Crayfish. Yes.

Crayfish. Yes.

Sadly, the teachers would disagree. The pitch for having a crayfish projected on a giant projector screen was rejected, so we had to make do without it. The shrimp in the business section were, similarly, rejected. Sorry, I should back up a bit. Hello and welcome to our spring exhibition! Or, at least, the blog post I’m writing on it. You can’t turn back time, I’m sorry. The exhibition was good though, really good. As for the theme, impact. It was all about impact on the north shore, by individuals who have truly made a contribution to our community. These are people who’s legacies can be felt by anyone in North Vancouver, whether they know about the person or not. of course, now it’s time to get into that.

Image source: http://www.krcu.org/post/discover-nature-colorful-and-quirky-crayfish

So have you ever heard of Kevin Bell? No, I’m not talking about that one MLB player that kept getting in the way of my online research by having the same name. Anyways, Perhaps you have, perhaps not. Whether you have or not, by the end of this blog post, you will be convinced of his significance. So, Kevin Bell is a man who was instrumental in the designation of Maplewood Flats as a conservation area, and put countless amounts of time into volunteering there. His role in founding the wild bird trust, and saving the good ole’ mudflats, the best birdwatching area in North Van, from being turned into a shopping mall and an “Eco-Friendly” Marina, have truly earned him the title of a local legend. Want to know the best part? Just to lend credence to his status, I’d like to point out that it wasn’t me, him, or his family that I first heard refer to him as a local legend. That was a brief summary of a few of the fantastic qualities of Kevin Bell, now to move on to the research process.

Image source: https://www.nsnews.com/living/memory-lane-full-time-volunteer-works-for-the-birds-3050136

The research process was, as I mentioned earlier, made difficult by the interruptions from other people with the same name, but it was still possible. My main sources of information were an article written partially by Kevin Bell himself, and an interview I did with him over FaceTime. I actually first got in contact with his wife, Trisha after emailing him, and her reading it and responding to me. As for how I got that, well, you’d be surprised how easy it is to get people’s emails when attempting to do so. In other words, I got it by contacting the wild bird trust, got a reply, and was given his email, his wife’s email, etc. Due to the way I did the research, and the interesting person I was researching, it was a really cool experience.

There was more to this project, of course. There was our research on the apple ad campaign “Think different”, specifically the ad “Here’s to the crazy ones” that inspired the project. This was an ad that, while it never directly said “buy apple products”, showed several video clips of people who had been influential and made different decisions than was the norm. Whether or not they would’ve actually wanted to have any affiliation with apple whatsoever, that’s another story, for another time. We also watched movies, namely Schindler’s list and Erin Brockovich, that depicted people who truly worked hard to help others and make an impact, and I must say, movie studies are fun.

Image source: http://wallpapercave.com/think-different-apple-wallpaper

Well, all good things must come to an end, this post too. Please don’t take that out of context anyone reading this, please. Regardless, thank you all for your time, and thank you to our impact makers for changing our lives.

*Brofist*