Film vs script

Hi, for this weekly check-in I’m going to be discussing how scripts can change from draft to production. The reason this week I’m going to be focusing on scripts is because that’s exactly what I’ve been working on in the past week let me explain. So for our Romeo and Juliet project, we have to put on a radio play version of Romeo and Juliet. Scripts fit into that because for the play we have to write our own script for the play.

Now for the main part of this blog post. to talk about draft vs production I’m going to use the movie Big Time Adolescence. The reason I’m using Big Time Adolescence as an example is because it’s a movie that I’ve seen and read an earlier draft of the script for. (if you are interested in reading the script you can find it here)

(Possibly mild spoilers)

The biggest difference between the movie and script draft was definitely the ending. Other than that it was mostly minor things so for this post I’m going to focus on the ending.

So how is the ending different? well, to explain that you need to know a few things. First of all the ending involves punishment for a crime. second of all the ending involves the effects the punishment has on a friendship. Now that I have that explained let’s start with the ending from the script. In the script, the punishment was very lax for the crime that had been committed which in my opinion led to the crime being sort of glorified. Along with the crime not much happened with the friendship. now for the movie, there was a much harsher punishment which I think definitely helped it not glorifying the crime. along with the harsher punishment the friendship was also much more affected in the movie.

The reason I think this is an interesting example is just to show how much your idea can be changed from draft to the final product.

In conclusion, I find it interesting how certain details of a movie can be changed from script to final product. Be that from producer interference or rating reasons.

Is the social network a classic

Hi for this weekly check-in since we have been studying Shakespeare and talking about what makes his plays classics I decided For this check-in I’m going to talk about what makes the Social Network a classic.

The social network is a 2010 biopic about Mark Zuckerberg and the creation of Facebook. It also focuses on the drama and lawsuits that came from that.

Ok now that I’ve given a rough explanation of what the movie is about let’s get into what makes it a classic. The first thing we have to do to figure out why the social network is a classic we need to define what a classic is. After doing some research here’s my list of things that make a movie a classic. The first is it must stick with you past your immediate viewing. Secondly, the movie must be respected and liked by most critics. Finally, it has to influence subsequent films.

For the first of the three I would say at least for me it just has so many iconic scenes and lines that I think of all of the time. This is thanks to Aaron Sorkin who wrote the screenplay being amazing at realistic dialogue. Along with Sorkins great dialogue director David Fincher brings the dialogue to screen in scenes that flow and just feel amazing to watch. Another thing that helps to make this movie memorable is the story because I feel like it’s something that at least I always think about when I hear about Mark Zuckerberg or Facebook. Finally, I feel like this scene is a great example of everything I just talked about.

For the second I would say that without a doubt The Social Network was critically acclaimed scoring a 95 on Metacritic and a 96 on Rotten Tomatoes. Along with its great scores, it also owns three Oscars for writing, editing, and score.

Finally, even though I haven’t seen many movies that were inspired by The Social Network it did lead to an increase in startups and cs majors. Because of that, I would assume that those people will always remember the reason they pursued that career.

Based on those reasons I would say that the social network is a classic and a movie that will be remembered.

Ww2 post

Hi, how’s it going? For this blog post, I’m going to be talking about our most recent project In Their Own Words. For this project we focused on WW2 trying to solve the driving question which was “How might we use stories to understand the causes and consequences of WWII?”

To assist with our podcasts and to help us answer the driving question we had to find an interviewee. For me, I ended up contacting my mom’s friend’s dad who was a WW2 veteran and was a London blitz survivor who had to be evacuated to Canada. The hardest part about contacting my interviewee was probably emailing back and forth since I have always been bad at formatting and writing emails. What I learned from this part of this project was more about how to write and format an email despite that I do still have lots of work to do on my emailing skills.

After finding an interviewee I had to decide on the story I was going to tell and then research more about that story. For my story, I decided to focus on Peter who was my interviewee his experience with the London blitz and having to evacuate to Canada. For my research, I mostly focused on the blitz doing a small amount of general WW2 research. From this part of the project, I learned more about MLA citations because they were a big part of our research and I’m not the best at them.

