One and a half months ago we started learning about Light and the Pythagorean theorem followed by the driving question “how are the side lengths of right angles triangles related to each other.” We have just finished with much more knowledge, understanding, and ability to comprehend the topic while still doing it in a fun way.

We have been assessed on three different competencies, communicating and representing, applying and innovating, and questioning and predicting.

I have shown my ability in the communicating competency by effectively calculating the sides of triangles using the Pythagorean theorem. We took our time getting the exact measurements so our laser maze was symmetrical and looked proper.

I have developed an understanding in the applying and innovating competency by co-operatively designing a laser triangle in a interesting method. Julien, Keenan and I have contributed equally in our own ways to come up with the end product of the republic star destroyer. This forced use to work interdependently and connect all of our ideas so they could be one

The big idea for this project was “light energy can be transferred as both a particle and a wave.” We have used the law of reflection to build a laser path that bounces one lasers off two different mirrors to eventually get it reflecting the way you want, while figuring out how to make it in a right angle triangle shape. 

I have improved my questioning and predicting competency quite significantly by showing deep interest in the topic. I kept on thinking what would happen if I did this or how would it effect the other parts we have build, one thing that I found very fascinating was the fact that you can figure out the third side of a triangle if you already have two using the formula “a² + b² = c².”

Spray Painting the Ship

Hand Painting the Ship

I went in to this project without knowing much and I’ve come out as a different learner with a much better grasp of the subject and appreciation for the topics studied. I have learnt a lot about how my brain functions and what sorts of areas I enjoy learning about, the past month and a half has been joyous with lots of information and pleasure to finally finish what we call “Mazer Tag