Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

How I Was Created – Unit 4 Reperduction

This last term in science we learn the basics of human and plant reproduction. We started by looking at the driving question How do species continue to survive while individuals die? I personally thought that this question s struck a chord inside of me. I have always liked nature and to be able to take a closer look on plant reproduction, excited me. As we continued to lean about reproduction we started to focus on two different types of reproduction, sexual reproduction and asexual reproduction. The main difference in these two forms of reproduction is the amount of parent plants needed to make another plant. We learned that in asexual reproduction the plat can reproduce using its own means, so in other words there is only one parent plant. The plant is able to split and copy its DNA to create another identical plant. In sexual reproduction there is more than one parent plant and the DNA comes from two different plants. In the proses of meiosis the DNA is spilt into four different sex cells hat would later create the body of the plant or human. We watched many videos during the time we had to learn an research one of the main videos that we watched was the human reproduction video.

In class we cloned dandelions in groups of four. Our group went out and harvested the wild dandelions from around our school. In class we used the dandelion root to create four different roots that would later turn in to four different dandelions. I thought that this experiment was quite interesting. Even thought the dandelion plants don’t reproduce like this in the wild it is an easer way to create four identical plants. In the same groups we also cloned garlic plants.

These garlic plants were one hundred percent successful, and grew fast enough that we could actually see the plant after it buds. Finally, our last project in this unit was the Sponsorship video that we used to not only outline our research but also, the advancements we would make in the future.

The last step of our project was creating a unit end Mind map. We were the informed that we should include all the different things that we learned. Here is my Mind Map if you want to take a peak at all the different things I leaned this unit.