Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

Seattle Trip/Video 2018

Our trip to seattle was quite an eye opener when it comes to researching  our topics. In particular, I was amazed by the connecting that every stop had to our inquiry question. Our inquiry question for this term was “Why it takes a crazy person to change the world?

Some of the stops that really stood out to me as being crazy were; The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Amazon, and Microsoft. I think we all exist in our own personal reality of craziness. Whether it be from the influence of passion and innovation, or debunking common belief, craziness pushes the world further.

The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation have been classified under the definition of crazy for years. They have combated the polio epidemic, constraining it to three countries. The time, effort, and money spent on solving important problems, take an unrivalled amount of patience and persistence.  The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation can evidently be considered crazy due to the originality of their work efforts.

Another example of this exceptionally unique work ethic is when Bill Gates created his first work strategy.  By licensing their software to the Microsoft name, they were able to create a substantial long term income. This lead to the collaboration from Altair 8800, to Apple. This method was coined and invented by Microsoft and stemmed from the fact that they were one of the only technology companies that sold software.

Another big company, Amazon has just topped the charts reaching just over a trillion dollars in value. In the past they have not been as philanthropic as other big companies. One move they have made to change people’s perspectives on the company was creating the eco-spheres. The eco-spheres are a trophy that amazon had created to show the viewer of their philosophical beliefs. Since it is not made to be a popular tourist destination Amazon has created this incredible workspace to be an self created trophy. This belief of self gifting is one that is unpopular in most circles, but in amazons case it is thought of as an Crazy endeavour to improve work productivity. This is evident today because of its influence in Seattles infrastructure.

This evidence not only proves craziness pushes the world further, but also proves that an “crazy” individual can debunk common thought, and belief. With enough passion and innovation anything is possible.

Throughout our trip we were required to take video, so that we could create a video project answering our inquiry question. We were split into multiple groups, with each group focusing on a different group of people, and using a different thesis. Our thesis was those who are “crazy” change the world by channeling their innovation and creativity.

I ended up doing most of the work for this project, which was not ideal. The groups either not big enough or were too big, It was hard to split up all of the tasked equally. In hindsight the actual exhibits and trip stops that we went on were amazing but I never felt like I was ready to film. Regardless, I think that this project would be easier if we assigned jobs and stuck to them. Using a shot list and a script would be more helpful than a screenplay, and would also be more beneficial because we didn’t know what we would be able to record. It takes a crazy person to change the world because these people had enough passion, perseverance, and determination to go against social norms. I learned a lot from this project, but the most important thing is the fact that sometimes pre-production is more important than post-production. I really worked hard on our video because I knew the potential of this project and the potential of our footage. Here our second draft of our Seattle video, enjoy!