New Mexico!

Hello blog! Been a while. I’m back with a post about the trip I went on a little while ago, all the way down in New Mexico! This trip was a history based field study, but there was just as much fun as learning.

This post will be focused on the stuff we don’t normally talk about too much when it comes to field studies, which is exciting! Let’s get right into it.

What did we do?

Replica of the Plutonium in an Atomic Bomb!

Before I get into the behind the scenes of the trip, let me tell you a little bit about the trip. Our main focus was the Manhattan Project, so we went to places like Los Alamos, the Trinity Site, multiple nuclear history museums, and many more amazing places with amazing opportunities. For the arts/culture side of it, we went to Meow Wolf, and the spectacular International Balloon Fiesta! 

All photo and video on this post are taken by me!

The Behind the Scenes!

We’ve been asked to discuss this driving question,

“How did you think flexibly to create, imagine, and innovate while taking responsible risks to complete your project and enjoy yourself?”

Which I think is a great question as it’s a side of Field Studies we don’t necessarily focus on normally. I’m going to go through a few examples that I think highlight this driving question for me personally. 

THE INTERVIEWS

Interviewing has always been something that F R E A K S me out. It’s known by everyone in my class and we are all used to it. I’ve always gotten over my fear enough to conduct about 1-2 interviews a trip, but I never enjoyed it. I normally discuss this topic in all my field study blog posts as its a reoccurring issue but something changed this trip. This trip, I took responsible risks (risks for me at least!) by asking for more interviews than I necessarily needed. I recorded 3 interviews for my project, but talked to many more people than this, for the only reason of getting over this fear.

It isn’t the actual recording or interviewing part that freaks me out, its the fear of going up to someone I’ve never met and hoping they are open to me talking to me/record them. So, this trip I thought long and hard about these fears and decided they weren’t going to hold back the knowledge I could be learning by talking to people on this trip. This was a ONCE in a lifetime trip, so why not take advantage of that and learn as much as I can?

So, why is this important you ask? By the middle of the trip, I actually started enjoying talking to random people. It went from being a scary chore I needed to do for my project, to an enjoyable conversation. I started looking at it in a new perspective and focused on the fact these people WANT to talk to us, and WANT to share what they know. They have so much knowledge that I don’t have, its self  sabotaging to not talk to them, just because I’m scared. I’m very proud of these interviews as it is a artifact of my growth and overcoming fear. 

THE VIDEO 

Every trip I always take lots of videos, but never really do anything with them. But, it was different this trip. I wanted to create more than just the assigned project. So, I took videos of everything I could. It isn’t a factual video focused on the Manhattan Project, its more on the activities, and the people who participated. I wanted to highlight my favourite part of the trips, but… with a little history in it.

The beginning of the video is the intro of a song that samples Oppenheimer’s famous speech titled “The Decision to Drop the Bomb.” I wasn’t going to add anything history based into the short video, but this speech was constantly running through my head no matter what we were doing so I felt I needed to include it. The thing that fascinates me the most about the whole Manhattan project is the decision to drop it, and the impacts, which is what the speech is about. So, heres the video. It’s short, but thats just my personal editing style when its not a school project video! 

OVERALL

I felt a strong sense of creativity, curiosity, and joy during this trip and I hope my photos and videos highlight that. I was proud of myself this trip for not letting my fears take over, and for the fact I could run on little sleep and still pay attention and enjoy the days! I also am glad I took so many photos and videos, as that’s my passion when it comes to these trips. For the next trip I would like to focus a little more on the prep pre-trip as I felt my prep was weak. It all ended up working out, but I think a little more preparation would have helped me out a little more.

Thanks to the teachers for planning and taking us on this trip, it was genuinely mind blowing.

Job Shadow Time!

Ah my time has come for the classic job shadow project! I took part in this a few weeks ago. When I was first assigned a job shadow I instantly thought of what I wanted to do. Job shadow a photographer! This is a job I think about often for my future, but never know if I actually want to pursue it. This comes from fear of doing a job that isn’t a basic job like a doctor, teacher, engineer, etc. Being a photographer often comes along with running mostly everything yourself which is the opposite normal jobs, where you have people working for you or you’re working for people.So, I contacted Sherri Koop! Sherri is a Portrait Photographer who gets hired to take pictures of families, events, and individual headshots. I have always wanted to see what a day in the life as a photographer is, so I was really excited to do this. Here is some of her work.

