Chemistry coding👾

Hello there,

I’m back with another post-project blog post.

For the past 3 weeks I’ve been back in my Scimatics classroom and gathering information about chemical elements, states of matter, and how they react with each other.

Again like any other PLP project we had a driving question:

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

Our first assignment was to make a mind-map about what we already knew about atoms, matter, and the kinetic molecular theory. I wrote down some statements but a majority of my lines were questions about the topic and the project.

We began to build knowledge on density of different matter. In groups, we learned to measure the density of a gemstone using water. This was a fun way to understand the concept of measuring the density of an object because it was interactive and we physically did it our selves.

Basically the amount of water that rises when the object is put in the beaker, is the density of the object.

To further build our understanding, we read some textbook pages and competed workbooks that corresponded to the reading. These were kinda annoying but served their purpose.

Apart from the work above, we also built knowledge about how we were gonna complete the final product which was a coded game based on these topics.

Our coding platform was a coding website called scratch which was a easy but strong coding website.

Using this platform, I created an interactive trivia game about the kinetic molecular theory in about 3 days!

Curricular competencies

Questioning and predicting:

In this competency I reached the accomplished mark on my rubric which is good place to be. As I worked on my game, my progress grew because of how I used my class time efficiently.

Scientific communication:

I also reached the accomplished mark on my rubric because even though different states of matter weren’t strongly shown, I did show a historical model of multiple atoms.

Reasoning and analyzing:

This was my best competency out of the three because my game was really interactive. Even though the graphics weren’t the best or the theme didn’t vary a lot, it was very interactive. About 2 thirds of my game required the player to answer questions or interact using arrow keys.

Overall I think this was a fun project even though it was pretty short.

Bye for now👋