, I will be reflecting on the whole experience, including photos, and a recap of all of the things we did.

Continue reading “Take some out of control grade 8&9s on some busses to a lake for a few days.”

Keira died while trying to escape poetry. Score 2345.

Recently in class, we have been doing a poetry unit! The driving question for this project was “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?” During this project, we focused on al, things poetry. From how to read poetry, to how to present it well, we really learned it all.

Continue reading “Keira died while trying to escape poetry. Score 2345.”

Let’s give some out of control children some lasers and see how that goes

Today I am going to be talking about our most recent Scimatics project: Laser Laws!

For this project, we were asked to build a laser display that had a right triangle in it. We learned about how light works, different types of light, how to use the Pythagorean theorem and so much more. 

Continue reading “Let’s give some out of control children some lasers and see how that goes”