Week 6, Why is the sky blue?

Hi guys, I’m here today to talk to you about week 6 of the student blogging challenge, science! Let’s get right into it! my driving question was why the sky is blue, or at least to our eyes.

Turns out, the sky is blue on a cloudless day because Molecules in the air scatter more blue light than red light that they get from the sun. If you want to get more scientific, blue light is scattered more because it travels as shorter and smaller waves than other colours. When you look toward the sun at around sunset, the reason that you see yellow or orange is because the blue light is being pushed out of the way. The ocean actually works the same way as the sky does when we are talking about why its blue. However, in the oceans case, instead of molecules in the air pushing it out of the way, the water absorbs the other colours while it reflects the blue because of their wave frequency’s.

Want to learn more? Check out the video below!

In this video they go over what I talked about and why the sky is blue and they explain in a little better than I do. They also talk about what colour the sun is, why clouds are white, and why the ocean is blue.

Did you learn something new? Comment down below!