WW1 The Great War

Hello everyone, and welcome back to another Humanities blog.  And this one is quite interesting. WWI, thats what this project was all about. I’m sure most of us know about WWI, its was one of the most brutal wars that ever accord. Doing this project really opened my mind to how devastating wars can get, and we really did go into the details of this war.

WWI had many different battles, and we were each assigned to make a comic book, with a story spine, explaining what our war was all about. I chose the battle of Monchy. Though I didn’t really write or drew the actual story of Monchy, in reality the story was about the 10 men but I decided to do about a made up kid named Kyle.  

Picture of Allied Forces firing artillery at enemies

Now let’s take at the comic book. Writing a comic isn’t so easy, it can either be rushed, or it can be constructed properly. I feel when we were making our comics, it was the perfect mix of rushing, and constructing. We first started off with our research. Researching my topic wasn’t so hard, there is many sources and photos of the battle. After our research was gathered, we needed to implement our research into a story spine. Our spine needed to have valid dates, times, places, people, and it needed to include at least 1 fictional character. Now that you know our requirements, lets move onto our actual comic and my evidence of my learning. 

Now in my opinion, creating the comic was the hardest part, now the reason I say this, is because Im a artist. I like to take time and draw details and realism to my draws but I believe we only had 4-3 days to make our comic books and hand them in. My comic had some criticism about it not having a clear beginning, middle, and end. And I agree, its not clear, and I feel I could have done better when it come to the storyboard. But overall I am proud of my comic. 

Now enough talk. Lets take a look at my comic book, The Battle Of Monchy, by Luca.P (me)

Did you read it through? If so, I would love for you to tell me what you think in the comments below, I’m always open to constructive criticism. 

As with some but mostly all blog post I’ve done, I explain what the driving question is, and how it’s designed to “drive” our project forward. Usually we have Milestones, but this year our projects are structured without Milestones, and I actually like it better this way. Now, our driving question for this project was, “How might we use graphic novels to understand Canada’s involvement in WWI?” As most of us know, graphic novels, or comic books, tend to be full of information. Comics about war are some of the most fun and interesting comic books to date. 

Finally, my conclusion to this fun project. A lot of the facts brought up in this project will probably stick with me for the rest of my life. This project was full of gruesome facts that brought up interesting points and facts that are horrifying to think about, it shows how brutal trench warfare can be. If you want to learn more about WWI consider watching 1917, it will give you a taste of what it was like. Thanks for checking out my blog, see you later.