Will you join? Or will you resist?

The question of a lifetime. But you cannot simply answer this question in one sitting, oh no no no. You may ask what we are joining, what we are refusing? Well, our main goal, to get all the colonies (New Brunswick, Canada East, Canada West, P.E.I, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland) to all join together in unison and harmony, into one country that we call Canada. Now this ended all right in actual history, but in PLP 9? We had a different approach to this situation. Honestly, I think we only ended up getting two colonies to sign the Act, which brought us to the conclusion of not having confederation. If we were in the parliament, oh boy, Canada would be messed up. But lucky for you we aren’t, so here we are! 

Most blog posts you think would start out with, this is what we did, how we did it and what competencies we used. But I’m going to take a different look at this and I’m going to decided tell you about my learning. One thing I’m not going to change though is the mention of our driving question: How and why did Canada develop into a nation?

We learnt incredible amounts of knowledge, in a surprising short amount of time. Before this project, I had never used a green screen before, never edited with a green screen, never learnt so deeply about these colonies. Each and every colony was different, I was lucky enough to be part of our proudly french speaking, Canada East, which I might add had the most amount of land at the time. Just a quick flex. I was also lucky enough to get 4 other amazing girls as my group! Julia,  Kaia,  Asha, and Meg all helped each other and me to navigate our way through this problem of joining confederation. Most of this project was based around the competency ‘Evidence’. We showed this through our priliminary proposals at our first Charlottetown conference, and at our final proposals at the Quebec conference. Only one plot twist, our final proposals were required to be a commercial, explaining our conditions and demands our colony needs to join together. 

I feel I showed this competency well, because everytime we presented our proposals, we divided them up and each person got to talk about one proposal. Even though I may be assigned to talk about why Canada East should control the Election system, putting togther these proposals needed everyone’s attention and thought. I learnt so much about why the French culture was not accepted here, in colonies full of loyalists. Especially being in Canada East, we learnt not only about our representatives like George Étienne Cartier and John A Macdonald, but we learnt about making deals and treaties with other colonies, and actually interacting with other people from other colonies. Some examples may be making “imaginary” expansion plans with Canada West to take over Hudon’s Bay Company land, and making sure to “build” a railway from Toronto to Halifax, and eventually all the way to the West Coast of British Columbia! Having this interactive experience was a huge part of my learning, because not only did I get to talk with my peers from other colonies, but create an experience and gain skills like working with other even outside your group, and now getting to apply these to future projects and experiences outside school. 

Getting into the technicals, and our other competency, Create, our group actually had a first and final draft which I think was the best choice for us. Most groups created a video, and were sometimes asked to revise and just didn’t because, oh well the projects over anyways, they thought. My group knew that we could’ve done better on the editing and audio part, but our actual commercial got our message across, and it wasn’t hard to understand what our demands actually were. We were given the chance to revise if we wanted, on our editing and audio part of couse, and we took up that offer. This time we decided to switch the gears of main and supporting editor. Meg and Kaia had edited the first draft, but the final was edited my me and Asha. We made sure to get everybody’s input even if the editing style and people had changed. Our final video didn’t end up too bad, and there not many things I regret about this video. Yes some shots here and there were maybe filmed too close or too far, too long or too wide, but in the end we made it work the best we could with the knowledge and resources, and it wasn’t too shabby in the endgame. 

This blog post was also written in a different style, usually I walk through each and every step but trying something new and stepping out of your comfort zone is really what PLP is about so why not?! 

Now the moment you have all been waiting for… drumroll please…..

I will now show the final commercial video, presented by the proud women of Canada East! 

Thank you for Ms. Maxwell for putting up with us everyday of this project, we appreciate your hard work and dedication!

~Malaika 

Smooth. E.

I guess you could say I LIKE Terms. 

Welcome to a blog post about my favourite subject, math. When I was young, I was fascinated when I was being taught Math and I just loved how everything connects, to me math just makes sense. When we came across Like Terms, to say the least I was excited. 

We started off with building our knowledge on the topic by doing worksheets for practice.  

Once we had the basics down, we were introduced to our project. This project was pretty free standing, we had control over our driving question, group, and what we were going to make. The only condition, it had to be involved with polynomials and like terms. 

