Here’s My Canada

A few weeks ago, we started a project called Here’s My Canada, a contest where we had to create a thirty second video answering this question: What Does Canada Mean to You? This may seem like an easy question. “Oh, Canada means maple leaves” “Canada means the place I live”. Those do answer the question, but only touch the surface and aren’t about the big picture. It was a lot more difficult than we all thought it would be.
First of all, some context. This year marks the 150th anniversary of Canada, and in honor of that, there was a contest created by Historica Canada to let youth and children share what they thought it meant to be Canadian. This contest is called Here’s My Canada. We had to create a video no more than thirty seconds sharing what Canada meant to us.

For my video, I filmed clips at different locations in BC including Deep Cove, Downtown Vancouver, and Whistler. I compiled the clips to make a short video of the scenery that I often saw living in Canada. My method was to record dialogue over the film of me describing what Canada meant to me.

To write my script, I focused on three things. First, I focused on how inclusive Canada is. Next, I described how beautiful the landscape is where I live. Lastly, I explained how in Canada you can follow your dreams and pursue your passions, no matter how big or small.

Our whole class made films, which can be found on the Here’s My Canada website. I am proud of how my video turned out and am excited to have had this opportunity. If you would like to see my video, wow! It is conveniently placed right below! I hope you enjoy.