Field Study, No Field

Originally, I had some second thoughts on not going on the Albuquerque field-study with the rest of the Prefomance Learning Program cohort. Even though, staying back at Seycove is always an option, this was my first time I made this decision. By the time the departure date arrived I had accumulated a wide range of knowledge on the topics we were studying.

During the summer break I was assigned an amazing book by the name of The Age Of Radiance, by Craig Nelson. This book outlined nuclear history starting from the discovery of radium, to Fukushima, and Chernobyl. Included in this book was the main subject of our project, the Manhattan Project.  The name of our project was The Manhattan Project^2 (Squared), intellectually inspired by Mr. Hughes. The squared was added, to supplement proper name, “The Manhattan Project Project.” 

The project for this unit was the creation of a book that answered or included these three sentences.

1. The history of the atomic bomb
  2. The science of the bomb
  3. The cultural impact of the bomb
  4. How the bomb impacted New Mexico
  5. How the bomb impacted Canada
  6. Why was the development of the bomb historically significant

When this project was being announced, I immediately jumped to a time line format, and after further research I created a first draft of a time line in the App Pages. This timeline had about thirty events that tied directly to our six questions. Later in the proses I brought it down to the twenty strongest.

When my classmates left for the field study, I had a very strong plan on how I was going to get a good chunk of the now twenty five pages finished. I knew that I had about three hours, one hour every day to work on this book in class, and I had one hour every other day to work on it in my spare. This lead me to having five hours off in class time to work. I also formulated that I had to complete about three pages every day for six days to finish up to the Importance/ Significance parts of the book. The last rule that I put in place was that, if I finished before the end of my one hour time slot, I still left fifteen minutes to clear my head before the next class, I would keep working. The three page rule just dictated if I had to work “overtime” on that day.

The way that I planed out my book lead me to individually researching the many events that happened during this atomic era, in stead of researching it as a whole. This lead my knowledge on the subject to become less cumulative, and more subjective. To put it in simpler words I knew the ins ands outs of this historically significant time period. This even lead me to explaining to a sub for thirty minutes the very microscopic impact Einstein really had, and how its was the Hungarian physicists, like Leo Szilard, and Edward Teller that should be credited for warning the president. 

Overall I found that this time a way from my fellow students lead me into really diving deeper in my research and picking a format that answered these six questions effortlessly. If you want to checkout my blog post on the Atomic era that included my book Press Here. 

Job Shadow Post

For a part of our CLE course, we were instructed to complete a job Shadow. The biggest key to this job shadow project was to choose a career path that I might actually be interested in following one day. For the first step, I needed to first brainstorm a list of potential job shadow opportunities that I would be interested in. I was thinking of going down the artistic path, such as an animator of an artist, and I started to ask around if there were any people I was already in contact with through my family.

My first thought was to contact a company that my mom was working with at the time to see if could job shadow anyone from there offices, but my mom expressed to me that it would complicate things, so I decided that I would look somewhere else. My next focus was at my dad’s work since he works with a lot of artsy people. He relayed me to the production designer of his current project.

I originally set up a time on, technically, the last week of school, but he was sick so we rescheduled for the following Monday. Unfortunately, his wife caught what every he had and he had to cancel again. I told him it was no problem, and that I could find someone else. Now, I had to take things into my own hands, so I when online to find a potential job shadow in the field that I was actually interested in architecture.

After a while, I stumbled upon a very interesting website that belonged to an Architecture firm in Vancouver. They seemed to work on all types of architecture, as well as some other job titles that I had never heard of such as wayfinding. Finally, I called the number on the website in search of an email. After a long conversation with a member of the firm, she gave me an email which leads me to the first step of the job shadow, the introduction email.

As agreed she forwarded my email around their office, and I got two different architects that offered up a bit of their time. As I have shown above, I mentioned in my email that I was interested in environmental design, and one of the architects, a man by the name of Scot Geib, described that he had worked in that field before.

I decided that I would choose him because he seemed like he would be able to answer some of the questions I have accumulated over the past few years. As he mentioned in his email he wanted me to call him, and that is what I did, and by the end of the phone call, I had a date, time, and place.

