Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

More Happy Than Not—Trailer

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera, was an incredible eye opening book about a young male in the Bronx. Even though depressing at times, this book out lined the inquiry Question in this unit How do Authors Use Text to Teach us More About Ourselves.

Luckily we were given lots of time to read and reflect on this book and everything that it brought to the table. When we were introduced to the project we were put in to a group of six. Other groups were made smaller because of book popularity. After reading the book, we were given a task. We hade to create a movie trailer introducing our book to a young audience. Immediately we spit up the tasks between the six of us, I was put on the job of creating the music for the video.

This task proved quite difficult and took many tries and setups to create the sound i was going for. Even though that task was hard the character i was cast as was even harder to recreate. Thomas the character in the book is the main character Aaron’s biggest crush. Thomas is a strait guy, even though Aaron thinks he is straight. I was also given the most lines in the trailer, most of them portrayed me as being a homosexual.

This alone has many challenges, and on top of all of that we had to act in a public area. Although this idea might not faze you, the amount of weird looks and hoots from pedestrians were enough for me second guess the trailer. Even though you could say it is only a complement to my acting, even one encounter takes atoll on you. Life lesson #1 outside of seycove no one knows your a PLP student, doing a PLP Project. 

(From left to right, top to bottom)  Isabelle, Logan, Melika, Adlih, Kaylie, And Me.

Other than that, the rest of the project wheat smoothly. My music even fit in perfectly with the video. There isn’t much i would change, and unfortunately in such a big group your say only counts for 15%, not enough to make drastic changes. Some parts of the editing could still be improved and in some parts of the trailer is still looks like a high schoolers work. It was a great project that let us have some creative space to learn new skills. Thank you Ms. Maxwell! 

2 Comments

1. maggiew October 31, 2018

+ I like the use of photos; they really help show the process well
    – the big piece of text that says «  this imagine requires alt text » takes up space that it shouldn’t
    ? Maybe make it more in depth how you created the music?

• Luca Oliver-Green October 31, 2018 — Post Author

Thank you Maggie for your incredible in-depth critique and I can wait to get back to you on how I plan to revise