7 Habits to become an effective person ☑️

For the past 3 and a half months we have been working on learnig Sean Covey’s 7 habits by reading his book, filling out workbooks, and trying to implement these habits into our lives.

Each couple of weeks we would come together as a class and make a set of notes and examples for each habit that we learned.

The 7 habits and their meanings go in this order: 1. Be Proactive – Take responsibility of your own life, plan ahead, make purposeful actions, 2. Begin with the en in mind – See yourself in the future and what you’ve accomplished, find your life principles, work backwards with the end in mind, have a specific purpose in mid to guide your actions, 3. Put first things first – Prioritize, work to be effective by completing important things first, make proactive work, 4. Think win-win – if i can win – so can you mentality, mutual benefit , 5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood – communicate, be a good listener, see where they are coming from, be considerate, mirror their energy, 6. Synergize – clarify the end in mind, explore alternatives, Seek first to understand, then to be understood , 7. Sharpen the saw – preserving and enhancing the greatest asset you have – you!, rebuild yourself.

I think that there’s a lot to learn from this book from continuing to sharpen your life or completely change your entire lifestyle. Something I Liked most about it was that there were so many simple examples and practices to help you achieve great potential. Usually in books it says it takes time, utter will, and great strength and dedication but I found that this book is very mellow and easy to follow.

The one thing I didn’t like about the book was that each chapter was really long. There were about 100 pages between each chapter which made it hard to be consistent with reading.

We started reading this book a little bit after starting Destination Imagination and we finished about 2 weeks ago. Personally I learned lots from this book like self organization, seeing different perspectives of people, and renewing myself.

The workbooks we completed were habit-related. They weren’t exactly questions, they were mainly just ways to express your opinions and ideas on some parts of each habit. I thought the workbooks were great because they weren’t like the usual scimatics textbooks and workbooks and because it helped me shape the ways I could use these habits in my own life.

Finally now that were at the end of this project, we now have to show our understanding of learning by making 3 different presentations of our understanding of these 3 categories that all 7 habits fall into: Communication: How do I use the 7 Habits to communicate and collaborate, and develop habits to support my growth as a learner?, Thinking: How do I use the 7 Habits to think creatively, critically, and reflectively to support my growth as a learner?, and Personal and Social:

How do I use the 7 Habits to develop personal and social awareness and responsibility and positive personal and cultural identity to support my growth as a learner?

The way that the presentations would be different is the way the message gets across. We each had to make a visual, audio, and kinaesthetic example of each category.

I decided that I would make a List of To-Dos in order of importance (hence Habit 3) as my Visual presentation.

My presentation of Thinking is a collaborative mini podcast with my friends about what Habits we chose and how they relate towards the way we think. https://youtu.be/e-yPauD8NOE

And finally my kinaesthetic presentation (which could still change soon) will be an infographic about different ways of communicate and how to purposely get your message across to the other person.                   

One thought on “7 Habits to become an effective person ☑️”