As it turns out he was actually the co-founder of the architecture firm I first came in contact with and he has a part-time job teaching at Langara College, which is where I was going to meet him. Before the job shadow, I made sure I had a list of questions that could lead the conversation.

When I arrived at Langara College I was very excited and a little bit nervous. I was about to go face to face with the career path I had been considering for so long. When I first met Scot in person I immediately felt a little more comfortable and my nerves disappeared. He was an inspiration to me and really helped me understand the industry better. A minute in, I found myself putting down the list of questions because I realized I was really interested in what he had to say.

After asking a few questions about different classes I should take, and what he does on a daily basis, I realized that there were a lot of questions that had been bugging me for a long time. I started talking about everything from the future of architecture to what it takes to be a good architect. One very interesting example he gave was when he said to be a good architect you need to be a good observer of the world. He also mentioned that a piece of architecture is usually one person’s realization that has been refined by many peoples critique. After our conversation, I really had to take a step back and proses everything that he had said. I really appreciated how he addressed all of my questions as being intriguing and he would always ask if he answered the question correctly.

I think one of the coolest parts of this job shadow, is that he even addressed some of the topics we were focusing on in schools like growth mindset and critique and revision. Looking back this experience has really cleared the fog around architecture and has helped me grow my understanding of what I might want to after college. I think that even though this job shadow project was really challenging, I was able to get so much out of it. This really has been a life changing experience that I will never forget

The Circle BC Podcats and Exhibition

For this second blog post I am going to cover two different project that have both stemmed from the Circle BC Field Study, The Circle BC Podcast, And the Blue Sky Exhibition Project. Even though I talked about the Circle BC Podcast and my answer to the inquiry question, this blog post will really explain the detail to how I prepared for the podcast, and my creation process.

When we started the trip it was suggested that we should write notes on every day so that when we were writing our script we wold be able to easily include the different parts that relate to our podcast. Instead of writing a script I decided that I would start writing the script to my podcast so that every day I could add a little bit about our trip that retaliated to my thesis. As the trip progressed the whole idea change for the teacher, and with a little persuasion, I  realized that the best thing for me to was to write daily notes instead of the script.(The change was more of a transition from a daily diary to a learning journey with a story).

About halfway through the trip we started too generate topics for our podcasts. I had a little bit of an idea of what I wanted to create but it was still pretty cloudy. In the next few days I generated many different ideas, but finally decided that I would focus on

“How might we explain the story’s to the beautiful things we see”

The whole podcast project creation was kind of crammed into the last few days, and the most amount of time we had was on the twenty two hour fairy ride back to Vancouver Island. During this time I was able to finish my script, record my audio, create my music, and edit the podcast so that I could include five different sounds from the trip as well a creating a clean transition between audio clips. I was able to successfully time manage my time, due to this I was able to had in my completed podcast in to my teachers, on the second fairy ride from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay. A few days later I completed my critique, finishing the project for good. I think that I really finished this podcast strong, and helped me feel confident in my podcast creation skills. The only speed bump I had was the audio quality on the fairy but that was easily corrected at home. 

The second and final part of the project is the spring exhibition/Blue Sky Project. This was very based off of the same Inquiry Question, and our previous research on the Circle BC Field Study. I really had to consider all of my options because when this project started I wasn’t sure which way I should go. I was considering to either pursue my previous idea, or to start anew and pick another topic like some of my peers. I finally decided that I would continue with my research, because the previous podcast project had gone really well and I hadn’t grown tired of the topic yet.

For this project we followed the L>A>U>N>C>H> Cycle, which has somewhat been protocol in these type of projects. If you want to know more about the launch cycle visit one of my previous posts where I go more in-depth in to the topic.

By the time we hit the ‘Create’ stage I had finished all of my research and really felt ready to create. The main project idea was that I would use my photos as evidence that I could use to explain my thesis. I had taken over two thousand different photos on the trip and had an idea of what photos I was going to use.

For the next three days, I spent my lunches in the photo room where I had access to Photoshop and Adobe Camara Raw (ACR), and was able to sorte through my photos, selecting the photos that I wanted to edit. The editing proses was even more time consuming because some of the photos were take with a pre-set White Balance, which ment I needed to adjust more than your basic set of controls.