Our competencies involved were:

Understanding and solving: Apply multiple strategies to solve problems in both abstract and contextualized situations 

Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

Connecting and Reflecting: Connect mathematical concepts to each other and to other areas and personal interests

Driving Question: How can we make an equation, using like terms & polynomials out of ingredients of a fruit smoothie?

Choosing our own project basically, gave me a chance to show that I can work with my friends and still stay focused on the task at hand. In this rubric you can see what I was being assessed on and how well I did on each.

But how did I get to where I am right now? Well that took a lot of practice in each area, and my project end mind map is our first stop. 

This mind map I made adds to my understanding of the big idea and shows some of the questions I had at the beginning of the project and how I answered them at the end. Starting with our understanding and solving competency, I feel like I accomplished this one. Evidence of that is our project itself. Our group chose to make a smoothie and put its ingredients into an equation involving like terms. This may not be the most clever solution, but it definitely was an abstract situation, and I feel like I made the most of it by applying strategies like weighing each ingredient and putting those numbers in an equation.               

As for the presentation itself, I think we did pretty good. I’m a very social person, and I love talking to people so public speaking has never been that much of a problem for me. I think we spoke clearly and effectively in our presentation, and if I were sitting in the audience I feel I would’ve understood the big idea a bit better. There were some areas that needed clarification on, and that we could’ve explained better to our audience. Some parts of our equation could have been better, for example we didn’t add exponents to our equation which we could’ve done if we were fully invested in this project. Although in the presentation we did use correct terms, like coefficient, like terms, and variable. 

Personalized work was pretty important as well, seeing that you can’t copy anyone’s ideas, or steal anyone’s project to make it your own. I believe that my work and my contribution to this project was personalized, and authentic. I created all the keynotes slides and for each I put in authentic work. I’m also being assessed on my blog post for this competency. All my work and posts on my blog is always 100% original, I write about my original experiences and my own reflections. This post is no different, I’m putting an honest reflection and I think reflecting honestly is what helps me improve in the future. 

Thanks to my group, Emily and Liam, for helping me through this project and for Mr. Gross for teaching us all we need to know about Like Terms and Polynomials! 

~Malaika 

MPOLS 2020

You can probably already tell that this blog post is going to be long, and if you guessed that, you are correct. Its mPOL season baby! mPOL stands for Midyear Presenation of Learning, and its our chance to showcase our learning, and our growth as a learner, from the start of this school year to right now. Now that I have a full year of PLP under my belt, I’d like to say I’m going into this a bit more confident going into this mPOL. My last tPOL (Transitional Presentation of Learning) was in my words, actually really great because not only did I have good content, I brought something physical in to represent my learning! Using this tactic again this year, will enhance my performance and content as a whole and I think it will make my point very clear. 

As you know each project comes with a driving question, and like those projects this mPOL presenation too, has a driving question.

Driving Question: What is your learning goal that you want to reach by the end of this school year, and how will you meet it? 

I will go through each subject, give an example of 2 projects in that subject; one I think I succeeded as a learner as, and one I felt I needed to set a goal to achieve and become a better learner in that area. 

HUMANITIES

Humanities is a diverse subject for PLP students. It combines Social Studies, History, Geogrpahy and English all into one. When I see the driving question (above) I think of our project Revoutions Through the Ages. This project interested me the moment it was introduced. Our groups were made, and our task? Creating 4 different videos (plus an extra one at the end) for 4 different Revolutions. At the end, we would make a video about the revolution of our choice. There were 4 types of videos to choose from: Act it out (acting out scenes and having voiceover), rap/song (create a song, music and a music video about the revolution of choice), Animation (an animate video explaining the events occurred in said revolution), and John Green style (a sit down, spittin facts kind of video). Our group chose to make a song first, because we thought it would be the hardest, just to get it over with. This was probably the best decision we made throughout, because most groups struggled with making songs later, when we were supposed to be improving. Each video made, was more improvement in video skills, and learning of the 4 revolutions. Our first song was about the French Revolution, and our group connected so much with this one, it became our last revolution-choice in the end. The information was good, but the song and video skills, could’ve been better. Next we chose Act it out with the American Revolution, Animation with Russian and we almost made a video about the Industrial Revolution but ended up just learning about it so we could jump straight to our group revolution-choice video. The “Act it out” style stuck with us and so did the concept of the French Revolution. This is where I explain why I put this project into the succeded pile. This project was a lot of work and I lost a lot of sleep just editing and working on getting the right shots. It improved my time mangement skills, and definitely helped me achieve the concept of Habit 3: Putting First things First. If you compare our first video to our last, you can see the improvement, and honestly I can see the improvements I’ve made, how that helped in this particular project and I’ve developed skills like learning how to film a shot properly, where and how to add the proper soundtracks, and of course the added knowledge of 4 revolutions that went down into history. 

