For the past month my grade 8 humanities class has been focusing on the medium vs the message. This project felt like it was never going to end but thankfully it did not too long ago. As you know we went to Oregon for a field study and learnt more about how the medium and the message influences us. For starters, you may not know what medium means, and no it’s not the size. I can’t blame you for not knowing because quite frankly, I didn’t either. The word medium is the singular version of media and when I found this out I knew I had a lot of learning to do. Anyways, enough with that, the whole point of this project was to understand and explain how what we see, hear and read influences us. We completed six milestones and a number of stepping stones along the way, these helped me build my knowledge that will now help me in the long run.Β Β 

The milestone to kick us off was called, The Welcome Home Dissection. Even though this was a very little assignment it probably helped me the most. You may be thinking, what is β€œwelcome home”, it is a four minute long Apple advertisement released in 2018 showing of the new HomePod. For this task we had to break down what was going on in the ad and how they are using their message to influence the viewer. This was our first assignment so I didn’t really know what I was doing and how I was going to apply the criteria to my paragraph. I struggled at times and didn’t know what to do but I managed to persevere and finish. A few days later I received a grade and lets just say, it wasn’t great. Even though I didn’t get the mark I wanted to I knew there were going to be more times where I can show this skill.Β 

The Apple advertisement β€œWelcome Home” is very unique and complex which makes it vastly pleasing to the eye. The advertisement is about a woman getting home from work in a bad mood and asks her Apple HomePod to play her something she’d like, the music comes on and she starts feeling better. As the music is playing FKA Twigs (the woman) starts dancing around her apartment in a weird way, extending her walls and table as well as making a rainbow corridor out of her wall. This part of the video lightens up the mood and changes from a dark and sad video to one full of joy, and that’s what I think the point of this ad is, to make you feel like the HomePod can change your feelings. Even though this advertisement only shows the product their advertising twice its still is clear that the HomePod is what makes the ad work and make you feel so good. The reason I think this is ad is so good is because it is showing that a little device can change your view on life and make it better for you. It also shows that you are the only one stopping you from doing what you want.

The second milestone was probably the one I hated the most. We were asked to complete a survey that had the following questions.

Do you collect any ads or advertising products?

Do you have any clothing with a visible designer logo?

Have you ever bought any products based solely on their advertising?

Have you ever not bought any products based solely on their advertising?

After we answered the questions for ourselves we needed to ask somebody in an older demographic the exact same questions. Once both surveys we completed, we had one task left. This was the hardest part. We needed to write a paragraph that explains how the two sets of answers demonstrate a difference in historical perspective. After doing that milestone two was complete, and I was much happier than I needed to be. I don’t know what it was about this that made me hate it but I wasn’t going to give up right away so I kept a growth mindset and somehow finished it and got a decent mark. I think I could have done a better job on this if I surveyed somebody two generations ahead of me instead of one because the differences weren’t big enough.Β 