For this part of the podcast, the competencies were, analyze cause and consequence, using evidence and resources, and global collaborator. For the first competency analyze cause and consequence I felt like I met that through my research on why the Germans decided to bomb London and how that affected the people in London specifically children. For the second competency using evidence and resources, I feel like I met it because the whole point of research is so you have evidence to back up your claims and I did successfully research the topic. For the final competency global collaborator, I feel like I met it because I was able to use my iPad to look at resources from all around the world.

The final thing before I could edit and release my podcast was I had to actually record my interview. The biggest problem I had trying to do my interview was definitely miscommunication. I say that because the first time I was supposed to do my interview because of miscommunication I ended up missing it luckily though I was able to reschedule. Another issue I had was I had issues with Skype. Despite all of the issues in the end I ended up with a great interview that I really enjoyed doing. What I learned from this part of the project was that despite how prepared you think you are you can always be more prepared.

Finally for the editing and release of my podcast. I would have to say this was definitely the hardest part of the podcasting process since not only did the audio from me asking questions not record but also my audio recording as a non-standard file type. To fix the problem of my questions not being recorded I had to go back and re-record them all which was really frustrating. The file type problem was slightly easier I just had to put through a converter then I was fine. After solving all those problems I got to pretty boring editing it was mostly just cutting out pauses and putting different clips together. What I learned in the editing process was that the better prepared for the editing the less time it takes. For the actual distribution of the podcast, we used a program called anchor which allows you to post on tons of different streaming services (if you would like to know more I did a whole post on podcast distribution here).

For this part of the project, the competency’s were Analyze Cause and Consequence, Responding to Text, and Global Collaborator. Since I’ve already covered Analyze Cause and Consequence and Global Collaborator I’m just going to focus on Responding to Text. For responding to text I feel like I met it because throughout my podcast and even before that I was able to connect what I was working on to myself and my experiences.

In conclusion, this was a very interesting project I loved interviewing Peter. I also like learning about WW2 since that’s a topic I have been interested in for a very long time. Finally, my answer to the driving question was looking at an event through stories allows you to experience that event through the eyes of people with potentially vastly different lives which can give you access to different perspectives on the events that took place before and after the war. Ps if you would like to listen to my podcast you can find it here.

Podcasting lessons

Hi for this weekly recap I’m going to be talking about the distributions of podcasts which is something really interesting we learned this week. Before this week I just assumed that podcasters would individually upload their podcasts to individual services like Apple podcasts which is actually wrong. What happens is podcasters will use a program like the one we are using for this project (the program is called the anchor). What these programs will do is they will host your podcast making it available through a link that you can then link to the podcasting websites like Apple podcasts. Another interesting thing I learned is that things like Apple podcasts aren’t even podcast hosting programs there just an online directory that grabs the audio from your hosting program and allows people to listen to it. In conclusion, I think this was a very interesting week and other than the podcast hosting I also learned about editing podcasts and peer critique. Thanks for reading this week’s blog.

Canada during WW2

Hi, welcome to my 7th weekly recap. In this recap, I’m going to be trying something new and focusing on one aspect of something we learned this week. What I’m going to be focusing on is the short documentary we had to read and take notes on. The documentary focused on Canada’s involvement in WW2 which I thought was really interesting because you don’t hear about Canada’s involvement in WW2 that often. The documentary also talked about the increase of women in the workforce. What I think was the most interesting thing I learned in this documentary was probably that Canada supplied the planes that helped wing the war. I thought that was really interesting because not only had I not heard of the hurricane plane I had no clue that Canada even was big on making planes. Finally, I think documentaries like these are important because oftentimes people learn about WW2 through film and tv and lots of the time those shows and movies don’t show Canada and other countries helping. In conclusion, I enjoyed watching this documentary and would recommend if you have 40 minutes to spare you watch it too

WW2 project preparation

For this weekly recap we are going to be talking about what I did last week which was mostly preparation for our new project about WW2 by making a need to know list, learning more about nationalism and starting our search for an interviewee.

For our need to know list it was a little different than usual because instead of adding to one big list we would send our individual need to knows into Showbie. Other than that it was the same as usual.

For nationalism we had to read about it and listen to interviews with multiple veterans who served in different wars. After that we had to write a short one paragraph essay about nationalism what it means and how you can relate to it. My essay had lots of issues because I didn’t pay close enough attention to the rubric. Even though it has lots of issues I plan on fixing them all.