A project I think I could’ve done better at was the Alberta “This Land is Us” project. Although the I got an Accomplished mark, I, as a learner don’t feel like I worked hard enough during the actual Alberta trip (when we were supposed to be collecting information), vs after we came back from the province. I’m not saying I didn’t do any work in Alberta and just fooled around the whole time, but I would say 50% of the time I wasn’t fully engaged in my work and was more concerned about the drama around who likes who and the latest gossip. This is something I want to work on for the future, when going on these field schools being more focus on the task at hand while also balancing my social life. In the end I pulled through and created something that I’m actually proud of, which you can judge for yourself by watching it below. 

MAKER 

Maker is also a subject that varies in topics. RUN, the title of a short horror film that we were to recreate, using our techonolgy at hand (our iPads and the apps on it). Let me just say right now, this projet was a total disaster for my group. Between our filming, shots, planning, and editing, a lot went wrong. Even in this situation, time mangement was a problem. And its becoming to be something that raising a red flag, which tells me it’s something I need to work on until the end of the year. 

As you can see our version isn’t nearly as good as the original but it showcases some skills that we have and its not that bad in my opinion. 

We’ve made lots of videos in the school year of 2019/2020 and there are more to come! One video I was especially proud of was Live Event. This was a pretty free standing project, only guidelines were to film an event of our choice, and have certain camera shots in the final video (i.e. freeze frame, ken burns photos…). I’m proud of this video because it turned out exactly how I wanted it too, and I got to film something that I’m very passionate about, soccer! 

Live event gave me the creative freedom to film whatever I wanted and still follow some guidelines. This showcases my video skills I acquired during the revolution project and I think that shows my growth as a learner, not only learning the skills but using them in real life.

SCIMATICS

Aah, scimatics! One of my favourites. I’ve been attached to math ever since I was young, so when we started out with a math project I couldn’t have been more thrilled. Little did I know, a challenge was up ahead for me. I was paired with Jude DeVille! I was paired with someone I’d never thought I’d work with. I’m not saying Jude was a hard person to work with, but that we, both, weren’t used to each other’s learning styles. It was my first time working with someone I didn’t know very well and I think that experience has brought me a whole new set of skills and opened up lots of doors for the future. This skill is very important to have because in the future I’m going to be working (and competing) against people I’ve never met before! The start of this project, I’ll admit, was quite rocky but in the end it turned for the better and we made a really cool game that I would play in real life! I think the project itself could’ve used equations and exponents better but I’m still proud that I got to share our ideas to the class. 

Scimatics had a lot of good things in store for me, and I always thought they would be math related but turns out chemstry’s my calling! We started a chemistry unit, learning about atoms, ions, and different elements on the periodic table. Once we really got into it, we started to talk about Alkali Metals, Alkaline Earth Metals, Gases, Transition Metals, all kinds of different things.  Turns out, I’m not that bad at memorizing chemical names and mixing elements to create a compound! And of course, it wouldn’t be PLP without having to make a video right? Absolutely right! So we created a video on the chemical bonding of a polyatomic ion and a multivalent metal, and the bonding of 2 elements. I really think I excelled here because, again, using my video making skills I think I created something really great out of an app (Explain Everything) that I’d never thought would actually be helpful. I chose Gold (I) Carbonate and HydroChloric Acid as my 2 bonding atoms. 

PGP 

Last year, I had a really great experience in PGP (once I actually started to use the 7 habits and pay attention in class!). I’m happy to say, so far, this year is going pretty good as well. We have only done 2 official assignments in this course. First being a reflection on the Alberta Field Study and second being Take Your Kid to Work Day. TYKTWD was probably one of my favourite projects this year. I got the opportunity to go to my dads work and I went on a orginized tour that his union set up! It was such an amazing opportunity that I got to showcase, once again, everything I’ve learnt in PLP. I interviewed a complete stranger, filmed a lot, and even got some information about the company itself. 