Sherri’s Book!!!

I personally love taking photos of people, so Sherri has always been a strong inspiration for me and my photography. Sherri has taken many photos of my family and I though out the years and I have always wondered how she gets amazing photos every time, so I knew I had to do her for the job shadow.

THE DAY!

After contacting and talking with Sherri, she let me know we were doing a shoot with the lovely ladies and gentlemen that work with Selema Noon! I was excited but nervous as we all know I get scared of talking to new people, but it was all good once we were there. Sherri took photos from 9:30-12:00, and I had the job of holding the reflector. A lot of the time using a reflector isn’t necessary if the lighting is good, but this day the sun was out so I was basically a sun blocker! It felt nice having a small job to do, and it also meant I was standing basically in the photo hearing everything Sherri was directing people to do, and seeing how she does her job.

I genuinely enjoyed every minute of it and tried to soak up as information as I could!

WHAT DID I LEARN?

I was really interested prior to the shoot on how Sherri directs the people in the photos. Every. Single. Photo. That Ive seen of Sherri’s, the people look beautiful. No matter age, hair color, clothing they are wearing, or gender, everyone looks amazing in her pictures. This is really important as people are paying her for photos, and they should like how they look in them. So, I payed attention to the details. I noticed that things like the slightest lean forward, or opening of the eyes makes or breaks a photo. Small things like that are so important!

A big thing that Sherri taught me is that photography isn’t just about charging a cost for the photo, its also for the time connected to taking and editing it, and what they are going to use the photos for. There is so much stuff behind the cost and usages of photos, it blew my mind. I never thought about this as you just assume costs are for someone actually taking the photo, but that’s only one part of it.

I also payed attention to how long and how she got through such a large group of people. I thought taking a good photo of one person would take a while, but she had a strategic way of getting through over like 10 people in under 3 hours! Amazing.

SHERRIS POV

I asked Sherri some questions about being a photographer, and here are her answers.

Q: What classes/schools/programs did you take that helped you get where you are now? 

A: This is not a simple answer! My interest in photography began in elementary school and then kick-started when I took a photography class in high school.  From there, my post secondary education took me in the direction of music.  Once I landed my first “real job” I started night classes to become an accountant, thinking this would provide me with the most stable future.  Fast forward many years, I was working in senior management in telecommunications and enrolled in the Langara Professional Imaging Program, taking night classes to feed my need for something creative.  I worked on the weekends to build my portfolio while exploring the idea of leaving my day job.  When I decided to leave the corporate world, I applied for and received a small business government grant.  This grant gave me 9 months to write and deliver a comprehensive business plan.  The culmination of all these things helped me launch my business and ultimately get me to where I am today.  The moral of the story is, work hard and move in the direction of doing something that fuels your passion.

Q: What’s the best part about your job?

A: The best part of my job is that I am doing something I love to do.  This is extremely fulfilling.  I have also met and photographed some incredible people along the way.  Human connection is what inspires me more than anything else and human connection is also necessary for a good portrait, so I consider myself very fortunate to be doing what I do.

Q: What’s the worst part about your job?

Sherri’s website! Linked in beginning of post

A: What I like least about my job is having to do the tasks necessary in order to run a successful business.  This includes things like bookkeeping, taxes, writing quotes and contracts, organizing files, editing, and marketing.  I am happiest when I am out in the field doing what I love – making photographs.  I could do without the rest, although without the rest, I wouldn’t have a business.

Q: What’s the typical schedule/work hours for your job?

A: As a freelancer, there is no typical schedule/work hours which is both a blessing and a curse.  I love the flexibility and freedom although at times I do wish I had a more structured and predictable work schedule

Q: What inspired you to become a photographer?

A: One of my instructors at Langara really inspired me to create meaningful work which ultimately ignited a passion in me to become a full-time freelancer.  I also realized after many years in the corporate world, that I wanted a career that was more personally fulfilling.

MOVING ON…

Sherri gave me an amazing experience this day, and I am so grateful for it. This really helped me clarify or replace my assumptions having to do with portrait photography, and showed me its even more amazing than I thought. This whole blog post is a big reflection on this day, and I’m happy it was an assignment because I most likely wouldn’t have had this experience without it. I loved this project and I wish I could thank Sherri 100 more times! Thank you Sherri!!!!!!

Circle Around BC!

