One Doth Be A Fine Exhibitionist

Good morrow, fine folk! By royal decree of the mighty king Nathan I of the domain of YoBoyNyate, prince of tardiness in regards to his blog posts, accomplished collector of mental disorders and frustrator of minor authority figures, thou shalt read through this informing and bounteous notice to ultimate completion on pain of missing out on this post! Thou’rt most decidedly wondering, what, praytell, could this strong and beautiful monarch be offering from his archives most plentiful in golden words? Thou shalt know the truth by, and only by, enduring this egotistical introduction for but a pittance of moments. In a few words, we mighty learners of the PLP program hath been educated most definitively on the subject of Shakespeare. For the boors in the audience ever present in all but the classiest establishments, here be thine context for the reversal of thy peasant mind.

Image source: http://www.yurtopic.com/society/people/shakespeare-facts.html

Ah, sorry about that, I couldn’t help but indulge my Shakespearean side. In all seriousness though, it seems “King Nathan I” left out the important detail of this also being related to our PLP winter exhibition. Notice how I linked the program. See, I realize I should’ve been doing that since grade 8, but it is what it is. Anyways, we do an exhibition showing off all our learning every year, which explains the title of this post for you dirty minded folks out there. So, without further ado, let’s get into it!

So, what to talk about first… hmm… need to think… unnecessary space fillers for comedic effect are good… they would also make this post seem far longer and more clever than it is… the reader either chuckled or rolled their eyes at that… the writer is grinning inside but outwardly showing off a serious case of RBS… oh yeah! I should talk about our amazing learning process! Hmm… what to start with… hard to be sure… oh yeah! We watched a lot of adaptations on our play of study, Macbeth, you know, milk of human kindness, ‘twere well it were done quickly etc. Naturally, we took notes, which unlike other years, I actually DID participate in, so it was only fun to a reasonable-for-school extent, but still, not bad! By studying these adaptations we learned a ton about the playwriting process, which equipped us for the future in which we would write our own plays. Let’s see… mine was about… okay, okay, I’ll stop doing that. Mine was a highly recommended-against scenario, specifically, I tackled the subject of the Irish mob. I’m not going to tell you ALL about my back-and-forth journey with all my writes and rewrites, just that I got a chance to F.A.I.L (first attempt in learning), S.A.I.L (second attempt in learning), T.A.I.L, F.A.I.L again, F.A.I.L again. S.A.I.L again, and I think you get the idea. In the end, I had a product that I believed I could be truly proud of. Not everything went perfect, mind you, but hey, that’s just what it it means to F.A.I.L. On a sidenote, I learned while writing this just how many numbers can be made into a _________. Attempt. In. Learning acronym.

image source:
site

Anyways, regardless of my last sentence, it’s not like I didn’t drop a huge bomb, with “not everything went according to plan” so I do believe I should talk about it. First of all, my scene was based around a huge knife fight, and the first issue with that was that I had completely forgotten to make fake knives, and I couldn’t really rewrite the whole thing on the night of the exhibition, so I managed to ahold of some butter knives. Remember that, it’ll matter later. Next was a mess-up with much more immediate consequences. So, I had volunteered to give the introduction of behalf of my theme group, which is a group made up of those who all decided on a common theme that describes all of their “Macbeth” adaptations. Now, this shouldn’t have been a problem, but I had the really bright idea of just improvising the whole thing based on some key points. That didn’t go over very well, meaning it started well, but I completely messed up and was promptly escorted off stage, then out of the building via one of those cartoon hooks they use to pull actors off stage. Just kidding, I kinda just walked away. Good news, my teacher wasn’t mad at me, as she said everyone would forget about all of this in 5 minutes. The real problem, however, came during my own performance. Aside from myself, it featured Jakub Hoffman and Logan Wickstone, and there was a little problem with line memorization, and not on my part. Regardless, the biggest mistake was mine to make. Remember those butter knives from before? Well, I may or may not have accidentally cut Jakub with one, both while rehearsing and in the play itself. Not much of the audience noticed, but I felt really bad about it. Jakub wasn’t mad, but honestly, it was a serious bad decision to use the butter knives so aggressively on my part. Like I said earlier, we all F.A.I.L from time to time.

Image source: https://thesurvivallife.com/fight-with-knife.html

In everyone’s life, they have things they want to do, and things they don’t. Furthermore, they tend to want some things more than others. I myself want to slack off, but I want to produce good quality work and get into university more than that, so here we are. It’s time to talk about the curricular competencies. Questioning is one them, and I’d say my questioning abilities are pretty solid, but not amazing, my reasoning being that I asked tons of questions of both my peers and my teachers about how to make my work better, however I could’ve asked even more, could’ve asked better questions, and could’ve been less demanding. On the topic of analyzing, I did pretty great. Why? Well, simply put, I worked hard on doing a faithful and thought-out interpretation of “Macbeth” that made sense on multiple levels, and it paid off as I see it. In terms of communication, I would go so far as to say I excelled. It seems cocky just to write this, but here we go. If there’s one thing I know how to do, it’s speak in front of a crowd with confidence, volume, and, more importantly, a lack of embarrassment. I truly let this, along with my rather apt proficiency in acting shine during the exhibition, and it honestly felt wonderful.

Well, when all’s said and done, that was a relatively easy and low-stress exhibition. Our teachers might disagree, but honestly, at least in grade 11, most of the work was done a while BEFORE exhibition night, and it honestly wasn’t even that much work. That’s really all I have to say, except for one other thing