People and the Environment 🌲

Welcome back to a recap project Número uno of humanities 9.

We started our project by researching local environmental issues in Canada, BC, Vancouver, or even in deep cove. We then chose what kind of issue we were going to try to make a change to and chose who we were going to write to. I chose to write to Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, Rob Fleming because my letter topic was about reaching the ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) act at a sooner date.

Our driving question for this project was “How do people and the environment affect each other?”. To learn how to answer this we completed 8 different Commonlit readings which were about how rising water and pollution affect humans and their homes. Along the readings there were questions that varied between multiple answer, paragraph form, and sentence form that helped us improve our writing skills.

My answer to the driving question.                                                                                         People affect the environment in hundreds of negative ways like  too much construction, cutting down forests for farming, and sending toxic emissions into the air while  driving,  and creating more single use items and gases that make their way to oceans, forest, and air.                                          The environment affects people in mainly positive ways like cleaning our air and oceans, growing life, providing food for us, and much more. Overall I  don’t think humans appreciate what nature does for us and the environment.

After researching our topic and presenting our research to our teachers, we started our first couple drafts of our letters.

• Covalent bonding storyboard

At the same time we were also preparing to write connections between one of the reading that connects best with our letter. I chose to make mine about a man who works at a dangerous chemical plant who not only hurts himself, but hurts the environment, the local wildlife, and a big portion of the USA’s fish. I chose this reading because I could connect several points of my letter to the reading. Although some parts were hard to understand I still got a ☀️.

After several revisions, we finally finished our letters and were ready to be sent. Our teachers thought it would be a “Great Idea” to walk in the rain and deliver our letters ourselves to a local mailbox. But there was a surprise when we got to deep cove, we each got a single Timbit from Tim Hortons to reward us for completing the first project of PLP 9. On the way back we took some photos and dropped our letters in the mailbox.

This project was one of the better ones because we learned new ways to protect the earth and stop harming it.