Welcome! This blog post is about the Circle Around BC trip I took a part of in may! We went into this trip knowing the driving question, “How can you convince your neighbor that their life is not complete until they’ve experienced what you’ve experienced.” So, as someone who hasn’t explored much of BC besides south east areas like Nelson, I was very excited to do a circle around a very historically important area. We created many artifacts from the trip, but first I’m going to give you a run down on the trip, then dive into the Exhibition and Podcast!

THE ACTUAL CIRCLE

The actual route of the trip!

As you can see on this map here we started from Vancouver, went up Cariboo road, stopped at Prince George, drove up to Nass Valley, then to Prince Rupert and took a long ferry ride to Vancouver island which we then travelled back to North Vancouver from. It was a two week trip and was genuinely an amazing experience. I can’t break down these 2 weeks in a section of a blog post, so I’m going to talk about some of the biggest learning experiences and turning points in my learning.

PORT OF PRINCE RUPERT: Being honest, I was not excited to go to this because I was like eh, boring port stuff… But I remembered to how we needed to keep our minds open to all new information during the trip so I went ready to learn. I was beyond surprised to how interesting and amazing the story of the port is. The people working there talked a lot about trade and that’s really what interested me. They discussed the trade going on now, and the trade in First Nations. I then realized that trade was everywhere on this trip. This port brought together all my ideas into something I was happy with which ended up being my topic for the podcast and exhibition! Ill explain all of this more in detail in the exhibition part of this post. 

BARKERVILLE: This part of the trip stood out for me because we basically lived in the 1800s for 2 days. Besides having iPads/phones and being dressed like 2019 teenagers, the experience was very authentic. From the skits that were preformed, the buildings, and actors working there, it felt like I went back in time. I don’t know any time in my life where I’ve done something like this. We were immersed into the gold rush and it felt like we were there. I’d recommend this to anyone learning about the 1800s in BC! 

NASS VALLEY: When people ask me what the most beautiful part of the trip was, I tell them Nas Valley. This is where the Nisga’a people live and thrive. They have a treaty signed with the government that lets them have their own government and control over the area. The community and culture in Nas Valley is just as beautiful as the mountains, water, and volcanic rock! This was the first time I’d been in an area this large with mostly only First Nations living there, and it was amazing. If you’re ever near Nisga’a, do stop and take a look at there wonderful area!

Beside some specific places, the overall trip opened my eyes to lots of the perspectives in British Columbia that I wouldn’t have heard in just Vancouver. BC has so many stories and culture intertwined in the trees, ground, ocean, and buildings, and not many people recognize that. From First Nations to now, there are thousands of stories of BC that people need to hear. That’s why we created the podcasts and exhibition to open the eyes of BC to everyone and inspire them to take a deeper look at our province. 

THE PODCAST

My podcast script outline!

This was a smaller assignment in this whole unit, but still very important. This was the first step to our exhibition project. The goal for this podcast was to tell the story of how you came to the conclusion you did. For mine, it’s the story of trade in B.C, and how important trade is to B.C.I  noticed this throughout all 3 phases of the trip, and took note of all of it. Going back to the driving question, I needed to share with my neighbors on how important trade is to B.C. We all live life in B.C. doing our own thing but never think about how we live and how our province is thriving. It’s because of trade. Trade isn’t just a simple thing that happens at ports, it has stories and thousands of years connected to it. Trade doesn’t just happen in B.C. it IS B.C! In this podcast I explain how I came to realize this. 

The podcast surprised me. I was quite happy with it and felt lost on where to revise, but after long conversations with the teachers I knew where I had to fix things. This whole overall podcast taught me that even if you feel something is great, that’s not going to be what everyone else thinks all the time, and that’s ok! It’s about taking the surprised-ness, and working even harder to make it better.

THE EXHIBITION 

The exhibition night! For my project I painted a map of B.C. and all of the trade routes we saw on the trip. It is split it up into 3 time periods which also represent the phases of our trip. 8000 BC – 1700s (First Nations.) 1700s-1950s (Fur Trade, Gold Rush.) 1950s-2019 (Ports in our Province.) These titles are really important as they are what makes the map make sense. I made this as a visual representation of all the notes I took on the trip of the trade routes I saw.

There are so many more trade routes in B.C. but these are the specific ones I myself took note of at museums, by asking questions, and just looking around! I had fun explaining my project to people who asked about it, as not many people know much about B.C. besides Vancouver!!! 