Finally, I had to go out and buy some supplies, including a canvas, foam core, photo paper, and clear photo sheets. These items were all crucial in my overall design. With my foam core I carefully cut out, and created two photo stands, and with the canvas and a dismantled shelving unit I created the front poster. Then I re-edited the photos on my home computer so that when they were printed, they would look as close to the digital versions as possible. This was one of the steps that I struggled the most on because I didn’t want to waist photo paper and it really was just trial and error.

When I finally finished Printing I slipped the photos into the photo sheets and set up my entire exhibit. This required me to do some last minute tweaking, which lead me to realize I still needed a title. I later realized that the title I should use is my original how might we question which is “How might we explain the story’s to the beautiful things we see”. Yet I knew I still wasn’t done, because I needed to get my presentation organized. I accomplished this by practising with my family members and asking them for critique. When the day of the exhibition came around I knew I was fully prepared to show my learning and maybe convince a few unsuspecting listeners of my new found five step way to convey an experience. 

My Exibit at the 2019 Spring Exhibition

The Podcast Listening Station at the 2019 Spring Exibition

Overall I was very happy with my final prototype and presentation. Lots of people would come by my booth and ask about the photos, giving me to let them in on my learning. I think it is so much easier to explain something that you truly believe in, and by the end of this project, I had much more invested in this than just belief. I still remember the times when we were on the Circle BC Field Study and I wasn’t sure if my idea was going to work, and couldn’t explain my idea to the teachers how I wanted to. I am so glad that I was able to end on such a high note this year, and even though I am happy for the two and a half month break, I can’t wait to see what grade eleven brings along.

Circle BC Field Study

These past couple of months have been an what some people would call a grind. We have had so much going on, an not a lot of time to be able to properly reflect on it. In these next two blogposts, I am going to be looking back at the amazing projects we just finished. I will cover The biggest learning moments from the Circle BC Field study, my learning process that helped me research, brainstorm my artifact, and launch my ideas into what they have become today.

Next I will focus on the Circle BC podcast, and the scriptwriting and music producing that came with it. Finally I will talk about the exhibition, planning the room, working with my quadrant, how I came up with my idea and what I took away from the trip. The Circle BC Field Study has by far been one of the best if not the best field study that I have ever participated in. I has been an incredibly eye opening experience, and I cant wait to share with you my learning from these last few months.

My class and I embarked on a twelve day field study, traveling all the way from Vancouver to the Nass valley and back again. Each day we visited many different stops following our three trends of learning, first peoples studies, the caribou gold rush, and industry in BC. Each of these stops have helped me to pinpoint the answer to our inquiry question,

“How can I convince my neighbour that their life is not complete until they have experienced what I’ve experienced?”

Every stop that we visited has influenced my worldview, and my position on our trends of learning. I could not imagine a world were I would be the same person I am today, without this trip.

When we left Seycove, I didn’t know how I was going to answer this inquiry question. Even though I knew that this trip would cover some important topics, I didn’t want to commit to a specific topic. As the trip progressed up to mid BC the project plans changed and I found my self considering a whole new topic.  I realized that instead of focussing on the experience in the Inquiry Question I could focus on the convincing method.

I later realized that the best way to start to think about this would be by putting my self in the position of the neighbour because somehow they would have to experience this ‘experience’ through some sort of verbal communication.

When I interviewed an executive at the Port of Prince Rupert Authoritative Centre, the interviewee expressed that there really was no correct answer to this question, since there was no way to properly convey an experience. Soon after I realized that I had to switch from convincing methods to relativity/memorization methods.

This is also when I realized my topic should be based around how “Beauty can be redefined to capture the essence of an experience”. One example that really pioneered this idea was experiencing all of the totem poles created by the Nisga’a and Tshimshaim nations. I realized that in general “Beauty” is thought of as being skin deep, but after this experience I realized that even though this is just a long wooden pole I still feel that incredible connection and admiration towards this as though was aesthetically pleasing.

I came to the conclusion that the reason these totem poles are beautiful even when they are not always visibly pleasing, is because of my understanding of their rich culture and history. I think with an understanding of history and culture, one would be able to convey an experience through words. Even if the “neighbors” in this case cannot create a mental image similar to the one that I was able to see, they still will be able to understand the beauty,  bringing them closer to the actual experience.

