Les Voyageurs (Heritage Minutes)

Back at it again. This time it’s Humanities. I was a Voyageur (which if you don’t know what that is, I can explain later).

My group members were Emerson, Taylor and Kiera. We were assigned the Fur Trade as a topic. But that’s very broad so we narrowed it down to the Voyageurs.

We researched what they did, what they wore, and how they traveled. The Voyageurs were mostly French Canadians who worked as contractors for the Fur companies. They rode canoes up and down rivers across Canada to deliver goods, and receive furs. They tended to be short to have the most space on the canoes. To keep morale up while on their canoes, they sang.

Our initial filming was pretty rushed and way ahead of everybody’s because Kiera was leaving and all of us had busy schedules. However we got the most important footage down. We later had to refilm the talking seems because the French wasn’t good, we had a little profanity, and some of the shots we just thought about better angles.

Here’s our video.

I mostly realized from this project that it is not easy to try and film something and make it look like it’s form another time, partly because you can’t find props from the era. If I were to change something with the video is more preparation for certain shots because we already knew we didn’t have too much time to film.

We finished off by sending the videos from our class to Historica Canada, the company who makes the actual heritage minutes.

We emailed Historical Canada to get some feed back from them. We got responses from Ryan Barnett and Joanne Archibald. Joanne is the Heritage Minutes coordinator.

Well that’s it. See you soon.