Finally for finding an interviewee what I ended up doing was contacting one of my moms friends dad who is a WW2 veteran and was one of the kids who was evacuated from London during the blitz bombings. After contacting him I gave him a briefing on what the project was about and he agreed to do an interview.

Overall this was a very productive week and really helped me get into the vibe of this project.

Finding an interviewee

Why hello glad to see your back. So your wondering what this post is about? Ok this post is my sixth weekly recap. The two biggest things I did last week was the story research milestone and the story connections milestone.

For the story research milestone which was milestone 2 we had to research about WW2 but more specifically research that would help us with the story we wanted to tell for our podcast. For me since I was interviewing a man who as a kid during the London blitz was evacuated to Canada so I decided to focus my research on that topic. I did that so I would be more prepared for my interview Instead of just researching random stuff about WW2.

For milestone 3 story connections we had to read a short story about a WW2 veteran named John Ivan Anderson and then fill out this sheet.

The sheet is pretty comprehensive asking you to fill in a three act story structure and connect the story to yourself. Where I feel I could have improved on this one is I didn’t add enough detail for the three act structure and I could have overall just detail for everything.

In conclusion this week was very productive and we did do some other things but I thought I would highlight what I thought were the most important things we did the week. Overall there are ways I could and will improve the milestones from this week.

Greatest Canadian

Hi, how’s it going for this month’s blog post I’m going to be talking about our latest project The Greatest Canadian. Now just a quick recap of what we did in this project.

First off the goal of this project was to answer the driving question which was who is the greatest Canadian using a podcast we made.

The first milestone we had to do for this project was a need to know list which we have to do for all projects. The next milestone we had to do was a story mountain for the person we picked as our greatest Canadian. The third milestone we did was research and notes where we had to as per the title research the person we chose finding their biggest accomplishments and contributions to Canada. For the fourth milestone, we had to create a script for our podcast first making a rough draft then our final draft. The second last milestone we had to do was record and edit our podcast. The final milestone was the final podcast draft and interviewee presentation. What we had to do for that was revise our podcast and construct an email for our interviewee.

Overall I felt that I made a good first podcast and I’m proud of it, that being said I feel there were many things I could have improved on. The biggest of those things is my audio because I screwed up my mic audio leading to me needing to do lots of revisions including re-recording all of my lines. One of the other revisions I had to do was fix my music since most of the music I used wasn’t original and the other music I used wasn’t that good so I had to fix that.

What I would do differently is I would double or even triple check my audio so I don’t have to go through the experience of having to re-record the majority of my podcast. Another thing I would like to do differently is more preparation for my interview. I say that because I felt during my interview there was a structure but I don’t feel like it was strong enough which led to some issues with transitions. Finally, I want to spend more time on my music preferably making different music for the intro middle and Outro. Along with making new music I want to decide on a tone for the music that will fit with my podcast.

Finally, I think overall this was a very interesting project and I really enjoyed making a podcast for the first time although as I just talked about there are many things I could have improved. If you want to listen to my podcast here’s the link also feel free to comment with any feedback you have

Weekly recap 4

Hi, welcome to my fourth weekly recap. This recap will be the second final recap for the greatest Canadian project.

Now onto what I learned this week. The majority of this week I spent editing and finalizing my podcast. What that taught me was how important it is to perfect transitions and clean cuts even though mine didn’t end up being perfect. Another thing that I learned working on my podcast is that sometimes things sound worse than they do when recording them and you have to get over that and figure things out. Other than the podcast this week we also watched a the greatest Canadian episode on Tommy Douglas. Watching this gave me a better understanding of storytelling especially the type of storytelling I would need for my podcast. I also learned about a very important part of Canadian history.

Overall this week was very productive I learned a lot. My favourite thing that I learned this week was probably about Tommy Douglas since I found that very intriguing.

Weekly recap 2

This week we mostly focused on lectures where we learned about important dates and people. During these lectures, we had to take notes to hand in later. What I learned from this was better note taking which is a very important skill to learn. Other than the lectures we also worked on researching our greatest Canadians. What I learned from researching my greatest Canadian was a lot of information for possible trivia plus I learned about better more efficient researching. Overall this was a very good and productive week.