I’m really happy with how my artifact came out, and how the overall room ended up looking. Everyone in the class was very passionate about their topics and this exhibition which made the overall experience a lot better. We came to creating our artifacts using the launch cycle which was helpful on organizing our ideas! It also makes the reflecting process easier as It can show you where you succeed and failed. I think I did well in creating a creative visual representation of my answer to the driving question and I’m proud of myself. 

The exhibition luckily all came together, but I definitely did do it pretty last minute. While this is ok as I’m happy with the end product, I wish I had started actually building and painting earlier. Beside my own procrastination, I felt the launch cycle slowed me down a little. I found myself wanted to skip steps as I didn’t feel they were important, but I didn’t as I know I’m being marked on the process of creating just as much as the end product.

I walked away from this exhibition with a deeper understanding and love for our home province British Columbia. Without being in PLP I wouldn’t have this. I have never met anyone who has explored B.C. as much as my class, and that’s not a good thing! People need to realize they don’t need to go to Europe or America to see new things, we have it right in our backyard. The culture and history is so deep and beautiful, and it deserves to be recognized just as much as places around the world. I genuinely am grateful I have heard so many stories  and facts about B.C. in during this unit, and that I learnt so much about trade. I’m proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone while choosing topics to focus on (trade.) I could have chosen something artistic or more creative, but I chose industry basically, which was really fun! I think it was definitely the passion I had for my topic which made my project and learning thrive.

3/5 of Highschool

Being honest, grade 10 was crazy. Crazy in a crazy way. Lots of ups and downs, and lots of new lessons being learned. I’m walking out of this year as a stronger student. So, what happened this year that makes me feel this way? 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST THING I TOOK AWAY FROM THIS YEAR? 

My goal since grade eight has been to find a balance between my school work and personal life. Every single presentation like this one I have mentioned that specific goal. This has been one of the most frustrating and confusing things I’ve dealt with. This year I started growing a better understanding on how to actually handle and achieve this goal which made solving it way simpler. So, what do I mean by all of this? 

A insert from my grade 9 goal!

I’ve been so stuck on this question I’ve made for myself about balance, I never thought deeply about what I’m actually asking from myself. I’d say PGP taught me this but it more inspired me to just THINK, I needed to think more. The task of making sure you have a perfectly balanced life is pretty impossible. Life, school, and everything else in between is unpredictable and completely unfair. But its okay! It’s not about making sure If perfectly balanced, its how you deal with the work when it comes to you. When things come at me in every which way, it’s about the mindset you’re in, organization you have, and your determination level. Once you’ve done that, it’s important to respect yourself when you’re working. The process of creating is just as important as the end product. This is where the balance comes in, if you get your work done in an enjoyable and stress free way, then the work side of life doesn’t feel so heavy. 

WHAT AM I PROUD OF AND WHY

I created quite a few artifacts this year that I’m really proud of but these 3 really stand out to me because they all remind me of important things. I think its important to look at your strengths just as much as things you should improve on as this creates a healthy perspective on yourself. Make sure you’re improving, but also reflect on the good and appreciate your hard work! At least for me!

OVERCOMING FEAR: WW2 podcast. As everyone knows, I strongly dislike interviewing people. It’s been something that has scared me since I can remember. I get this weird sick nervous feeing when I talk to new people, and it’s not something I can control, but it’s something I can fight. That’s why this project was a big milestone for me. Emily and I drove out to Port Moody to interview a WW2 veteran named Svend!

When we were assigned this I instantly was like yeah I’ll just get my other group members to do it, I’ll find a way out of it. But as the time to interview him came closer I became clearer than If I don’t go, we wont have an interview. So after many conversations with Ms. Maxwell and my mom, I decided to go. I was so nervous but I knew it would be ok, and it was. He was a lovely man and it was a great experience. The end product of this podcast is something I’m very proud of and I know I wouldn’t be happy with it If I hadn’t gone out of my comfort zone and done the interview. 

PERSISTENCE: Phone plan project: This project seemed pretty normal in the beginning but when I tell you I was wrong, I was so wrong. For some reason this math messed with my head and it took me weeks to understand it. Asking questions, revising, drafts, etc…. I spent quite a few nights trying to take all this data from real world situations and form in into a well made math project. I genuinely had never been prouder of myself once I presented my project and had done all the math correctly. I persevered and I never gave up even when I was confused and frustrated and that is why I’m proud of this project.

