Hey, Can I Get Your Number?

In your average science or math class you usually do lots of lessons at the beginning of a unit. After that, you take a quiz, study, and then a test. This kind of format is great for learning things quick but it often has no connection to the real world. In Scimathics however, things are a little different. 

Over the last two weeks Scimathics 10 has been working on a quick little partner project called cell phone systems. In this project we used linear equations, algebra and graphing with slope intercept form to calculate certain costs of different real world cell phone plans. We graphed them and found out which plan was the cheapest when data roaming out of country. I was partnered with Maggie and we quickly got to work. We got the research done quickly and put it into a document so we could easily access it. Unfortunately after this, Maggie was counselling at outdoor school and wasn’t back until presentation day. While she was away she definitely made a good contribution though. 

With graphing and slope intercept form, it’s the kind of thing where it clicks in your mind and then you get it. Once you get it you can apply the basic concept universally. I applied my math knowledge to solve the problem graphically and algebraicly and then put it into a presentable form as a keynote. For all of the graphing I used Desmos and all of the algebra writing in notability.

My graph with green as Rogers, blue as Freedom and red as Fido

Overall this was a pretty fun project. Similar to our last one called Flow Like Water but definitely more relatable to me and it definitely used more complex math than flow like water. My favourite part was probably graphing in Desmos because of how perfect the graphs look even though it was very complicated at first.