Hello everyone, welcome back to another blog post! Today we finished our latest project which was a group project. For this project the goal was to build an innovative object prototype using the website Tinkercad to create it and then we got our items 3D printed it. So here is the process and how the project went (in short form).Β 

Driving Question:

As you probably know every project has a Driving Question so for this project the Driving Question for this project was β€œHow can we design an object to optimize its shape?”. When I was in the process of designing my bookshelf I created it so that it is made for maximum Volume instead of maximum Surface Area.

Milestone 1-Starting Off:

To start off this project we picked groups with 2-3 people, then we got to choose our objects. But before we could start building our objects on Tinkercad we had to set up accounts on the Tinkercad website. If you do not already know what Tinkercad is, its a online website that lets you design anything you want in 3D. Its a great site because its easy to use and with all the tutorials you can become a pro within minutes.Β 

Milestone 3-Calculations:

After creating our object on TInkercad we then had to do the calculations using the length, width, and height of our object. Throughout milestone 1 and 2 we learned different math on stuff like how to calculate the Surface Area, Volume, Ratio, and sometimes even just work on naming 3D shapes. But after all that we learned all the information and Formulas we needed to complete Milestone 3. This is where stuff started to get tough for me. For most of the worksheets we did on finding Surface Area and Volume I had no clue what I was doing or what the teacher was showing. So I would just do what most other people would β€œask a friend”, however this did not turn out to well. No matter how much they tried to explain everything it just was not making sense. But after a lot of steps backwards came a step forward, I finally understood how to do it. After this I finished all my calculations leaving me with my chart of answers.Β 

Milestone 5-PresentationΒ 

At the end of the project after finishing most of the Milestones we had to complete a few more. One of those Milestones was Milestone 5, presenting. So every group created a keynote presentation with all the calculations, pictures, final numbers, and more. But because we had to present this to the class my group did lots of practicing and presented second. Here is what our presentation looked like.

Curricular Competencies:

Applying and Innovating:

I personally think that me and my group did a pretty good job staying on task and getting all of our work done on time. An example of this is when we finished all of our 3D models early because we were staying on track so we started working on Milestone 3, making both the 3D models and Milestone 3 be handed in on time. Another example of this is when we finished our presentation very quick giving us lots of time to practice, fix mistakes, and make the presentation look better. One thing we could have done better was making sure each of us was working at all times and not playing games but other then that we did a very good job.

Reasoning and Analyzing:Β 

I think I did a very good job creating our 3D projects in the website Tinkercad. The bookshelf I created had a bigger Volume in the end which is why I created it in the intention of it being for maximum Volume and not for maximum Surface Area. My Bookshelf had a total of 10 shapes, 6 rectangular prisms, and 4 cylinders. One thing I could have done differently was maybe add stuff to the shelf like books or maybe a plant, but other then that I’m really happy with my shelf.

Communicating:

We did a very good job all measuring and calculating our own objects for Surface Area and Volume. Then in the end we also found the Total Volume and Total Surface area, as well as the Ratio. A visual example of me exceeding at this skill is up above after the Milestone 3 part (the chart of all my calculations that I did).Β One thing we could have done to extend was subtract the Surface Area and then add all those calculations into our presentation.

In conclusion, I am really happy with how my shelf turned out. But also starting off this project I had not clue how to do any of the math that was needed to complete the calculations but after a while I finally figured it out. So knowing I learned a lot in the end, just makes the finished product so much better. But before you leave go check out my groups blogs Dana and Brooke.

P.S-Not all the 3D models came out well but my bookshelf came out great!