A DRIVE TO CREATE: Movie trailer: I talked about this project in my last MPOL, but I’m just going over it one more time because it genuinely is my favourite thing I’ve ever made. I went into this project with such a strong drive to create something I am happy with. I wrote the script, filmed, directed, and edited the whole trailer, and was totally happy with doing all of it. I felt in my element during this project and I think the director role in projects is somewhere where I thrive because I honestly enjoy what I’m doing. We also had a large amount of creative freedom which also contributes to the fact that I really enjoyed this project. I hope in the future I get to do more projects like this. 

GRADE 11 GOAL

Some photos from grade 10!

As PLP is only 2/8 of my classes next year, I need to make sure I take all the tools I learned in the last three years of PLP into regular classes like pre-calc, econ, and even things like art and yearbook! Just because I don’t have my PLP teachers making sure I’m getting where I want to go, doesn’t mean I can’t get the grades I want. I need to be my own PGP.  What I mean by that is, take the form we filled out in the beginning of the year of the grades we want and how we are going to get them for example.  I need to do that for my non PLP classes and I need to be the teacher in that situation making /sure I’m learning and achieving what my goal is. I need the PLP in me to stand out in all my classes. 

COMPARISON OF GRADE 8, 9, AND 10 ME.

Grade 10 grew me for the better, and I’m going to miss having most of my classes in PLP. 

The WinderWow!

Welcome to the world of the WinderWow! This is a product my friend and I created in science class. The goal of this project was to create something that generated energy from either water or wind. No solar panels, and no help from humans to create the energy. We created the WinderWow which is a mini wind mill that can charge up to 7 phones a day! So, heres the video we made to advertise our product!

THE VIDEO

MIND MAP!

Heres a classic science class mind map to show some things I learnt!

CURRICULAR COMPETENCIES!

This project was really challenging as our product had to go through many prototypes, and many revisions. Something I would fix if I was to revise this video would be to fix my wording from watts per day to watt hours because well… Watts per day and Watts per hour doesn’t exist! So, what am I proud of? This is where the circular competencies come in!

REASONING AND MODELLING: I had to thoroughly analyze and apply Scientific ideas to this project as thats what the whole goal if it is! I had to visualize my ideas and use everything I had to make them real. I went out of my comfort zone and came up with an idea (the model magic around the handle) that no one else had done and tested and revised it until it was good.

UNDERSTANDING AND SOLVING: To hand in a project that actually makes sense, I had to understand the science of the project. I did this through taking notes and questioning myself in the beginning of the unit. Here are some of my notes…

COMMUNICATING AND REPRESENTING: In the video we explain why we created the WinderWow, and why it’s important. Through advertising techniques we communicate the message we want to get through in the video! We use scientific vocabulary to make sure we can convince the buyers and our teacher!

CONNECTING AND REFLECTING: I engaged myself in the problem solving this project. An example is when our wind mill wouldn’t move because of the off balance centre, I started testing things we could do to fix it. I tried so many things but the thing that ended up working was adding weight on the end of 3/8 of the propellers!

Overall, this project was fun yet challenging and taught me a lot about something we see everyday, ENERGY!

A Letter To My Past Self

Hello! Welcome to my first and sadly last blog post about my Personal Growth Plan. This is a class I participated in this year! It focuses on productivity, the 7 habits of a highly effective teen,  and organization. It seemed a little intimidating at first but after 9 months of it, I can say it affected me positively. To end off this class with a bang, we were assigned the TIME MACHINE project! This is basically an artifact that you would want your past self to see and learn from. So, lets get into what I created! 

THE VIDEO!

WHAT DID I LEARN?

I created this short video about what I wished grade 8 and 9 knew. I took the task of a “time machine” quite literally as I did a letter to my past self, but it’s what felt the best to create. While writing the script I put down in point form the main 3 points I wanted to get across, my work environment, organization, and preparation/planning. I wrote out exactly what habits I wish I knew before grade 10, and habits from the two books we read especially “7 Habits of a Highly Effective Teen” stood out for me in each point I wanted to make. I talk about the Habits that stuck with me the most like being proactive, and beginning with end in mind. Through all the books, worksheets, podcasts, and sketches I did connected to PGP, I can honestly say everything I say in the video is genuine. Its not stuff that always sounds good, its not stuff that will give me a good mark, its stuff that actually helps me on a daily basis. 

