Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

Time Machine Project

For the last project in PGP, we were given the task of creating a learning artifact. This artifact needed to convey a reverse time capsule effect. Instead of leaving something for the future we would be theoretically going into the past.

The artifact needed to some how show an element of our previous learning in PGP, something that could change our lives or could have made our lives easier if we had known about it sooner. When this project was introduced, I was very excited because this project gave us a lot of creative freedom. We create anything that would introduce some part of our previous learning to our former self. Right of the bat, I had an idea that I really wanted to pursue.

That idea has stuck with me to the final prototype of this project. My main ideas was to artistically express that if I had implemented time blocking earlier into my life I would be able to have more free time.  even though this part of my idea changed, I originally wanted to paint my self time blocking “Painting Time”. I thought that this would have probably been pretty ironic, funny, and informational example. Once I set to work I realized that there was some pretty big obstacles that I needed to overcome.

One of the main obstacles was probably just the skill aspect of this creation, don’t get me wrong I am a pretty good artist, but for this to be self explanatory I was really going to need to step up my game. Another problem I faced was the time aspect of the project. To put it simply I blocked out way too little time and definitely should have realized that it would take more time.

We were given a lot of time on this project and even though it was all outside of school, I prioritized it last. Creating my first drafts meant that I was going to need a picture to base it off of. I didn’t mention that I was going to paint/draw it by hand, but for this first prototype I needed to use my iPad for dimensions.

This first prototype took virtually no time and really set that idea that lead me to underestimating the rest of the project. The next prototype was a hand drawn sketch that didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted it to be, but still work out with my final prototype. Finally, I started on my final prototype, this is when I realized I messed up with the time blocking aspect of this project. Isn’t that funny how I was creating a project on the importance of time blocking, and totally messed up my time blocking.

The Final Prototype

Looking back I realized that the downside to time blocking is that you really cant tell the future, and at any moment something could put you back an hour creating a lot of stress on your part. The only way to solve this problem would be to time block a couple of hours of make up time spread out across the day, and label certain events as being flexible or not so you know where to take time from.

In hindsight this project has been a real eye opener when it comes to understanding time blocking. At fist I though I was a professional but as it turns out I am just a mere amateur. I know Now that I still have a lot to learn about this subject, which will come with time (no pun intended), and have realized that there are so many possible ways to present a project.