Advertising in the 1970s is quite a bit different than it is today. In the 1970s and 80s the most common thing advertised was cigarettes and women were always featured, the ads were also browny coloured and dull. The ads shown today are way more eye catching due to there bright and vibrant colours and now they use all different types of people. The ways that advertising is shown in the 1980s was not at all like today. They didn’t have internet in the early 1980s so they most common way to see advertisements were on TV or on billboards and sometimes in magazines. Nowadays ads are everywhere you go, YouTube and other social media, TV, websites and many more places. Some of the most common ads shown are by Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Gap and other clothing brands. 45 years ago clothing ads were shown but they were much different than today, back then they used women do show off the clothes and they thought it would attract attention. Now clothing brands use every race, religion, gender and age to show off their latest product. The clothes my dad wore as a teenager were kind of similar to what teenaged boys wear today, track pants and a sweater or t shirt. My dads demographic is way different than mine, companies that want to advertise to him are insurance companies and things like that but companies that target the teen demographic are Disney and video game companies. Advertising has drastically changed over the years and some would say its better but some would disagree. Do you collect any ads or advertising products? I do not collect any advertising products anymore but I used to when I was about 10 years old. I used to collect bottle caps from beer cans and put them in a bag just to keep and do nothing with them. I would get the caps from my dads beers or I would find them on the ground and pick them up. Do you have any clothing with a visible designer name? Yes, I have multiple t-shirts and hoodies with the brand name showing. The piece of clothing that I own that has the most visible branding on it is my Vans hoodie. It is a grey sweater with a big text that says β€œVans” in camo. Do you have any clothing with a visible designer logo? Yes, I have even more articles of clothing with a visible logo on them. Almost all of my clothes have some sort of logo that is visible and they are all pretty easy to tell what brand the are. Normally I buy clothing for the looks and I don’t care that much about the brand but occasionally I will purchase something because I think the brand is cool. Have you ever bought any products based solely on advertising? I haven’t bought any clothes based on the advertisement but I have bought drinks from Tim Hortons from the advertising. The drink I bought was a β€œCreamy Chocolate Chill” and the reason I bought it was it looked really tasty and it was exactly what I needed. The only times I would buy items just based on the advertising would be if I had no idea what I was looking for and I would see a pop up ad showing their product. Have you ever not bought products specifically based on advertising? Once again, I haven’t purchase any clothes due to bad advertising but an ad has made me turn down a drink. The drink was an orange juice from Orange Julius and I didn’t buy it because it was showing the freshly squeezed orange and all the pulp going into the drink. Most people would think that would be good but I don’t really like pulp in drinks so unfortunately I didn’t get it. List the places where you think you see advertising on a daily basis: I think you see advertising almost everywhere nowadays but the places I see it the most are YouTube and Instagram. I see it the most here because I am always on it so I realize it more and a lot of people go on social media so many people would see your product and it would get more people interested. Mike, dad Do you collect any ads or advertising products? Yes, I have stickers on my mountain bike advertising specific brands. Some stickers are company names or logos or a combination of both. Also we are a rolling advertisement for Troy Lee Designs. Do you have any clothing with a visible designer name? I used to only wear designer labels. Some brands I wore were Kappa, Ellesse, Fila, and Sergio Tacchini, I was particularly fond of Italian casual sportswear. Now I don’t wear flashy stuff but I still like nice clothes but I’m not a walking advertisement. Do you have any clothing with a visible designer logo? Yes, similar to the last question I used to wear brands that have visible logos but now I wear more simple stuff. I mostly wear jeans and button up shirt but occasionally I wear comfortable clothing such as Nike and Adidas which have visible logos. Have you ever bought any products based solely on advertising? Yes, I have seen many items and think β€œI give that a try” but I cannot remember what and where. Have you ever not bought products specifically based on advertising? Sometimes I see an advertisement on TV that is played multiple times and I specifically do not buy it because of how fed up I am of it. I wont buy a Chevrolet because they sponsor Manchester United which are my favourite club’s rivals. Normally I buy they same stuff because I like it and not change what is already good. List the places where you think you see advertising on a daily basis: I see advertising pretty much everywhere I go nowadays. The main places is see advertising is on TV and the billboards near my work and I will also get pop up ads on the websites I use. When I was a kid it the advertising was quite a bit different, I would only see it in magazines, billboards and TV but we had no internet so YouTube and all social media wasn’t a thing.

Milestone three was next and it didn’t help me at all. Actually that is a lie, it helped me be grumpy in the morning because I was up until 12:30 am working on it. This milestone was about completing a chart about ads using Pathos, Logos and Ethos, but we don’t need to get deeper into my chart but we can talk and explain what Pathos, Logos and Ethos is. Basically, Pathos, Logos and Ethos are techniques used in all sorts of advertising. What I think is the most common technique used is pathos, pathos is an appeal to you emotionally, some ways that pathos is used are by mentioning kids, most people when the see kids in advertising think it is cute and generally want to buy the product more. Ethos is an appeal to credibility and logos appeals to your sense of logic.Β 

Milestone four was a big one. We needed to reflect on the book we had been reading for the last three weeks, and that was… The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch. Personally, I’m not much of a reader and I really learnt that during this project. I was reading each weeks section on the last day and it was not a smart idea. I kept on putting it off until Wednesday night quickly appeared. Once I finally managed to finish the book, yep, you guessed it, I needed to write a paragraph. This time we knew more about advertising so it was a little easier but the expectations were higher. The point of the paragraph was to show how we can understand how the media was effecting Miles’ life and how we can relate it do ourselves. Once that was out of the way I felt good about myself and I knew if was growing.Β 