WHAT MY VIDEO MEANS…

The biggest thing I walked into PGP with was that I wanted to create a work routine than gets the work done efficiently, and enjoyably. I normally end up with work I’m happy with, but I never enjoy the process I have to get there. Things
like procrastination, late nights, early mornings, busy after schools, etc were all caused from my lack of organization, planning, and not having a healthy workspace. Through all of PGP I took parts and pieces of what I learnt and molded it to my working style, and it ended up with a nice and efficient work routine. I learnt this year that the process of creating is just as important as the final product!

MOVING FORWARD

I’m going to lots of work to do in the future, if its school connected, family connected, work connected, it’s always going to be there. So why not create a routine that makes the process as enjoyable as having a great end product? PGP made me get my stuff together and figure out that exact problem, and I can confidently say I believe my video shows that. I’m happy I took PGP seriously, and that I went into it with a drive, because I’m not sure I would have gotten as much out of if I didn’t. 

Working Safely

AN IMAGE I MADE USING PHONTO

Did you know you can deny to work if you feel unsafe or not properly trained? I didn’t know that until in Maker 10 we started discussing WorkSafeBC! WorkSafeBC teaches students and workers how to say safe and educated. Luckily I am being taught this all before I go into the workforce, but some kids weren’t as lucky. We watched a short documentary based off 3 kids that were brutally injured. These injuries were easily preventable through proper training, but they weren’t given that and that’s why WorkSafeBC is looking out for us! If you want to take a look at the video, here it is. (Beware its very gory)

THE HAZARDS!

As a class we each were assigned with a topic surrounding around injuries that can occur in the workplace. We made small keynotes and took notes on them, Let me explain some of them off what I learnt in the presentations! 

The slide Luca OG and I created!

BIOLOGICAL HAZARDS. The grossest one out of them all. This includes HIV and AIDS and can be transferred through multiple things like needles left on site, drinks or food eaten by a stranger, etc. This hazard is pretty simple and just explains, don’t touch other peoples gross things. 

MSI. This is the most frequent and common injury in BC. This includes things like tendinitis, strains, back pain, carpal tunnel, etc. Most of these are treatable, yet they are very annoying and can cause loss of workers for small amounts of time. 

SUN HEAT AND COLD.  This is the area I focused on in my presentation and it’s mainly about the employers needed to educate their workers on proper clothing and important things have to do with weather. Sun can cause to extremes amount of stress, skin cancer, burns etc. Cold can cause hypothermia which can damage your body, specifically toes, nose, fingers, etc.

NOISE HAZARDS. Hearing is something that you can’t tell most of the time is affecting you until long term damage. One out of four people are affected by their hearing quality lowering because of loud noises coming from construction, kitchens, traffic, loud music, etc. This is definitely something to watch out for.

CHEMICAL HAZARDS. This is a super scary one to me as my dad is a painter in the film industry and I’m always worried about the toxic stuff he is inhaling. Beside things like paint there is dust and asbestos and they can all cause lung cancer and breathing problems. 

This unit is extremely important as safety is a thing you shouldn’t ever avoid. As teenagers we sometimes feel pressured to do stuff as we are younger and just want jobs. That’s why this unit is educational as it teaches us we HAVE a voice and that even if it’s scary we still need to use it. STAY SAFE!

Who is Luca?

Hi I’m Luca and I have no idea who I am and what I want to do when I’m older! That’s okay though. Not an excuse to not wonder though! My class and I in maker (planning 10 included) have been using my blue print to start a conversation with ourselves on who we are and who we want to be. This made me thinking about the future as well as breaking down the way I think and work now. Self awareness is a main part of what I took out of this all and ill explain later in the blog. So, before I get into what I want to be when I’m older, let’s take a look at a keynote I made about who I am currently.

A part of my blueprint is focusing on NOW. In the keynote I talk about the quizzes I took to figure out what learner I am and It really opened my mind to how my brain works!!  This chart here is a chart of the classes I’m taking now, and what I want to take in the future high school years. The chart got me all excited for what I’m going to be learning about in the future, and made a good visual for my brain to picture. 

THE FUTURE

Using blueprint past the tests I talk about in the keynote, it suggests some jobs and universities for you! While I may not agree with some choices they give me like funeral planner or actor….. The website gives me some good ideas. Lets take a look at a chart I made that shows some of the jobs I saw/was suggested by my blueprint. 

I think out of all the jobs I saw on my blue print that I was interested in was film/business related. While those are drastically different, I’m making sure to pay attention to how those grabbed my attention.

