The Importance of Deep Thought

The world is filled with quick short attention tasks. Whether it is scrolling through an Instagram feed or a youtube video, they provide you with a surface level stimulus. For those who look to challenge their minds, you must look at other texts.

“Literature is an expression of society just like the word is the expression of a human being”

Louis Gabriel Ambroise

Classic literature provides a richer intellectual experience than any youtube video could leave you with. Quality stories leave their readers thinking about the themes discussed long after they finish reading. Exceptional literature forces me into deep thought that challenges my morals and innermost convictions help shape who I am as a person.

The era of short attention span activities doesn’t fulfill the human need to question and to have deep and profound thought.

In a writing piece, I reflected on a piece of classic literature. I ended up choosing the Lord of the Flies which I read during my Tribalism unit last year. Its discussions with themes like loss of innocence and civilization vs. savagery have stuck with me. In my writing piece, I spoke of how these discussions about those themes are universal in their value. No matter who you are the thought of kids committing such heinous acts of savagery gives you the pause to think of what you are capable of.

The idea that innocent people could be capable of such evils is one that many people choose to ignore.

Literature is one of the few texts that can tell stories of such meaning and substance. The tales told in classic literature frame the way we view society. I enjoy the thought-provoking stories that the greatest books tell because it helps me build a wider perspective. If I was to not read and think of these lessons I would become stagnant and ignorant.

One thought on “The Importance of Deep Thought