lauren.

Polynomials math project

The school year is almost done, which means we just finished a project, just in time for one last one before school ends! This math project was based around polynomials, but this project was different from the rest. This project, we got to choose what we wanted to do, and how we wanted to do it. However, we didn’t get to choose who we did it with, which isn’t a good thing nor a bad thing. For this blogpost, i am going to break down each step we took to the final product. 

To start of this unit, we of course had to learn what a polynomial is. Instead if doing a long explanation of what it is, I’ll just do a quick little overview so you can get the idea. 

When you’re working with polynomials, there could be some terms that look similar. Those are called like terms. Like terms are terms in a polynomial that has the same variable and/or degree. If you have a long or complcated polynomial, you’re can collect the like terms, and combine them so the equation is smaller and easier to understand.

After we learned the basics of polynomials, it was time to start the project. For this project, I was partnered with Lucas. We based our project around music, and how polynomials could be found in notes or frequencies. 

For our project, we found 3 songs, and found the most common notes in the song. After that, we created an equation with the notes, and found the like terms, and combined them. Combining like terms is finding terms in a polynomial with the same variable and degree. It may snot undo confusing what we were doing with the sing, so let me show an example. 

Heres our finished research and project!

Polynomials Project

In this project, we also used the core competencies. The core competencies are sommunication, thinking, and personal, cultural, and social. In this project we used the thinking competency. We had to think about what direction we were going to go in music. We also had to figure out where we could find polynomials in music.

Using those core competencies really helped with my project. This project thought me many things, including learning how to work with someone I never have and also many more things, including time management. I am very glad that i had the opportunity to go out of my comfort zone, and work in a different way then I normally do.

This project was very interesting, and it was fun to get to choose a topic i was interested in. We have one more unit to cover before the end of the year, and then it’s summer!!

laurenf • May 15, 2018