SELF AWARENESS!

A collage I made to represent me!

So, I’m going to discuss some stuff with this prompts! How do self-awareness and knowledge of skills, talents, and challenges contribute to career-life choices? Personally for the future I think equally about my happiness, money, and work consistency. It’s rare to find a job that includes all of those, but I might as well try. I feel knowing myself and being self aware will strongly influence my future as I know what I want and don’t want. I’m a creative person, yet am not afraid to go into something like business. I am trying to keep my mind open and not stick to one thing because hey, maybe that will lead me to my future amazing job! 

Overall, my blueprint made me think about something I often hide from thinking about, as the future can be quite scary. I think The Who am I keynote was my favorite part of this work as It really opened my eyes to who I think I am, which surprisingly I don’t think about that often! 

Peoples Podcast

Podcast time!! As I have talked about previously, my class and I have been focusing on podcasts. Its the way we are showing our learning about each unit. This units goal is to answer the driving question,
How has the “Canadian Experience” been different for minorities?” So, lets get into the podcast and what I took away from this project!

THE PODCAST

The mini essay I mentioned

We were given around 2 months including spring break to make a podcast about one minority group. The choices were Physical Health, Mental Health, Race, Religion and Sexuality/Gender. There were groups of three and I was put with Morgan and Lucas. Before being assigned groups we had to write a mini essay on 3 minority groups that we are interested in and why. I wrote about the Japanese (race), Bipolar Disorder (mental health), and Buddhism (religion.) I would have been happy to focus on any of these, but I was assigned with the mental health category. I was really excited to start researching and getting to know this topic as I hear a lot about it but don’t know too much.

CHINATOWN

While working on our own podcast, we got to take a little field trip to Chinatown! I was super excited to do this as Chinatown is somewhere I’m always in, or near to yet I know nothing about. We spent the day in Chinatown to learn the history about how the Chinese in Vancouver were treated in the past. This was directly correlated to our driving question as the Chinese (minorities) were treated insanely different compared to other immigrants in Canada at the time. Our tour guide was very informative and I learnt some things I wouldn’t have if I didn’t go on the tour. We got to go inside buildings, walk around outside, go in a garden, and we went for lunch at an awesome Chinese restaurant! (Awesome soup dumplings!) We all had to make a mini podcast on our time in Chinatown, so here is mine!

THE INTERVIEWEES

This was the most educational part of this project for me personally. Ill explain why for each interviewee, but my perspective genuinely changed after each time I talked to these people. So, meet the lovely interviewees!

Here’s Karen, a Clinical Counselor! Aka, my aunt. She’s an amazing person who used to work with teens and families dealing with issues connected to mental health and a lot more. Basically anything that could go wrong in a teens life, she dealt with it. I interviewed Karen to get a perspective on how mental health is handled with teens, and she did an amazing job at explaining it to me. Sadly, voice memos decided to ruin my life and delete the interview I had with Karen, but luckily I was the one to interview her so I used the information she told me to write and record my parts of the podcast, the audio of her talking just couldn’t be included into the podcast.

Maia! Maia is a student at Seycove, as well as a friend of Morgan and I. She deals with diagnosed mental health issues, and she was the perfect person to talk to to open our eyes to what it’s like to deal with so much while being a teen.  Morgan and I sat down with her for a while and had a conversation about mental health and the pros and cons of Seycove for teens. This interview was amazing and I’m grateful she shared her story!

LISTEN TIME!

After much research, recording, revision, sharing, interviewing, and learning, we ended up with a final product. Morgan, Lucas and I all equally contributed to the podcast and we are happy with the message we portray in it. Take a listen!

THE ESSAY

Before I reflect on this unit, an important part of it was the in class essay we wrote. While working on the podcast and beforehand we were reading “Jade Peony” a book written by Wayson Choy. It is based around 3 stories told in Chinatown in the 1900s. The essay we wrote had to include yourself, Jade Peony, and Wayson Choy, and be based around how different people interpret literature. Mine focuses on how experiences and age are what creates perspective, which causes you to understand literature in a certain way. I’m happy with my essay and I feel you can hear my voice in it, and I kept revising it until my teacher and I were happy with it. If you want you can take a look at it below.

MOVING ON

To wrap this all up we did a class seminar to show what we all learnt. This was one of my favorite classes out of the year because everyone was so mature about talking about there subject, and everyone seemed genuinely interested. Here’s the keynote I made for my group which we presented in the seminar.

