Hello blog readers,

Our first unit in humanities is sadly over. I got to admit I really enjoyed this unit. We have been doing this unit for so long it’s hard to say goodbye. Every unit has a driving question and this unit is obviously no exception. This units driving question was “how do authors teach us more about ourselves through text?” At first this question had me stumped but I think I finally got an answer. 

Book Trailer

To start off the year we started with a book. Basically we got to pick a book and read it. The book I picked is More Happy Than Not. My book group consists of Adlih, Kailey, Logan, Isabelle, and Luca. To read about my book visit this post. To read all about making our book trailer visit this post. These two posts go in depth about how my book helped me prepare for the essay about the inquiry question. During the process of this book trailer we did a lot of mini assignment. All these mini assignments for our learning guide were actually very helpful. For example here is my authors voice video. This video is me taking about the author of More Happy.

The Essay

In plp this was our first essay, so we had a lot of practice and preparation time. We would practice making a thesis and conclusionions. We all also made an essay outline. My essay outline was 700 words. I’m not good at writing that’s why I felt like I needed a lot of practice. I memorized my thesis and the points I was going to talk about in my essay. The biggest strength in preparing for an in class essay for me was making the outline. That outline made me think a lot about what I was going to write in the final essay and that helped me a lot. 

The day we got to class to write the essay everyone seemed a little stressed but it was a very calm environment when the essay writing started. Sadly we had to deal with the noisy grade 9’s in the class beside us but with some earbuds we could cancel out the noise.

In plp our teachers encourage a lot of revisions. We always make multiple drafts to be able to produce the best work possible. I made loads of revisions to my essay. I have 4 drafts but I’m honestly so happy we get to revise cause I’m really proud of my final work.

Here is my essay. Click the photo for full essay!

I learned a lot with this unit. I can’t belive we have been working on this since school started. There are so many things I enjoyed but also some things I wish I would have done better. Overall it was a solid unit and I’m excited for our next unit. It’s time for Cray Cray Yay Yay unit.