One area where I wish I did better was when I was editing, I put everything different order and not chronological, so it looked very jumbled to me. We practiced this during the revolution project, and the reason it looked sort of messy was because of my time management skills. This has come up many times throughout the year, and it’s a goal that I want to achieve by the end of the year. There are lots of tools, apps, people and widgets that can help me with achieving this goal of being more efficient and managing my time properly, and I intend to start using my resources if I haven’t already. 

I leave you with this question:

Do you agree that time mangement is a skill I need to work on and by using my resources, do you think that its a goal that I can achieve by the end of the school year? 

Thank you for reading my blog post (I know it was long!). I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to always give an honest evaluation of my progress. We discussed my strengths and weaknesses. Thank you for reading and offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner! 

~Malaika 

TikTokin’ while I’m Walkin’

Another Tiktok post? 

I know what your thinking, whats up with all the Tik-Talk? *badum-tssss*

Curricular competencies for this project included: 

EN 9: Communicate- How do I share my own ideas when I write, speak and represent? 

SS 9: Establish Historical Significance- How do we evaluate evidence to decided if it is adequate to support a historical conclusion?

SS 9: Analyze Cause and Consequence- Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events? 

Well as you may have been enlightened, PLP 9 has taken on the responsibility of answering this driving question: How can we use memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism? Now, you simply cannot answer this question in just one sitting, so thats why over the past month we’ve broken each part of this question down, starting with a meme. Wait, what really is a meme? That was our first question that we aimed to answer. 

We explored and went into depth about what a meme was, I started to realize a meme is more than just a funny picture with a caption. I learnt that a meme is an idea, a unit of behaviour passed through and from society to society, person to person. What better example to show this through, than TikTok? The reason you can scroll through TikTok for hours and not get bored is because each creator, each user puts his or her own twist on a sound or video. 

Your probably wondering where historical significance comes into this, and when we were learning, we were wondering this as well. Now that we knew what a meme was, we started to talk about how we can tell what is significant and what isn’t. We did an assignment worksheet, that showed evidence that we understood and honestly my worksheet could’ve been better. We were asked to choose an event that we thought was significant and show evidence as to why we think its significant. 

I admit that I didn’t pick the best event, and the feedback was quite accurate. I believe that if I had chosen a different event, I think my argument could’ve been better. 

Around this time we started to merge into the concept of nationalism. We talked about what exactly a nation was, and this mind map was shown to us. 

I referenced this mind map whenever my thoughts got mixed up, just to remind myself about what the root word of nationalism means. We went through case studies, and tests and finally we were ready to mix the 2 concept together. Our final task? Milestone 5: We must create 3 memes that demonstrate the characteristics of a meme, but also include our knowledge of nationalism and its significance and consequence as a force around the world. 

Using 3 different situations that we studied in class, I created 2 TikToks and a Meme, (hopefully) showing how nationalism can be tied into this and which sides were nationalists! I think I demonstrated the competency Communicate very well, I knew what message I wanted to send and I think I did that through my meme and TikToks. I think the execution could’ve been better, but my ideas were in the right direction. I’ll get many more chances this year to work on my execution of projects, and thats a goal I’m setting until the end of the year. 

#1: This meme represents Germany becoming allies with Austria and both of them deafeating Denmark. After this event, Germany was on its way to victory, and they didn’t need Austria standing in the way. An unexpected twist can lead to fatal consequences in Austrias case. 

#2: A TikTok that represents the events and conflict between Africa and industrialized Europe? Rare, but here it is. After factories were produced in Europe, materials, labour, and supplies were needed to keep them running. Africa could provide all those things for Europe, and the opportunity presented itself and soon the Europeans took over Africa. 

#3: Our last TikTok of the day, similar to the Europeans and Africans, the British and the Indians had struggles of their own. Although the British didn’t barge in a take everything, they barged in and started colonizing the country, by adding British education, British schools, the English language and forcin people to convert to Christianity. 

Ending on a high note, I think I succeded at demonstrating 2 competencies overall, Analyze Cause and Consequence and Communicate. I understand what I needed to do for Establishing Historical Significance, and I’m not saying I completely bombed it, but I could’ve shown that I understood a bit better. Maybe choosing a different event, or making the British character look more, well, British! 

~Malaika 

Charli D’amelio? Is that you?

