Workplace safety

Did you know that 34 young workers are injured every day in B.C.? Did you know that young workers are more at risk than any other workers? Probably not. And that’s why we are taking the career education class. To help us out when we do get a job or if we already have one.

We started off by watching a very old video that turned out to be very gory however educational.

We would also take notes like the ones below to have for later.

These classes have come at a perfect time because a bunch of people in the class started getting spring and summer jobs. Some of us are still looking for one including me most of us realized we didn’t have much money. Also our parents are making us pay for things more and more. Which is good but no comfortable.

One of the biggest things we learned is the requirements of the employer. Orientation, training and supervision. If your employer hasn’t given you this they are breaking the law.

There are many pages with laws an regulations about workplace safety which are made by WorkSafe BC. An entity from the provincial government that has makes he regulations and enforces them.

We also learned that if you feel that a part of your job is unsafe you have the right to refuse it however you have to immediately report it to your boss so they can investigate. They in turn have to immediately investigate what you said was unsafe. If they find something, they can give you extra training or make a deal on what do to do. If they don’t find anything that imposes a risk, you have to go back to work. If you still find it unsafe, the employer has to report it and bring in somebody from WorkSafe and a worker member of Union you belong to.

My artifact:

I made a short video about workplace safety and how you have to have the proper training before working with my friend Nik.

The point of the video or just an artifact was to show what we’ve been learning in the last few classes.

And it was very fun to film. It is now like the 3rd or 4th video I’ve made with Nik and it’s always a great time. As you can probably tell however we were on a time limit and you could say no budget but we made it work.

This unit has been very useful and helpful. To top it off we take a 25 question quiz about it and if you pass with 75% or more, you get a certificate for life.

Well that’s it. See you soon with another post.