Powerful Staff Development: The Blanket Exercise

This past Friday, my staff and I had the opportunity to participate in “the blanket exercise” which is described by Kairos Canada as:

A teaching tool to share the historic and contemporary relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada.

At Carson Graham, we have been focused on authentically embedding Aboriginal Worldviews and Perspectives in the ClassroomIn doing so, we began this process by looking within and examining our own understandings and biases in order to make a difference.

Below, I would like to share the experience as described from Stephanie Maki – our Aboriginal Teacher Leader.

Blanket Exercise at Carson Graham

September 23, 2016

On Friday, September 23, 2016, the Carson Graham staff participated in the Blanket Exercise as part of our school based Pro D day workshops.

Led by facilitator Davita Marsden, Administration, teaching and support staff participated in a role playing activity that challenged participants to examine their own bias and understanding of the history of Canada and the effects that colonialism, The Indian Act and residential schooling has had,  and continues to have on Indigenous communities today.

In addition, we were honored to have Alroy “Bucky” Baker and Tracy Williams from the Squamish Education department and Heather Mhyre from the Aboriginal Education team join us.

This activity was extremely powerful and impacted each person individually and collectively as a school community. Growth in individual understanding of the process of colonization and how it impacts the entire community and our students was clearly evident:

img_7019

Teacher Quotes:

The blanket exercise workshop, gave me a new perspective and understanding for the atrocities against First Nations people in Canada. It was emotionally charged and provided an amazing opportunity not only to feel a sense of connection to the past but also this experience gave our school community a chance to connect to each other on a deeper level and develop the sense of belonging that we will then be able to pass down to our students! (A.B.)

Administration Quotes:

The Blanket Exercise was far more than a typical staff development exercise as it moved us along our journey to improve our Aboriginal understanding and teaching practices. Within my seventeen years as an educator, this experience was one of the most profound. The entire Carson Graham staff displayed emotional vulnerability and trust with one another and truly solidified a powerful bond that will propel us forward. We will seize this opportunity to “go forward with courage.   Karim Hachlaf

Special Education Aide quotes

The emotional wounds that this workshop opened up in me were profound. As a child growing up in an area with a “reserve” I am forever embarrassed  that as a “white person”  this was allowed to happen to my peers and even more sorrowful that this type of abuse has caused the devastating damage to [their] family structure  even to this day. (S.C.)

Carson Graham has been working on the pathway towards reconciliation and greater understanding of Aboriginal and local place based history over the past three years. This journey has included presentations by Wab Kinew, Brad Baker, and the Aboriginal Education Team.

img_7006

This Pro D session has brought the staff together in ways that no other Pro D has and from here, Carson Graham continues to move forward with courage on our individual and collective journeys towards reconciliation for all learners.

Stephanie Maki

Aboriginal Academic Support Teacher

Carson Graham