Traveling through Prince Rupert I learned that most of the tshimshaim totem poles were taken during colonization so in museums like the museum of northern British Columbia would showcase nisga’a totem poles instead. I also learned that totem poles tell intricate story’s, life lessons, and historical facts about older times. In many First Nation cultures it is impolite to explain another bands totem pole because it is as they say “not your story to tell.”

In hindsight this trip has really helped me understand why it is so hard to share experiences with others. I think If you learn the history behind your experiences, you can better explain the beauty leading the “Neighbour” to create a stronger mental image, and overall be able to relate to the emotion you experienced. I concluded that you can use this skill by making sure to include the history and culture in your explanation as well as a visual interpretation.

Now, even though this trip was incredibly educational and filled with content, I also want to focus on the different skills I learned, because some of these skills will definitely help me out later in life. Some of the skills I learned during this trip were to always be in a work mode, always be jotting down notes and always be recording ideas and audio clips for the podcast. In this situation, you always want to be open to new information. This way you can have just a big amount of knowledge that you can put to use when to create your final project. This trip has really been an eye opening experience, and has been a really highly of the year for me. In my next blog post I cover the Projects we created on the trip and after the trip, including my final exhibition.

Advancement: TPOL

For this year end TPOL blog post I have decided to go in-depth into my learning on many different topics. It really surprised me when I realized that we only had two weeks left, usually, I was counting the days until the beginning of Sumer Break. Why was this year different?

As I reflected on this year to answer this question I realized how much work I have done. For example, I found myself asking Mr. Gross if he taught trigonometry in grade nine, as it turns out it was only the beginning of this year. This last part of the year has been quite the endeavour, with the circle BC trip, Two French Final Projects, Two Final Photo Projects, Four Scimatics Projects, and The Blue Sky Project. I think that this year, in general, has been incredibly condensed with all different types of tests and projects. 

Why do I feel I am ready to advance to the next grade level? 

Every year in my TPOL Blog Post, I like to touch on my challenges, my failures, my favourite projects, and successes. In hindsight, I don’t think that this explanation has really perpetuates my learning. The best way to exhibit my learning is to explain HOW I learned on some of my most significant projects. 

Video Recreation Project 

This was one of the first projects this year, and when it comes to videography I think it was one of the most substantial. This was one of the first times I realized how important Preproduction was in a video project. One big contribution to this project was my screenplay. Even though I had previously created many different screenplays I think that this was probably some of my best work and really introduced my descriptive writing to a video project (Scene Descriptions). I really liked this project because it was very entertaining and informational. We did two renditions of this project and I have to admit it was nice to have another project that we could use our newly created skills on. 

Synthesis Essay 

This was one of my first in class essay writes and was most definitely one of the hardest essays to write. The novel that we read for this essay was quite eye-opening and a little bit depressing. It was easier to connect it to my thesis because of its impact on your emotions. I learned a lot about essay prep, time consumption, and essay flow. When my essay was critiqued I was a little bit taken back at how much I had to change. This was one of the first times I felt overwhelmed with critique. I realized that I really had push myself to do this critique, but once it was finished I felt very proud of my work. This was the first time I realized that in some situations it is important that you revise your critique to its fullest potential, instead of being picky and just changing the aspects that you want to change. 

Seattle Field Study 

This was a very interesting field study and it focused more on technical industry, such as Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple. The main project for this field study was a video that illustrated Our inquiry question, “Why does it take a crazy person to change the world?” Throughout this trip, I pioneered the film taking eventually the editing. We did run into some problems in the editing proses, and even though we ran into some problems we still made the deadlines. You are probably wondering why this project is in my TPOL Blog, since it was not nessisaraly my best work. I think it is important to recognize that just because you might “fail” at something doesn’t mean you won’t learn from it. There are many things I would change from my video, but possibly the most predominant skill is still splitting up the work between my team so that everyone can work on  something that they want to work on. 

Circle BC Field Study

Even though this trip was incredibly educational, I really want to focus on the different skills I learned instead of the content. If you’re interested in the content aspect of the trip, visit my Circle BC blog post. Some of the skills I learned during this trip were to always be in a work mode, always be jotting down notes and always be recording ideas and audio clips for the podcast. In this situation, you always want to be open to new information. This way you can have just a big amount of knowledge that you can put to use when to create your final project.