No, in fact, this is not Charli D’amelio, its your average PLP student writing about TikTok. You read right, today is all about TikTok.This app has taken the world and now Seycove’s PLP 9 by storm, and we’ve taken on the challenge of learning about it, its characteristics and how it can tie into nationalism! Sounds pretty complex? I’ll break it down for you. Our driving question is about how we can use memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism. Still sounds crazy? Richard Dawkins wrote a book in 197, arguing that the concept of Darwinian Evolution can be applied to, basically, memes. Darwinian evolution is the concept of natural selection, the ones with the stronger genes get passes down and live on, and the weaker ones die. A meme can be described as a unit of behaviour passes through person to person, each adding their own twist to it. TikTok comes into the play here, because even though the sound, audio, or music is the same, each user puts their twist on it. That is why you can scroll for hours and never get bored, because there’s always something new to watch.

Take this sound for an example: “Sunday Best” by Surfaces

It has been modified a bit, but making a video to this sound essentially means you are showing your “2019 Rewind” and each person shows highlights from their 2019. Every video is different, because each person is sharing their life and experiences that no one else can take from them.

All this talk about TikTok, why don’t we try for ourselves? Well thats what we did, we got into groups and tried 3 popular trends on TikTok for ourselves.

#1: Dance Trend!

#2: Creative Effects!

#3: Memes!

How do you think we did? I think we are pretty close to making a PLP Hype House!

~Malaika

Humanities: The Story (The Story Strikes Back)

*This blog post only focuses on Humanities competencies and milestones. Click here to access the Maker blog post for this project*

Happy new year everyone! This is my first blog post in a new decade and I’m very excited to say that it is about our annual Winter Exhibiton (2020 edition!). Now most blog posts, us PLP students are required to write about our competencies, and usually we have 3-4 that we are mainly assessed on. But for this one, oh boy, there were many competencies to learn about, and to accomplish.

If you have read my Maker post, you know that we started out with writing an opinion piece, based on what we learnt that class. In the class we talked about why we should care about Star Wars, what the reasons were for us to be studying this in humanities. After what we touched on in that class, which was learning about the Hero’s Journey created by Jospeh Campbell, a so-called 17 step journey every hero goes through and how George Lucas incorporated that into the universe that is Star Wars. Looking back, my opinion piece does show some signs of the competency “Expressing and Supporting Opinions: Express an opinion and support it with credible evidence”. I think I accomplished that, but the evidence part could’ve have been a bit more clearer. Reading it now, I realize this and I think that shows my growth throughout this project, knowing I can come back and reflect on what needs work.

We stepped away from Star Wars for a second, and started to work on short stories, and learning about the structure, the literary terms, and the language of one. Using our understanding of literacy terms and short stories, we completed a short story test that demonstrated our understanding. But we couldn’t just write a test out of the blue, no no no, we did lots of reading. We read all kinds of short stories, examples include “The Sea Devil” by Arthur Gordon, “The Veldt” by Ray Bradbury, “The Old Woman” by Elizabeth Brewster and “Penny in the Dust” by Ernest Buckler. We would highlight new terms, then learn about them in class. Once we had a sufficient understanding of these terms, we would record them in our short story chart.

This chart shows our literary terms, plus how they apply to each story. Take “Penny in the Dust” by Ernest Buckler, I highlighted the story according to where I thought the literary terms were, then we went into class learnt about the new terms and I added it to my short story chart.

In my eyes, this shows the competency “Literary Identification and Analysis”, and I think its safe to say I accomplished this one pretty well. I think I could’ve been better at demonstrating “The Writing Process” competency. Yes, I added the terms to a chart, but I didn’t show planning, creating, assessing, or refining the original very well, and if this competency comes up (and I’m sure it will), I’d like to take another crack at it.

I blinked, and suddenly we were sitting in front of a short story test on a Monday morning. I wasn’t sure what to think of this test, usually I’d know if I didn’t know my materials, but overall I felt confident and I knew what I wanted to write. We also did a quick unit around writing a review, so that came in handy in parts 2 and 3 of the test.

Now that I had an understanding of literary terms, and the knowledge of how to write a short story AND a review, it was time to bring Star Wars back into the mix. You can probably guess, but I’ll spell it out just in case. We were writing short stories, about our groups chosen character from the movies. We chose a character that wasn’t focused on in the movies. Ours? General Hurst Romodi, a high general that serves on the Death Star. Only problem, his past. We had seven parts or ‘chapters’ in this story and each were 250-300 words, so we had to keep it short. This is where our group planned who was doing which part, and what was going to be written in the actual parts.

