A Soldiers Diary Entry 

The soldiers fighting for their country and putting their lives on the line everyday during World War I went through unimaginable pain and hardship.  Many of these soldiers went through each and every single day not knowing if they will live to see the next. 

Thousands of Canadian soldiers perished on the battlefields of Europe during this endless war, and each one of them have been commemorated on this Canadian website. Every  soldier who fought in the war had their own lives back home, with family and friends dearly missing them. This website archives documents and information on each Canadian soldier who fought and died on the harsh battlegrounds of the First World War.  

I was assigned to create an acurate diary entry based a fallen soldier of my choice. This diary entry was meant to be written in the tone of the soldier we chose, based on the information about them on the website. A majority of the soldiers whose documents are archived did not have enough information to write about, and this caused me to spend more than twenty minutes searching for a soldier. After much failure in finding a soldier with significant information, I decided to get a little creative with searching. I entered the name of my favourite rapper, Drake, and quickly found a soldier with an interesting story.

Reginald Ezra Drake was a 25 year old farmboy who got drafted into the First World War along with his two brothers. Whilst in the battlefield he was part of a squadron with one of his brothers, as his other brother worked as a transporter of supplies. One day while their squadron was in battle, a stray bullet hit Drake in the left side of his face blowing his jaw clean off. He was sent into hospital care, but later died from the injury. Shortly after he was sent to the hospital, his brother had earned a bravery medallion from the CEF. I wrote my diary entry from Drakes point of view during his last day of life. 

I decided to make my diary entry from the point of view of Drakes last day on earth. The story takes a sharp turn in the end, as Drakes view on the world changes drastically.