In the Highest Tide by Jim Lynch, the plot helped Miles get exposure by making his finds and discoveries public. At the beginning of the novel Miles O’Malley went out to Skookumchuck Bay to relax but out of nowhere he found a giant squid washed up on shore that he said was alive. He called Professor Kramer to come examine it but unfortunately at that point he told Miles that it was as dead as it was going to get. News vans started rolling in and asking Professor Kramer all about the squid and he told them that it was Miles’ find. This was Miles’ first taste at attention and popularity by news channels and unsurprisingly he didn’t really know how do act. Miles said one thing that the news channels loved and were going to use in the long term, β€œMaybe the Earth is trying to tell us something.” After that encountering Miles has been getting more and more attention by news channels and is getting more used to it, his second find was a rag fish, this caught attention by a lady and wanted to chat with him. Miles was a bit confused because the lady was looking all over his house and wanting his parents phone numbers, the lady was going to write a story about a boy who keeps on finding things and Miles liked that, he really like that. Finally, Miles gets his biggest shot of popularity yet, Channel 7 asks to interview him. Channel 7 is a Seattle based news network and when Miles gets a chance to talk to them he will be on television in Seattle where all of there people will see little Miles O’Malley explaining his extraordinary finds. He said it creeped him out that all of those eyeballs will be focused on him and his bay but that is what you feel when you are on television. Miles learnt a lot about the news stations and even about himself. He learnt how to cope with all of the popularity and grew from a little shy boy into a willing young man. I think Miles had a good adventure through the news and what it has to offer and it has shaped him into a better kid.

We have now read all of the information we needed to create our final project, making our own advertisement. We were assigned groups of four, my group consisted of Amy, Nate, and Keenan. From there we had to choose a local Deep Cove business to interview and create an ad for. After a lot of contemplating we decided A’Hoy was going to be our best bet. After a lot of research on the company, we needed to set up a time that we could interview the manager. We worked interdependently to come up with questions that would help us make our ads better and get more knowledge. Some of the questions we asked were,

How do you currently advertise?

What do you look for in an advertisement?

What product would you want to be advertised?

What is your best seller?

What demographic do you appeal to?

Is there a certain theme you stick to?

After our long discussion we took all of our information and created an advertisement. I had never made an ad before so I was lost, I didn’t know what to do or what I was doing wrong, all I knew was it what I created was really ugly. I knew I needed to revise it so that is what I did. After 20 minutes of fixing I got to something that I thought kind of worked. We did some peer critique and it really helped me. I received one piece of positive feedback, one piece of negative feedback, and one piece of unusual feedback.

β€œI really like the photo and how you put an address and a link”

β€œMaybe move the β€œA’Hoy” over to the left a bit because you can’t fully se the β€œy”. I really like the colour though”

β€œWhat exactly do they sell”

I took my peers advice and edited my ad, I made many more revisions and changes until I got to the final product. Here are my Deep Cove ads.

• Draft 1

• Draft 2

• Draft 3

• Draft 4

Now we had some practice, we headed down to Oregon and did the same thing. This time we didn’t get to choose our business but I got lucky and got High Life Adventures. This is a really cool zip-line park with a unique line that goes over a lake. After having lots of fun, we needed to interview them. We asked very similar questions to last time, but they were now a bit more direct to High Life Adventures. Once again we made multiple drafts and instead of peer review, we did teacher review. My ad got very harsh but helpful feedback, it was exactly what I needed. I made very many revisions but they were all little changes. Here are my Oregon ads.

• Draft 1

• Draft 2

• Draft 3

• Draft 4

• Draft 5

Let’s go back to the driving question I mentioned at the beginning. How does what we hear, read and see influence us. It is now time to answer that. This question isn’t very easy to answer but I guess that’s the whole point. When you hear this question the first thing you think about is advertising. You are right about that, if you see a very convincing ad you will think about buying it and there you go, you have been influenced by an ad. It’s not just ads though, you can also read things like people opinions on something and that might help you decide on buying a certain product. All of these things will help you make a conclusion on something, but you can also just go with your own opinion and that is totally fine.Β 

Now that we have finished our advertising unit, we move on. This project has taught me a lot about the outside world and even myself, it has been a journey that I am glad a took.Β