Our first attempt at this could’ve been better, but we all had talked about it so we didn’t feel the need to write ALL of it down. Looking back, I wish we had written our ideas down so that I could show this to you guys, and my teachers to show that we really did learn stuff and we weren’t just robots sitting in class doing nothing.

After this, we came back to the opinion piece, and wrote one more. But this wasn’t just an opinion, it was a review about one of the “Star Wars’ films of our choice. I decided to review “A New Hope”, because it is my favourite in the whole franchise. You can click the link to read the full blog post, but heres a little sneak peek.

Here I think I showed the “Evidence” competency pretty well, and I’m proud because I didn’t do that before. Here’s where the Maker part comes in. This where we actually started writing our stories, mine being Part 3: The Battle Against Good, and constructing our artifact to bring our characters Hero’s Journey to life. The competencies attached, I have done them before but that doesn’t mean I don’t have to worry about them. I feel I kept my game up to par, and accomplished these competencies.

After our stories were approved, refined and polished, we started on our set design, that brings our story together and to life in an interactive for our audience at the Winter Exhibition. Our area, for the Death Star, was the library, so we couldn’t start setting up until the day of the exhibition, December 19. So planning and getting supplies was the only thing we could do. But soon came the day of, and we got straight to work. Emily and I had put in some nights before, making the activity and helping with food. But it all came together in the end, and we displayed our artifacts and our stories with them.

Overall, I think my growth as a learner improved because frankly I thought I wasn’t capable of writing a short story, but through all that research and time spent actually learning, I wrote in my eyes a pretty good short story.

If you want to read my groups full story about Hurst Romodi, you can go check out their blogs, Alex, Anders, Emily, Anthony, Jude, and Gabe.

The video down below is about how I created my artifact, the PA mic, on the Maker side of things.

I want to say a huge thank you to all the teachers who put up with us, despite all the frustration! Thank you for sticking with us and helping us become better people, we appreciate it very much!

~Malaika

Maker: The Presentation (The Story Strikes Back)

*This blog post only focuses on Maker competencies and milestones. Click Here to access the Humanities blog post for this project.

Happy new year everyone! This is my first blog post in a new decade and I’m very excited to say that it is about our annual Winter Exhibiton (2020 edition!). Now most blog posts, us PLP students are required to write about our competencies, and usually we have 3-4 that we are mainly assessed on. But for this one, oh boy, there were many competencies to learn about, and some were reused. 

Milestones are checkpoints where we can show and demostrate our competencies. 6 milestones for Maker: The Presentaion and 7 milestones for Humanities: The Story, gave me plenty of times to show my growth as a learner. This blog post will include complete evidence of how I grew as a learner and where I could improve as a learner for Maker.

First we were introduced to Star Wars, and why the heck should we care about it? We wrote an opinion piece, based on our acquired knowledge in that class. We touched on the Hero’s Journey, Joseph Campbell (the creator of the Hero’s Journey), and George Lucas (the creator of Star Wars). You can see this opinion piece in the humanties post, links are at the top and bottom of this post. 

Next came a 2 pitch forms along with the competency “Asking Hard Questions.

This required us to identify what could go wrong or right throughout this project. And let me tell you right now, a lot could’ve gone wrong. Honestly, I admit this was hard, becuase I didn’t want to admit that I could fail, but I inevitably had to accept it, and exploit my weeknesses. 

During this process we were constantly adding to our LAUNCH journal in Explain Everything, which I will once back too. We exported whatever we had added to our journal to the teachers, and feedback was given on where I could improve my plans for creating my P.A Mic. 

As we arrived in the Navigate stage in the LAUNCH process, we were required to make a mini-video, showing a step-by-step plan that identifies key stages and resources, makng changes as needed and using the appropriate tools, materials, and technologies for production. I know, its a lot of fancy words but it essentially means showing my plan for building my artifact (that was to be shown at the Winter Exhibiton; my P.A mic.) I feel I showed this well, but looking back at it, I could’ve been a bit more organized and detailed which is something I’ve wanted to work on for Destination Imagination 2020, so we’ll see what I can do! 

My mini-video did pretty well in the eyes of Ms. Maxwell and she approved my idea and plan! 