Bears in Northern British Columbia | Circle BC Field Study 

This year has really been incredible, and every day I feel like I’m becoming a better human being. All of these new skills I have learned have contributed to me being able to advance to the next grade level. Even though there have been many times this year where I have been overwhelmed and stressed out, there has been just as many being overexcited, and proud of my work. This year I have been incredibly proud of my work, and steadfast on handing my work in on time and completing my critique to its fullest potential. I am excited for next year, and can’t wait for the new challenges I will encounter. 

Energy Capture: Scimatics

For this project in scimatics, we have been working on creating renewable energy through a hand powered generator. We started off this unit by focasing on the different types of renewable energy and how these different forms work.

After we had a wide understanding of this last step, we set to work creating an early prototype of our generation technique. Me and my partner Logan decided that the best way to achieve this was to create a Water Wheel.

Our first prototype was not so successful, because the material was not water resident. For the second prototype I decided that I would use a different material, and make sure my measurements were as close to perfection as possible.

The last part off this project was to create a short video advertisement describing why this product would be good on the market. For the video we mostly used keynote, and a small amount of live action footage. The video turned out excellent, and touched on all of the topic on rubric. If I were to create the same generator project again, I would probably try to use a mor sustainable material like metal instead. This was a really fun project, that ended up being super interactive.

I used many different Curricular Competencies, these four were the most predominant:

Reasoning and modelling

Understanding and solving

Connecting and reflecting

Time Machine Project

For the last project in PGP, we were given the task of creating a learning artifact. This artifact needed to convey a reverse time capsule effect. Instead of leaving something for the future we would be theoretically going into the past.

The artifact needed to some how show an element of our previous learning in PGP, something that could change our lives or could have made our lives easier if we had known about it sooner. When this project was introduced, I was very excited because this project gave us a lot of creative freedom. We create anything that would introduce some part of our previous learning to our former self. Right of the bat, I had an idea that I really wanted to pursue.

That idea has stuck with me to the final prototype of this project. My main ideas was to artistically express that if I had implemented time blocking earlier into my life I would be able to have more free time.  even though this part of my idea changed, I originally wanted to paint my self time blocking “Painting Time”. I thought that this would have probably been pretty ironic, funny, and informational example. Once I set to work I realized that there was some pretty big obstacles that I needed to overcome.

One of the main obstacles was probably just the skill aspect of this creation, don’t get me wrong I am a pretty good artist, but for this to be self explanatory I was really going to need to step up my game. Another problem I faced was the time aspect of the project. To put it simply I blocked out way too little time and definitely should have realized that it would take more time.

We were given a lot of time on this project and even though it was all outside of school, I prioritized it last. Creating my first drafts meant that I was going to need a picture to base it off of. I didn’t mention that I was going to paint/draw it by hand, but for this first prototype I needed to use my iPad for dimensions.

This first prototype took virtually no time and really set that idea that lead me to underestimating the rest of the project. The next prototype was a hand drawn sketch that didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted it to be, but still work out with my final prototype. Finally, I started on my final prototype, this is when I realized I messed up with the time blocking aspect of this project. Isn’t that funny how I was creating a project on the importance of time blocking, and totally messed up my time blocking.

The Final Prototype

Looking back I realized that the downside to time blocking is that you really cant tell the future, and at any moment something could put you back an hour creating a lot of stress on your part. The only way to solve this problem would be to time block a couple of hours of make up time spread out across the day, and label certain events as being flexible or not so you know where to take time from.

In hindsight this project has been a real eye opener when it comes to understanding time blocking. At fist I though I was a professional but as it turns out I am just a mere amateur. I know Now that I still have a lot to learn about this subject, which will come with time (no pun intended), and have realized that there are so many possible ways to present a project. 

WorkSafeBC Reflection

This unit in maker, we have been focussing on Career Life Education or CLE for short. In my previous blog post I covered the Who am IWho am I part of this project. This included preparation for collage and finding out my learning styles. As we progressed in this unit we started to learn about work safety.

