The Code of Code💻

Haha I have to say that this was my first time ever coding! Not exactly the type of experience I was hoping for after hearing what my friends had to say about it. “Oh! It’s the easiest thing in the world!”  They’d say or, “Its sooo much fun!” I could tell you otherwise that coding is definitely not the easiest job in the world. Infact from now on, I’ll probably never look at an app, video game or anything electronic the same way again. I now know how much work can actually go into programming. A game or website is made up of hundreds of little words and numbers that I probably will never understand. But let’s cut to the chase. Here is my experience: The Code of Code.

Like most people who took part in this challenge, I found myself going to the HourOfCode Website where I selected a coding lesson to do. Sad news here guys, it didn’t work. Turned out that I needed to have a lap top for the majority of the activities on the website. I clicked on button after button and adjusting the filters for more options until I was at the point of tears. I couldn’t believe how hard this coding thing was! So much for it being fun because I was having such a stressful time. I just didn’t get it. What did any of these numbers and words have to do with a video game or app? I finally came across a simpler coding lesson where I was to create a flag. Still, it took me a while to get the hang of what I was to do but things got easier as I played with the buttons. I was able to incorporate my love of owls into my coding by creating a simple flag.

While the flag may look quite simple and plain, it’s heavily symbolic. Of course the owl represents an owl, but the pink is to show its beauty. The glossy feathers, it’s polished beak and overall cuteness makes the owl so lovable! The red of course if for blood. While the owl may appear to be harmless, it’s definitely a feisty creature. Small and furry on the outside but wise and defensive on the inside. Like me, never mess with an owl! Thin blue lines on the side of my flag are to represent icicles. Beautiful frozen water droplets found in cold weather where the snowy owl lives. Finally, the purple background is symbolic for the night. The time of day an owl loves best.

Coding a flag isn’t as easy as it looks and I think after this experience, I’d rather just draw a flag. Comment down below what you prefer to do. Draw or code a flag?

One thought on “The Code of Code💻

1. Hi, Kiera!
    I love the flag you created with code!
    I’m with you – I’d rather just draw a flag.
    Mrs. Wohlafka
    Commenter