After I was approved, this is where the actual manual labor came in. Of course I created a blueprint, but ideas did change, and you’ll see that in the next parts. The only worst part, I didn’t know how it would turn out, and usually I have a set plan in mind, but I was still bouncing around with ideas. Ideas about how to build the base, with what materials? What model can I base mine off of? Small questions like that worried me. One night I had nothing to do, so I decided to sit down with some cardboard and just see where it takes me. 

I started out thinking that base was just a prototype, and I’d build a better one later, but over time I decided to take it further and use it. I had an idea to build the tube with clay, and I was about to follow through when I found a white tube in the back of my storage room. I know, not the most ideal place to find it, but once I cleaned and painted it, it was more that satisfactory and effective than the clay. I was glad I used materials in a way that minimize waste, because after the Exhibiton I would’ve just thrown away the clay, but I can still use this tube for future projects! 

This is where I created a Prototype Revison Grid, to help me when I was reflecting.

It is featured in my H-Fail Evidence video. As you can see it highlights my strengths and weaknesses, and shows me what I need to work on. 

The H-Fail Evidence video was one of my favourites to create and watch, and I feel I did a pretty good job on showing a reflection of how I hit a dead end, and how I recollected myself and found another way by reusing an idea from before! (Hint hint, the clay!;)

As you saw, I reused my clay idea, and it worked out pretty well. 

This all goes into something called my LAUNCH Portfolio. I mentioned this earlier, but this was introduced to this last year, and we used it in keynote. We add everything that happens log the projects according to the categories. 

L- Look, Listen Learn

A- Ask a ton of Questions 

U- Understanding the process 

N- Navigate 

C- Create 

H- Highlight and Fix

This year, we were given the creative freedom to animate our LAUNCH journal in Explain Everything! If you read any blog post of mine, that mentions Explain Everything, I always mention how our class despises the app, after its notorious acts of deleting carefully constructed projects and just crashing when we are working. I’ve done some research on the app and I learnt how to use some tools to my advantage, and I think it has enhanced my videos quite a bit now. 

FINAL LAUNCH PORTFOLIO

My final LAUNCH portfolio is down below, you can track my learning process and see how I improved as a learner throughout this project. I think I showed growth by learning how to use Explain Everything to my advantage, and keeping a postive mindset about it, which is something new for me when using Explain Everything. I think I showed growth by reusing the clay for a different purpose, it was definitely something I didn’t expect from myself and I’m proud to say that I’ve expanded creatively throughout this project. I think I could work on having priorities, being orginized and detailed with my project but I think it all came together into something I am proud of. 

Go check out my Humanties: The Story blog post, the other side of this project by clicking here! 

~Malaika

Chemistry Stories

What is up BrOS? Get it? Oh I know, I know, all my chemistry jokes are bad becuase all the good ones Argon! 

Welcome to Chemistry Stories, behind the scenes. How did I make this video? Well thats what I’m going to go through with you today. I’m going to talk about the curricular competencies we used for this project, and my improvements and what I could improve for the future! 

Believe it or not, I created this animation using…. EXPLAIN EVERYTHING! Yeah I know. All of the PLP kids despise this app because it has deleted projects countless times, and glitches almost regularly. But since its updated, its actually been pretty good for me! I learned all its tools in Maker class, and used them in Scimatics for this animation project. 

Our project overview is above and our driving questions was “How do atoms and ions act like characters?”. Let me tell you something about atoms, I don’t trust them, I heard they make up everything! *badum tssss* Aside from the jokes, we started with the basics, learning what the heck atoms and ions are! We did worksheets upon worksheets just to get the concept in our heads, each getter a bit more challenging than the next. I wanted to go one step further so I sat in my living room and searched up ions, what they do, metals, I even dipped my toes into the concept of organic metals! To me, this demonstrates our first competency, Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or a problem of personal interest. 

Since we are speaking of competencies, our second competency, Communicating: Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon. My evidence for accomplishing this competency is the Mind-Map that we created at the start of this project. 

We started with a mind map and we ended with a mind map. Compare my project-start mind map with my project-end mind map!

