Rejoice and Reflect Because it’s Over!

It’s finally time! The 2018 Edublogs Blogging Challenge is over. This means it’s time to review everything that I’ve learned from this experience. It’s time to rejoice and reflect!

This was my very first time participating in this annual blogging challenge and I have to say, it wasn’t at all what I expected it to be. While I was picturing more of a competitive atmosphere, this challenge was really just a chance for people of all ages around the world to learn about other cultures, religions, people and interests. It was amazing to be able to read all these amazing blogs from all over the world! Some of which were quite similar to mine in design, style or interest, but others were very different then what I’d ever think of. It was incredible to see how one could express themselves through nothing more than a webpage!

The Edublogs Challenge also allowed me to see how my peers and friends interpreted the challenge in their own unique way. Each week had multiple tasks that we could choose from and even if each person chose the same task, everyone’s blogs would still reflect them and their personalities. Below, I’ve linked each of my classmates names to my favourite post they’ve written for this challenge. While there are so many of us, I encourage you to have a quick look at a few and try to guess what that person may be like in real life.

Ive written each of the names using the person’s nickname that I gave them (I’m a huge nickname fan!)

Millie

Lia

Marshmallow Puppy

Curly Whirly

Frasie Daisy

JJ Bean

Floe

Jojo

Tay Tay

Izzy

Dandar

Lululemon

Emmy

Sam-Wise

Nikki

Lady Aedy

Annie

Luch

Alex

Now for a very brief and quick recap of this very long, fun and intense 10 week challenge. Each week had a variety of activities we could choose from and required our own personal touch and creativity to complete it.

Week 1: About me & Introductions

This was my first ever activity for the Edublogs Challenge. This task was quite simple and only required us to create an « about me » page on my blog. Fortunately for me, I had already previously done this during school and only had to update the page and submit it. Very fast and simple!

Week 2: Commenting

For this week’s task, I had to create either a poster or infographic about commenting and how to write a constructive, kind and helpful comment on someone’s blog. To show off our new skills, I then commented on a number of people’s blogs.

Week 3: Images

How often do you use images for blogging or for work purposes? In this activity, we had to create a poster or infographic about proper image use. This means using non copyright images and how best to find them. I created an acrostic poem with the word « IMAGES » to write an educational poem about different ways of finding or creating non copyrighted images and photos.

Week 4: Emojis

Probably my favourite challenge! For week three, I had to use my creative and artistic thinking to create some kind of art or game using emojis. This was a fun experience and I really got to show my personality through this challenge as of course, I made a ballerina emoji!

Week 5: Similarities&Differences

After focusing on ourselves and what our interests were, this challenge was mainly about other people and cultures. Each person participating in this challenge took a quick survey about different things the liked. Then, it was our turn to create one! I made a slideshow with a few images. These were of objects to create a “this or that” game. I also made a survey using google forms! Click on the link to my post to try it out for yourself!

Week 6: Science

For this challenge, we were allowed to write about anything that was related to science. Perhaps it was a question we had or a topic we were interested in. For me, I wrote about my love for owls and how they fly so silently compared to other birds. To learn more, please click on the link to my post! I am also so proud to say that this post made it into the Edublogs flip board!

Week 7: Free Choice!

Free Choice meant we could write about whatever we wanted! It could be about an event we went to, a special place or vacation or perhaps about a person or object that’s important to you. So, for this week’s challenge, I wrote about something almost every dancer looks towards during this particular time of year, the Nutcracker! This is a very popular ballet around the holidays and includes bright costumes and an amazing story! Read more about the Nutcracker Ballet by clicking the link above.

Week 8: Celebrations&Festivities

For this activity I wrote about my post about a special ornament in my life. To accompany this, I paired up with Jordyn to create a DIY ornament video. This was so much fun to make and do and I’d love for you to click the link above to watch it!

Week 9: Coding

The task for week nine was probably the hardest for me. One of my biggest weaknesses is coding. I just was never able to understand how it works or why someone would devote their life to coding and typing numbers and letters onto a screen. Nowadays, most coding is done for us and anyone can launch their own website within minutes. While this task was not the most fun for me, many of my classmates found it rather enjoyable. I’m happy to say though, that after a few days of procrastination, I completed the task and received my coding certificate!

One thought on “Rejoice and Reflect Because it’s Over!