We started this section of the unit by watching a WorkSafeBC Video. It was quite disturbing and really showed why you need to learn about this topic. The next step of this project was learning directly the rules and regulations.

We completed this section of the project by answering some worksheet questions. These questions were harder than the normal worksheet because they required you to find the actual section and subsection the rule was listed under. After this part of the project we were assigned the WorkSafeBC Test.

For this final part of the project, I decided that the best way to study the test was to look over the rules and regulations on the WorkSafeBC site. This took a lot of time, but when I came to school the next day I felt prepared for the test. Unfortunately, a lot of the questions on the test were not directly included in the rules, and weren’t mentioned on the practice test. Unlike some of my peers I didn’t pass the test on my first try. In the future I will know what to study, and will undoubtably pass.

I have learned a lot from this unit, and am able to see its relevance in my every day life. Some of the facts that surprised me, like how every working day 34 young workers are injured. Facts like these lead me to realize the importance, and seriousness of working in a hard labor job. 

Who Am I?

In maker we are starting to look into ourselves. Using the app myBlueprint my class mates and I have been research our learning styles and other characteristics. The app itself is used more on the planning side because that is the thing a highschooler needs as he begins to think about his future.

At first I was a little sceptical of how the website gathered its data, but I soon realized that you could use the information on a wider scale. Some things, could not be trusted like the job suggestions. I personally didn’t get anything outrageous, but one of my friends was suggested to be a meat packer. This really made me sceptical of the app in its entirety, but some parts seamed to work right. One part of the website that did do a reasonable job was its learning styles suggestions. The website gave you a survey to fill out, and then was able to show the percentage of each leaning style.

If this website is correct than that means I’m a pretty evenly based leaner. In class each student has to prepare a keynote on these three questions. 

How does knowing ourselves better affect our career choices and opportunities? 

How does developing our self-awareness help us to make life and career choices? 

How can we develop our skillset for continuous improvement and lifelong learning?

I chose personally to focus on the last question because then I could talk more about my resent discovery of learning styles. When I finished my keynote, I realized that I had done lots or research on leaning stiles, but hadn’t focused on me and what I wanted to do to as my career.

luckily enough, the next part of the project let me dive right into this uncertainty. For the next part of this project, I gathered information on my post secondary education. At this point in time I am veering towards Architecture as my chosen path, but I’m not entirely sure if that is what I want to do. When creating the graph, I decided to brake it up into eight different sections.

This would really give me the clarity to see what path I could possibly take later in my life. I was surprised especially by the differences in salary, and prerequisites. In this project I learned all about planning for my future and the possible paths I could take. Even though, this website filled me with skepticism I still believe it has done its job. This is definitely the most daily life relatable project yet, I cant wait for more

Cell Phone Systems: Linear Equations

This was our second unit this term that involved the use of liner equations. For this project we were put in groups of two, and given the inquiry question:

“How can we use systems of equations to determine the least expensive cell phone plan that meets our needs?”

This was a shorter project compared to our previous projects. My partner Isabelle and I, decided that it would. Be best to create a video, that could explain all of the important aspects of the driving questions. It was very important to look at the rubric, before starting this project so we knew what to cover. We started this project by researching three different phone plans. The plans that we chose were, Telus, Virgin Mobile, and Bell. It was also important to make sure that there was some differences between th plans so that they could intersect.

Once we had completed our reasurch we desided that the next step would be the mathematics. Like I mentioned before the main part of this project was graphing linear equations. In our video, Isy and I explain how you could find the correct plan for your needs.

Overall I really liked this project, because I think that I could use this in my life. It is a really interesting skill to have, and I know that it will relate to different units still to come.

Four different Circular Compatancies that I Used/Improved during this project are:

Reasoning and modelling

Through this project I explored, analyzed, and applied mathematical ideas using reason, technology, and other tools while finding the correct liner equations to base our project off of.

Communicating and representing

I represented mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms by creating a keynote video that touched on all of the topics that I researched.

Understanding and solving

I made sure to Visualize, explore and illustrate mathematical concepts and relationships using keynote magic move so that the audience would feel a stronger conection to the material.

Connecting and reflecting

I saw  my mistakes as opportunities to advance learning, when i worked on my second draft, so that the keynote would run smoothly and all of the peer feedback was adresed.