So, after all of this, what did I take away from this project? Besides the factual parts about mental health, I walked away with some valuable things. My perspective on mental health and people who deal with it drastically changed. After talking to Maia, and Karen, my eyes were opened. Mental Illnesses are something so common, yet aren’t really talked about.  That’s why we wanted to make this podcast, to start a conversation around it. Mental health is JUST as important as physical health. The biggest thing I took away from this project is that people who deal with mental health issues have it so hard because it can be such an invisible thing to others, yet hurt the person dealing with it horribly.

OUR GOAL

OUR PODCAST COVER

I hope this podcast can start a conversation around mental health in teens and younger. I first heard and really thought about the word mental health once I reached high school, which I think is a fault in the curriculum. How come we have gym class and education on health yet no talk about your brain and why you feel the way you do? I want everyone to talk about mental health as its so so so important!

While this podcast isn’t 100% perfect, It gets the message we want to get share, out to the world. I hope in the future I can focus on mental health awareness more.

The Destination is Our Imagination!

Welcome! This is the last blog post that will be dedicated to the one and only Destination Imagination… It feels like yesterday when I posted my first one 2.5 years ago… Before I start rambling, if you want to hear about my DI Regionals read it here. I don’t want to repeat the same stuff I say there!

WHAT WE IMPROVED

Scientific Seycove team grade 10!

OK, getting into the provincials talk… For provincials my team and I really needed to focus on the aircraft and the aircraft only. Besides having to move around the script because Logan couldn’t come, we didn’t change much storyline/props related. We did revise our team choice element #2 by explaining better what we meant. But, the aircraft and payloads were top priority. We used the same drone and figured out why it didn’t work the previous time, and came up with a payload technique we liked more than the last one. Although the aircraft/payloads might have not worked at provincials 100% (payloads not aircraft) but the effort was visible. This part of the challenge on the last week before provincials is where Logan, Jamie and Daniel stepped in and worked hard.

A BURN CHART, PIE CHART AND DESIGN FOR PAYLOADS WE MADE BETWEEN REGIONALS AND PROVINCIALS

COMPARING GRADE 8 TO GRADE 10

My first blog about DI posted, March 2017

So, as this is my last blog post of DI I want to revisit my grade 8 DI blog post and see what I thought about it, what I learned and any skills I wanted to improve on. Let’s take a look. Ok I just re read my grade 8 DI blogs and jeez was I hard on DI. I never fully “loved” DI, but it definitely grew on me each year. This year I definitely tried my absolute hardest to go into it with a positive and excited outlook, and It definitely helped. The negativity I have towards it in the grade 8 blog post is fully understandable as DI is super frustrating and will make you cry at least once… (HA) Anyways, as the 3 years went by I tried to almost take the DI part out of DI and just look at it as an awesome team learning experience that will help me grow my tool box of skills. I definitely am happy my blog this year isn’t a “I hate DI” type this year, and I’m happy about how my perspective has changed majorly.

BIG REFLECT TIME

We won 1st and 2nd place!

Before I get into full reflection, we got 2nd in the overall challenge and 1st in instant challenge. (We did really well in the instant challenge and feel very proud of it. ) Anyways, being genuinely honest, this DI was the most frustrating out of all 3 DI years, personally for myself. I sometimes felt my time and effort put into the presentation was hidden by the other side of the team not doing what they said they would. I really worked my butt off this year for DI. I found myself prioritizing it over everything else, and spent the most time I have on DI in all of the years writing, painting, making, practicing etc. Being honest, I would get upset about how I worked everyday after school for a few weeks while some others did nothing… But I sat and thought about how if I removed grades, DI, school from this experience, I’m leaning new valuable skills. My grade may get lowered, my team may not win but I’m gaining new patience and persistence that I probably wouldn’t have without DI.

I didn’t think the best part of DI was the performance, I think it was the new outlook I gained on my work ethic and how to perceive an experience. While I am proud of the things I did for our DI presentation, we didn’t complete our challenge fully which was make a flying aircraft that dropped payloads. It wasn’t a EPIC WIN, it was more EPIC LEARNING MIND EXPLOSION. Learning how to deal with frustration in group projects, and to continue to work super hard is something I’m going to have to know for all the future grades, university, and whatever career I’m in.

So long, Destination Imagination!