lauren.

Destination Imagination Part 1

The first half of Destination Imagination is done. If you haven’t been here for a while, I have done DI only once before, last year, and I was on the improv team. Being on the improv team, we didn’t have to create and prepare a performance, because we only knew what we were doing the the actual event.

This year, I chose to do the fine arts challenge. Here is a video to help you understand what our challenge was.

This challenge required a lot of work, because we had to make and enter musical with songs written by us.

The reason I chose to do the fine arts challenge was because I wanted to step outside of my comfort zone, and try something I have never done before.

Once I picked which challenge I wanted to do, it was time to see who was in my group. My group consisted of Melanie, Maggie, Jessie, Tamara, Alivia, and me, of course. This group was an all girls group, which was fun, however, for most of my projects this year, I have been in all girl groups, and it would have been nice to have a change.

Getting started was a bit rough, because we had to come up with an idea for out musical, and it had to include a change of plans and a set change. We had absolutely no clue what to do, until we did an instant challenge in class. We did an instant challenge about being lost on an island, and that sparked an idea to make a musical about finding a hidden gem in an abandoned island. We figured that it might be hard to do a set change for that, so we decided to branch off of that idea.

After a long process of coming up with new ideas, we ended up with the idea to make the musical about a group of kids at a camp, looking for a sacred gem in a cave. For the the change of plans, we were originally going to have there be a gate keeper to the cave that the gems were in. We still had the gatekeeper, but that ended up not being our change of plans, and I’ll get back to that.

At first, we were going to have a rotating set, but that was not working at all, and it also broke. So, we decided to have a regular set, and have a cave fall down and appear, and that sparked our idea to have the cave disappear be our change of plans, which is what it is now.

After we had everything figured out, it was time to rehearse our presentation a BUNCH. We did 2 dress rehearsals and they both went pretty well! The first one was a bit bumpy, but we did manage to stay in the time limit, and our songs were completed. For the second dress rehearsal, we got to use our new disappearing act, with the new cave. That dress rehearsal went even better than the first, and now it was time to go to the actual event.

The event this year was held at Seycove Secondary, my school! It was great that it was being held there, because that meant we didn’t have to bring all of out stuff to another school. However, provincials will be held in Surrey, which means we have to bring our set and props all the way there.

At the actual event, our performance went amazing! Most of the the things worked, except for the set, which counted for a lot of points. The set would not fall down, and it started to break. To fix this, we just tried to roll it down ourselves, and then let it fall. Most of the viewers said that they didn’t notice, and that it looked alright, but we thought it could have been so much better if it had worked.

If you would like to see my full performance, here it is…

We did get in second place, and we are excited to go to provincials. I am so proud if my team for doing such a good job.

To prepare for provincials, we decided to use a more sturdy and easier set, and one that will be easy for transportation. We decided we are going to build a folding set, that folds like a story book, and the cave will still roll down like it was supposed to.

I am excited to see what provincials brings us!

laurenf • March 13, 2018