My Time Machine

My personal growth plan is a plan that I set for my self all the way back in the fall. It’s a deal with my teachers and my self that says I will continue to grow as a learner. It says I will try my best to follow my plan and the goals that I set for myself. There have definitely been ups and downs in the journey but right now I feel confident in my work and my growth as a learner. I feel confident in my personal growth plan.

My original growth plan (created In October last year)

Our most recent project for our personal growth plan is the time machine. The time machine is a project that’s designed in a really unique and creative way. The goal of any students time machine is to create a project (any form) that would’ve helped them with their PGP if they had it at the beginning of the year.

I thought about what I wanted to do for a while. After wandering from idea to idea I finally landed on doing a video. I decided to create a video because I can incorporate video and audio, along with lots of tools at my disposal to make a more effective and convincing project.

My tool of choice

Because our personal growth plan unit was not on the timetable, all of PLP would have meetings every month or two. Here we would discuss what the point of staying on your growth path is and what we would do next. Over the course of the year we were given three main topics to focus on. First we got goal setting which is pretty self explanatory except we learned new strategies to make goals more effective and which types of goals to make, we call these smart goals. Next we learned productivity. Productivity is pretty much organization and time management. In PGP i learned to use apps like calendar and things to their full potential, but that is all explained in my video. Lastly I looked that this book called “The 7 Habits to Highly Effective Teens”. This book teaches and explains 7 habits that you can get into that help your life in every aspect. From your social life to your personal life and everything in between.

The book we read!
Our main productivity apps!

In my Time Machine I focus heavily on one of these habits called sharpen the saw. Of course when I show this I also tie it into all my other learning but the main focus of my video is habit number 7 which is called sharpen the saw. This habit pretty much demonstrates how to keep balance in your life and how to make sure you keep everything in your life at a healthy level.

Sharpen your saw!

Now not only as a learner but as a human being I am definitely happy I took this course. At times this course was definitely hard and it really pushed my limits in terms of creative expression and deep, long term, effective reflection. Throughout the year, there definitely were times I was frustrated, times I didn’t like the course and wanted to stop. Looking back on this I realize that sometimes it takes a struggle to push you down and be able to rise back up stronger than ever. I have changed as a person, even if these are only minor changes, changes that don’t make me a “new” person and things that don’t consider to be life changing, it’s still great to know that it’s possible to become a better you.

here are my 4 creative reflections from start to finish

To become a learner who is open minded, willing to learn and up for a challenge isn’t easy. Even today, after the course I’m definitely not always all three or not even necessarily any of them at all times but when I put my mind to it and I focus on work I can definitely say I am an effective learner. I think I succeeded in this course. From last minute time blocking to cramming in the goal setting worksheets last minute to critical, reflective and evaluative thought PGP has definitely been a ride and I’m happy I have something to show for it.