Processing and Analyizing: construct, analyze and interpret graphs (models, diagrams, ANIMATIONS) Our third and last competency. I demonstrated this through our animation! I have to say my animation skills through Explain Everything, improved drastically. I’m using this app for humaties projects, WILLINGLY! Thats a first. But the information going into this animation was very important. We had learnt about ionic bonding, and covalent bonding and showed this through the ionic bonding of Carbonate and Gold (II) and the covalent bonding of Hydrogen and Chlorine! I posted the video at the top but if you want to watch it again here it is. 

Now that I’ve told you about my competencies, and how I demonstrated them, I received feedback on how Mr. Gross thought I did. 

Do you guys agree? I’m pretty happy with my grade and I’m really proud of the outcome. It was better than I expected!

Now lets end with a chemistry joke, completely out of context and uncalled for. 

~Malaika 

A New Hope… for more than just the Rebellion

Creating a review, writing a review, may seem like just saying whether you liked the book, movie etc.. or not. But PLP 9 dove deep into what it actually means to write a review, how to write a review, why you should write a review, basically we took apart the aspects of writing a review. So after all these tests, and assignments and stepping stones, what better way to learn how to write a review, actually writing one. I reviewed the move “Episode IV: A New Hope”, the first released movie in the franchise of Star Wars. I thought it would be a good movie to review, hence we are learning about the Hero’s Journey through Star Wars in school.

My group consists of 6 wonderful people: Alex , Jude, Emily, Gabe,  Anders and Anthony and we are turning the Seycove library into the Death Star, shown to the public on December 19th, 2019 for the Winter Exhibiton.

All this talk about my review, why not read it?

What’d you think? Do you feel the same way? Do you agree? Or would you like to give me feedback and critique? Well I encourage you to let me know in the comments! It would be a great help to me if you did.

~Malaika

Radical Reflection Time!

Judging from the title, you can probably assume that this is another reflection post! I should be pretty good at this because thats pretty much all we do in PLP reflect, reflect and reflect some more. What might be surprising, is that this is the last week of the Student Blogging Challenge 2019/2020! It went by so fast, or so it feels! I’m going to talk about my participation, but not only reflect but celebrate my posts and what I think I improved, and what I could do better when writing blog posts! Lots to cover, so lets get into it.

It would be so easy to say what posts I think I did well on, and where I could improve right? Yes, but it wouldn’t be an SBC post without tasks!

TASK NUMERO UN

Taking a survey! Sounds easy? Lets see how I did it!

Everything I said was truthful I swear I love SBC!!

TASK NUMERO DEUX

• How many weeks of the challenge did you participate in?

I participated in all 8 weeks! I even did the Student Blogging Challenge last year! I mentioned that in my video up above.

• How many posts did you write in the 8 week period?

I wrote a total of 8 posts for the SBC but excluding SBC I’ve written at lest 6 or 7 learning portfolio posts just for school, so I do use my blog for more than just SBC!

• How many comments did you receive from classmates, teachers, or other visitors?

I received 5 comments, 2 from teachers around the world, a student in my class and 2 students commented from New Zealand!

• Which post did you enjoy writing the most and why?

I mentioned that it was a tie between Week 2: Quality Commenting and Week 5: Music  but inevitably, Week 2 won because I got at least 3 comments telling me what a good job the post was, and it even go mentioned in the weeks recap! I’m most proud of that one, and thats why I chose it as my favourite. Plus I even made a meme for that one, so how could I go wrong?!

• Which web tools did you use to show creativity on your blog?

I’ve used links, a little bit of HTML coding but I’ve used MetaSliders the most through out my time on this blog! I have over 20 different sliders and I’m sure I’m going to keep making more! My goal for the rest of this year is to learn and use more tools than just the basics!

• What are your plans for your blog now? Will you keep posting?

Of course I’ll keep posting! I use this blog for school purposes as well, and instead of writing essays we write reflection, and learning portfolio posts! You can check out most of my PLP projects and learn about them in detail from just scrolling down from home site!

TASK NUMERO TROIS

I’ve met lots of different students and teachers and I’ve also visited their blogs. I’ve become a regular visitor on their blogs and vice versa so I’ll definitely keep in contact with them! I’ll keep on writing my posts about my projects and work and most likely every time you visit my blog you’ll see something new!

This a farewell from my-2019-Student-Blogging-Challenge-self! See you next year SBC, thanks for a great time.

Thank you to all the teachers who arranged this challenge, its become very important to me! Thank you for being dedicated to helping us kids become better people for the future, I appreciate it.

~Malaika

© 2020 Malaika Javer

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